Spin Training.

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

designrs

Re: Spin Training.

Post by designrs »

Here's a pretty interesting spin recovery article and video:
http://axenty.com/blog/training/recovering-from-a-spin/
Kangajab

Post by Kangajab »

From what I have been told, the makers of one of the newer aircraft fitted with a BRS, were encouraged to do so by governing bodies, because they didn't recover easily from a spin. Keep in mind, the chances are you will likely wreck your aircraft from the hard landing a BRS will provide, plus possible spinal injuries. So I'd want to know how to recover from a spin, before opting for a BRS solution.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Kangajab wrote:From what I have been told, the makers of one of the newer aircraft fitted with a BRS, were encouraged to do so by governing bodies, because they didn't recover easily from a spin. Keep in mind, the chances are you will likely wreck your aircraft from the hard landing a BRS will provide, plus possible spinal injuries. So I'd want to know how to recover from a spin, before opting for a BRS solution.
If a spin is recoverable, the pilot should recover. If not, or the spin is at low altitude, the BRS is an excellent option.

While spinal injuries are always a concern in a crash, I am not aware of significant numbers of spinal injuries in BRS deployments.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
designrs

Post by designrs »

I believe that Cirrus has impact absorbing seat cushions to help against spinal injury. Accordingly, you're not supposed to step on the seats as they are crushable. It would be nice if more BRS equipped planes had that seat technology as well.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

designrs wrote:I believe that Cirrus has impact absorbing seat cushions to help against spinal injury. Accordingly, you're not supposed to step on the seats as they are crushable. It would be nice if more BRS equipped planes had that seat technology as well.
The CT seats are "suspended" by a fabric strap and a couple of pins. I'm pretty sure in a hard belly impact like a landing under the BRS the seats would have a lot of give to them. Plus the landing gear on both the CT and the Cirrus will collapse and eat up a lot of the impact force. Unless the landing is on water.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
BrianL99

Post by BrianL99 »

Kangajab wrote:From what I have been told, the makers of one of the newer aircraft fitted with a BRS, were encouraged to do so by governing bodies, because they didn't recover easily from a spin. Keep in mind, the chances are you will likely wreck your aircraft from the hard landing a BRS will provide, plus possible spinal injuries. So I'd want to know how to recover from a spin, before opting for a BRS solution.

The second you consider pulling the parachute, is the same instant you decide your airplane now belongs to the insurance company.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

BrianL99 wrote:The second you consider pulling the parachute, is the same instant you decide your airplane now belongs to the insurance company.
Actually, parachute or not, the second you step into the airplane, it belongs to the insurance company -- you're merely borrowing it from them.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

BrianL99 wrote:

The second you consider pulling the parachute, is the same instant you decide your airplane now belongs to the insurance company.
My CTSW instructor calls the BRS handle the "ownership transfer handle". :lol:
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
designrs

Post by designrs »

MrMorden wrote:My CTSW instructor calls the BRS handle the "ownership transfer handle". :lol:
The euphemism is amusing of course, but seriously, aircraft ownership and economics should not be a factor in the deciding to pull the chute or not.

What SHOULD the pilot be thinking?
Of course there are the "no brainier" situations:
1) uncontrollable plane
2) incapacitated pilot
3) zero visibility forced landing

How much risk am I taking by landing this here myself vs. the uncontrolled chute... and a totaled airplane? (See you still find yourself saying it.)

Maybe a better question is:

Will I be more likely to live and be less injured?
Last edited by designrs on Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

designrs wrote:Maybe a better question is:

Will I be more likely to live and be less injured?
And an even better question is:

Will my passengers be more likely to live and be less injured?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

I get a little concerned when I read posts about an emergency situation and damage to the aircraft becomes part of the equation. IMHO the choice is always the option that has the lowest risk for injury for the occupants and aircraft damage is of zero consideration.
dave
BrianL99

Post by BrianL99 »

designrs wrote:
MrMorden wrote:My CTSW instructor calls the BRS handle the "ownership transfer handle". :lol:

How much risk am I taking by landing this here myself vs. the uncontrolled chute.
If you have any ability to control the airplane, you will most likely maintain most of that control after a chute pull.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

BrianL99 wrote:
designrs wrote:

How much risk am I taking by landing this here myself vs. the uncontrolled chute.
If you have any ability to control the airplane, you will most likely maintain most of that control after a chute pull.
I think you got some bad information. Control of the airplane comes from air flowing over the wings and control surfaces. When your under canopy with a chute pull you no longer have the required air flowing over the control surfaces, meaning you have no control. The canopy that is used for a BRS is a round canopy, and has no means of steering. This is unlike the chutes you see people jump with. With the chute pulled you are at the mercy of the wind.