Soloed yesterday...

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Horatio

Re: Soloed yesterday...

Post by Horatio »

I could always bring along a navigator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEatUIZzO_o
SP-ASEL (tailwheel)
Luscombe 8A
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

The only time I would do "pure ded reconing" would be if I flew over absolute barren terrain or open ocean.
Lay out your DR course, then do a "map reconnaissance" as I called them in another life. Is there a rail road, highway, river, power line or ridge line that parallels your route of flight? If so, then file those facts away.
Then after you figure all the winds you get down to knowing you've got to fly xxx degrees on the compass for yy minutes (there's your DR part). BUT you also know there's a RR track that parallels your route the last half of the way. If the winds are trying to make you cross them, then you know winds aren't as forecast and you need to adjust. You might also have noticed a river five miles beyond your destination, so if you cross that river, you know you've flown beyond (perhaps that headwind you were expecting lessened or even turned around into a push. If that happens then you know to (say) turn left and follow the river until you hit the interstate bridge
which will lead you straight back to the airport.
- Bruce
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

Thanks, Bruce. Everything I've read so far includes pilotage within DR planning. Frankly, I'm not quite sure how to fly just by pilotage, unless following roads or flying from one prominent checkpoint to another. There seems to be a lot of overlap.
SP-ASEL (tailwheel)
Luscombe 8A
drseti

Post by drseti »

The only time I would do "pure ded reconing" would be if I flew over absolute barren terrain or open ocean.
In addition to flying over open water or featureless terrain, pure DR is also essential in instrument flight, so you know your exact position and route to destination in the event of an electronic nav failure.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US