Sport Pilot Flight Training Plan For A Busy College Student

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

N918KT

Sport Pilot Flight Training Plan For A Busy College Student

Post by N918KT »

Hello all. My semester is ending next week for the summer but I am still busy for the next few weeks. I also have a summer job to make income for my flight training. I am also thinking of transferring to a flight school that is dedicated to sport pilot for this summer.

I have been taking flight training on and off for the past few years and I am still a presolo student with quite a number of hours. But I believe that is because I have not set a specific goal to my flight training. I know I want to get a sport pilot certificate but in reality, I never really had thought of a way of how to to do it, nor set a deadline to do a specific task in my training. Without specific ways on how I could accomplish those smaller tasks, with deadlines, I am wandering off in my training.

I believe that I may be able to start training again for the summer in early June. I was thinking of knocking out my first solo at least by the end of this summer in August before going back to college. Would that be a reasonable goal, if I had the time to fly twice a week or once a week at least?

Then I was thinking of continuing training during winter break while knocking out other requirements and maybe finishing training by next summer. I haven't figured out what specific requirements I would knock out after this summer.

Would this be a reasonable flight training plan?
Jack Tyler

Re: Sport Pilot Flight Training Plan For A Busy College Stud

Post by Jack Tyler »

We have some very experienced instructors here who can better answer your questions. It sounds to me like you are still describing the same 'hopscotch' training regimen that's contributed to many hours and no solo: spend time flying & building skills, then laying off flying while the skills degrade, followed by again remastering what you lost. This sequence is more expensive, more time consuming and - worst of all - more likely to lead to you eventually giving up altogether.

But here's a related suggestion: One of the common themes you will find here, when discussing which aircraft to purchase, is to first consider the mission(s). The intended mission(s) to be flown by the owner is the horse, the aircraft choice is the cart. There's a parallel to this in the training arena insofar as I'm concerned: First consider how you plan to use the license you earn, both short & longer term. That's the horse or the 'mission'. Will it be fun flying, mostly local hops, sharing short flights with a friend? Or occasionally visiting distant relatives, flying after school or work during the shorter winter days when a night landing is not uncommon, wanting to fly both your parents or multiple friends somewhere, together? IMO the SPL is more the cart for the first group, the PPL the better cart for the second group. I'm suggesting you be certain you are working towards the right license...OR at least pursue the SPL with a CFI instructor that would allow you to apply most of your SPL training to the PPL ticket.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

In my experience, students learn most quickly when they train a couple of hours or more per week, just as you shoot free throws better if you shoot hoops every noon hour rather than a couple of times a month.

To train most efficiently and effectively, you need a syllabus. Some are not written down but it never hurts to have one in writing. That does not mean it is in concrete. This is a road map from where you are to where you are going and should list a logical progression of the training, conditions and standards to be accomplished in order. The lesson plan is how you get from the syllabus to the day's training. It probably should be in writing as much for the student as for the instructor.

The place to start with what to do and to design the syllabus is with the FARs and Performance Test Standards. That tells you the what. The 'how' can be obtained from the POH/AOM and a number of good FAA Handbooks.

Go through the FARs and list the things you have to do and the number of minimum hours and the sequence you have to do. You'll have to look in the Sport Pilot section of Part 61 and in the pre-solo student section. You may have to look in the PTS to inform the standards etc of the FAR. When you are done, you have a half a page that is a list of what to do and what order to do it in. Now, turn each entry into a lesson plan and expand as necessary.

Any good CFI should have a syllabus. It sounds to me like no one has sat down with you and said here is where we are, here is where we are going and this is how we are going to get there.
drseti

Post by drseti »

jnmeade wrote:Any good CFI should have a syllabus. It sounds to me like no one has sat down with you and said here is where we are, here is where we are going and this is how we are going to get there.
This lack of a master plan is not uncommon when one moves between multiple flight schools, instructors, or aircraft. Consistency helps a lot. There's nothing wrong with shopping around for the right school, plane, and instructor (at first), but at some point consistency becomes important, and the sooner you can settle down into a training routine, the more effective will be your time spent studying (both in the air and on the ground). Commitment, on both your part and your instructor's, is one key to success.

Think about your college experience. Do you just take an occasional course as the mood strikes you, in whatever field of study interests you at the moment? If so, after ten years of exploring your various interests, you may find yourself no closer to a degree than when you started. (I have a 28 year old son in exactly this situation). The successful student decides on a major in his or her first year, gets a college catalog that lists all courses required to complete that major, looks at the schedule to see when which course is offered and what the prerequisites are for each, builds a four-year schedule on paper to properly sequence the required courses, and fits in interesting electives around the required courses to fill out every semester's schedule (with alternatives in mind if a given course happens to already be full come registration time). If you're lucky, you have a department advisor or school counsellor to meet with, to help you through this process.

Here's where the CFI comes in. Think of him or her as your department advisor or school counsellor. Together, you two develop your program. You think in terms of a Plan B for every course (training module), sequence them, and throw in some fun electives to help hold your interest. It helps if your CFI is an experienced educator used to working through individualized curriculum with diverse student populations, but even an hours-builder should be able to customize your training program, as long as you can articulate your goals, needs, and constraints. Without a plan, you'll find yourself just taking courses, and ten years downstream will have lots of student load debt, but no degree. :(

As for a syllabus and lesson plans, if your CFI doesn't already have these, be proactive and supply them yourself! There are any number of inexpensive standardized packages that make a good starting point, and can be tweaked to your needs. Gleim, for example, publishes Training Records for Sport, Private, Commercial, Instrument, Flight Instructor, etc., for about $10 each. They outline the full curriculum, including training objectives and completion standards (taken directly from the appropriate PTS) for each lesson, and allow the CFI to check off what maneuvers you did, and what level of competency you demonstrated, on every flight.

Here, for example, is the Gleim Sport Pilot training record:

http://www.gleim.com/products/productde ... ecord-book

I provide this for each of my SP candidates. If your school doesn't use something similar, you should invest the $10, get it yourself, take it with you to your lessons, and ask your CFI to start following it and recording all your lessons in it, as well as more succinctly in your logbook.

Be proactive, Kevin. Think of this as an opportunity for you to teach the teacher! :D
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

Thanks for the advice everyone!
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

drseti, check your PMs.
dnomyar

Post by dnomyar »

In my personal opinion you need a plan. You can do this in as little as 30 days, if you have a plan and with the proper information handy or at your fingertips. If you don't want to play games and you want to get your license in as little as one month or at least very close to one month you need a goal and all your materials. There are places where you can get all the information and help you need in one place, which will make your 30 day goal attainable. People tell me it can't be done, but I know for a fact they are wrong, if you do it properly. Not only can it be done, but with the proper information you can learn the cheapest way and save money too.....
Ray
Professor
It's All Here: Private Pilot's License In 30 Days!
drseti

Post by drseti »

Ray,
I see that you are new to this forum, and that this is your first post. So, as moderator, I'd like to welcome you aboard. I also see we are in the same profession, and the same state. Do you care to share where you teach, what airport you fly out of, and where in PA you live? Also, a word of introduction (type of flying you do, kind of plane you fly) is always welcome.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
dnomyar

Post by dnomyar »

Hi Paul;

Nice to meet you! It looks like you are pretty close to me. I live in Bethlehem, Pa and I fly out of ABE airport in Allentown.

I love teaching, but I was retired as a teacher at the Orlando naval base in Florida when they decided to shut the base down. I taught at the naval college there. I taught computers, electronics, communications, math and physics.

Thank you for your gracious welcome, hope to see and hear more of you in the future!
drseti wrote:Ray,
I see that you are new to this forum, and that this is your first post. So, as moderator, I'd like to welcome you aboard. I also see we are in the same profession, and the same state. Do you care to share where you teach, what airport you fly out of, and where in PA you live? Also, a word of introduction (type of flying you do, kind of plane you fly) is always welcome.
Ray
Professor
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

Hello Ray. I am from New Jersey but currently take sport pilot flight training over at Allentown Queen City Municipal Airport with a flight school dedicated to sport pilot training.

I have a new flight training plan. I will try get to at least my first solo before I go back to college in late August. My CFI told me that I am close to my first solo. I will then study and take the written test during my fall semester of college. Then in winter break, I will try to fly as often as possible, maybe even everyday during winter break so I can get my sport pilot license before I start my spring semester of college. And winter break would probably be my last chance to get my license before I graduate from college in May 2014 and life commitments take over.
dnomyar

Post by dnomyar »

Hello N918KT;

Ah, I know Queen City Airport well. You should do fine there! However, I do not envy your schedule! I am sure juggling between school, flight training and other commitments your head must be spinning. It does sound like you have a plan and that is good.

I would like to point out one thing. Training to fly is a very serious endeavor. I always say when your training you should eat, sleep and drink your training. You should have a clear head and concentrate on your studies and technique. I also recommend you do all your training in one block, so as to maintain a good rhythm or flow until you achieve your goal, your license.

I realize all that might not be possible with your present schedule, but should be followed as close as you can for the best and safest results. I wish you the best of luck and please be careful.....
N918KT wrote:Hello Ray. I am from New Jersey but currently take sport pilot flight training over at Allentown Queen City Municipal Airport with a flight school dedicated to sport pilot training.

I have a new flight training plan. I will try get to at least my first solo before I go back to college in late August. My CFI told me that I am close to my first solo. I will then study and take the written test during my fall semester of college. Then in winter break, I will try to fly as often as possible, maybe even everyday during winter break so I can get my sport pilot license before I start my spring semester of college. And winter break would probably be my last chance to get my license before I graduate from college in May 2014 and life commitments take over.
Ray
Professor
deltafox

Post by deltafox »

Hello Ray. Let me add another welcome! I also live close by and fly my PiperSport out of Butter Valley (7N8). Stop in for some coffee!
Dave
dnomyar

Post by dnomyar »

Hi Dave;

Thank you for the warm welcome and the coffee sounds great. I have quite a busy schedule lately, but in the future I would love to take you up on that offer. Your not that far away and it's beautiful over there.

My best regards to you.....
Ray
Professor
David

Post by David »

deltafox wrote:Hello Ray. Let me add another welcome! I also live close by and fly my PiperSport out of Butter Valley (7N8). Stop in for some coffee!
Well I'll jump on the welcome wagon also, as my neighbor to the north (Dave) beat me to the welcome. I’m the other Dave south of 7N8 at KPTW Heritage field and fly a RV12. Welcome to the Forum and good to have another PA pilot on the forum.
David
EAA 1250 KPTW PA
RV12 EAB - Maiden flight 8/30/12
David's RV12 http://www.rv12pilot.com
dnomyar

Post by dnomyar »

Hi David;

Thanks for the welcome, I really do appreciate it. Looks like we could have a regular party over there in Butter Valley! Glad to hear from all you guys in Pa. It's good to know you have a lot of good buddies near by and coffee lovers too! I can't start the day without my java.....
Ray
Professor