Soloed yesterday...

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Horatio

Soloed yesterday...

Post by Horatio »

at 7.7 hours. It was my second actual solo, but my first in a tailwheel airplane. The final landing was smooth as butter. Will post a pic sometime later. Cross-country training begins next week. :mrgreen:
SP-ASEL (tailwheel)
Luscombe 8A
David

Re: Soloed yesterday...

Post by David »

Horatio wrote:at 7.7 hours. It was my second actual solo, but my first in a tailwheel airplane. The final landing was smooth as butter. Will post a pic sometime later. Cross-country training begins next week. :mrgreen:
Congratulations - keep going and in short time you will be posting "I passed my check ride" :)
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

David wrote:Congratulations - keep going and in short time you will be posting "I passed my check ride" :)
Thanks. Things are moving a little faster than I thought. I guess I didn't forget everything I learned and practiced 25 years ago. The next challenge will be manipulating a chart, E6B and plotter while flying a stick.
SP-ASEL (tailwheel)
Luscombe 8A
jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

Horatio wrote: The next challenge will be manipulating a chart, E6B and plotter while flying a stick.
Attention to trimming pays big dividends.
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

jnmeade wrote:Attention to trimming pays big dividends.
No doubt. That should help in training my left hand to mind the stick while my right hand is writing checkpoint times, etc.
SP-ASEL (tailwheel)
Luscombe 8A
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

Horatio wrote:
jnmeade wrote:Attention to trimming pays big dividends.
No doubt. That should help in training my left hand to mind the stick while my right hand is writing checkpoint times, etc.
In the two planes I have most cross country flying in (which admittedly isn't much), the Tomahawk and an old 172, once it the elevator was trimmed, I could lift a wing that was starting to drop with a quick jab of the rudder, or a light bump on the bottom of the yoke with one knee or the other. I wondered how well pinching the stick between my knees would work for very small corrections.
- Bruce
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

Merlinspop wrote:In the two planes I have most cross country flying in (which admittedly isn't much), the Tomahawk and an old 172, once it the elevator was trimmed, I could lift a wing that was starting to drop with a quick jab of the rudder, or a light bump on the bottom of the yoke with one knee or the other. I wondered how well pinching the stick between my knees would work for very small corrections.
I think using the "nudging" technique (once trimmed) will help as well, but pinching the stick may not be possible. My instructor says "there's plenty of room" in which to work ("No one's sitting beside you!"), but he's been flying the plane cross country for umpteen years. I've ordered a kneeboard and hopefully it will arrive before the flight so I can do some chair flying.

I'm sure my instructor will enjoy the spectacle. It's only a 27 nm flight, but he wants me to use DR on one leg and pilotage on the other. I'd forego a "howgoesit" sheet, but I want to organize the radio frequencies and record times for the DR leg. The challenge for me will be coordinating the planner sheet with the sectional.

Other tips are welcome! :mrgreen:
SP-ASEL (tailwheel)
Luscombe 8A
langj

Post by langj »

I fly with a knee board on every plane that will let me. Center sticks and the skycatcher stoke allows for knee boards, sticks between the legs would hit the knee board. My solution to this problem was to not strap the knee board to my leg and use it when in straight level flight and store it behind the seat during take off and landings. Disappointing part is thats really when I get the most use out of them. During my x-country with the instructor I used his lap to store all my crap I needed and when on solo that empty seat can be useful to store ipad's and knee board.
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

langj wrote:During my x-country with the instructor I used his lap to store all my crap I needed and when on solo that empty seat can be useful to store ipad's and knee board.
I'll have to try this! :D

I'm sure it will all sort itself out, and the kneeboard would really only help during the XC portion anyway, as a solid writing surface. A small clipboard would probably work just as well. My iPad with EFB and moving map software would really simplify things, but my instructor is a stickler for using basic tools, at least during training.

Batteries die, you know.
SP-ASEL (tailwheel)
Luscombe 8A
drseti

Post by drseti »

Horatio wrote:Batteries die, you know.
My reason exactly for still teaching the E6B whiz-wheel (that, plus I'm a dinosaur...)

Which reminds me of the pilot's definition of flashlight: "convenient place for storing your dead batteries". (Not from the AIM!). :wink:
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

For Horatio that empty seat will be a little hard to get to because it is behind him in the Champ.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Tom, you just hit on one of the selling point of the Chief (or your T-craft)!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

3Dreaming wrote:For Horatio that empty seat will be a little hard to get to because it is behind him in the Champ.
Agreed. My arms are not that long!
drseti wrote:Tom, you just hit on one of the selling point of the Chief (or your T-craft)!
The Chief and the Luscombe 8A are high on my list for eventual ownership. :mrgreen:
SP-ASEL (tailwheel)
Luscombe 8A
drseti

Post by drseti »

There happens to be an incredibly well restored and maintained Luscombe 8A on my airport, for sale at $28k. If you want to be put in touch with the owner, just PM me your contact information.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

drseti wrote:There happens to be an incredibly well restored and maintained Luscombe 8A on my airport, for sale at $28k. If you want to be put in touch with the owner, just PM me your contact information.
Thanks Paul, but it will be some time before I can buy anything.
SP-ASEL (tailwheel)
Luscombe 8A