Aborted Takeoff

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

designrs

Aborted Takeoff

Post by designrs »

CharlieTango wrote:Personally I use the 5 second rule. I know that my CT should be flying in roughly 5 seconds and if isn't I begin to question why not and think about aborting the takeoff.
Love this insightful quote, but would add... if anything doesn't feel right on takeoff and you can very safely abort do so immediately. No harm done. Then evaluate and check out whatever needs checking.

This just saved my butt (not related to density altitude, but something else). There really was no time to think. It was more instinctive like, "something feels wrong... shut it down!"

It took me a minute or two on taxi afterward to figure out what had happened.
Had I pushed that takeoff it would not have been pleasant!
Merlinspop

Re: Aborted Takeoff

Post by Merlinspop »

As a learning point to the rest of us, and COMPLETELY unrelated to your post above, could you complete the following:

"I know a guy who once had to abort a takeoff because of ________"

Thanks!

Bruce
- Bruce
designrs

Post by designrs »

Great suggestion Bruce to make this thread more viable!

I know a guy who once had to abort a takeoff because:
he was rushing due to traffic in the pattern and failed to obtain proper airspeed, nose wheel was lifted but the controls just felt wrong. At the time he didn't immediately realize what was wrong. So a quick and surely safe aborted takeoff opportunity saved the day. (Seems pretty stupid, and it is, but it once happened to an airline captain that was flying recreationally in his brand new plane with tragic results.)
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

Control/gust locks?

Oh... you said he failed to obtain proper airspeed. That reminds me of the time that my instructor re-attached the pitot tube cover after I did my pre-flight because he wanted me to see what a mud-dauber can do. He also taught me to triple check that the passenger closed the door correctly.
- Bruce
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

Merlinspop wrote:As a learning point to the rest of us, and COMPLETELY unrelated to your post above, could you complete the following:

Thanks!

Bruce
Turkeys on the runway.
Geese on the runway.

During my PP checkride I taxied onto the runway and saw the local skydive jump plane taxi out to take off in the other direction. I did a quick U-turn and cleared the runway before he started his roll. I must have done the right thing because the DPE was good with it. Neither one of us heard a radio call from him and I did make a call.
PP-ASEL, Flight Design CTSW owner.
jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

A couple. On my SES checkride, I wasn't getting the speed I want as the shore neared, so I aborted and started over. On a King Air takeoff, I couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting enough thrust so aborted, only to find out I'd neglected to push the prop levers full forward (duh!)
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

Merlinspop wrote:As a learning point to the rest of us, and COMPLETELY unrelated to your post above, could you complete the following:

Thanks!

Bruce
Lee Vining now has a new runway and the hump in the middle is gone. In the past it had a hump in the middle and people that lived nearby would use the runway to walk their dogs because everything else was covered in snow.

I am a guy who once had to abort a takeoff because of a lady walking her dog on the short high altitude runway.

I have also had to abort due to a total power loss caused by either rubber debris or a stuck float.

I have also had to abort a landing, after touching down due to a pick up truck pulling out in front of me. I was landing on a road because a door latch failed and the door was banging on the underside of the wing. It was all worth it when I saw the look on the cowboy's face 8)
drseti

Post by drseti »

Three decades back in my old Beech Sierra, I aborted when I had plenty of groundspped on the roll, but airspeed didn't register. Turned out to be a broken pitot line. The abort was a non-event.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
langj

Post by langj »

Charlie tango. Lee vinning has a runway? I have been to Hawthorne but never landed in lee vinning. I am planning to fly over mono lake in a week or two will have to land there now.
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

drseti

Post by drseti »

Nice photo. I've overflown O24, but never landed there.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

drseti wrote:Nice photo. I've overflown O24, but never landed there.
Well next time drop in! I'll buy you a brine shrimp sandwich :shock:
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

I bet even I could spot that runway from more than a couple miles out!
- Bruce
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

Merlinspop wrote:I bet even I could spot that runway from more than a couple miles out!
There are lots of mountains to spoil that view.

langj

Post by langj »

Well, it's now on my list of airports to fly to. I have been trying to fly to all the local airports. Thanks for the photos.