Aborted Takeoff

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

drseti

Re: Aborted Takeoff

Post by drseti »

saintlfd wrote:my CFI said something that I first took to be 'full power'. When he repeated himself I realized, as I noticed the flashing red light on the panel, that he actually said 'pull power'.
There's another important lesson here for all of us, Dave, and that has to do with establishing a standard vocabulary, and sticking to it. Just as we all drill on the proper procedure for positive transfer of control, so should we agree in advance upon terminology for other foreseeable events. A command of "go around" or "abort takeoff," if briefed and practiced, should be instantly recognizable.

I once told a student "takeoff flaps." So, she did, She took off the flaps! :cry: Now, I practice with the students, commanding "flaps zero," "flaps fifteen," "flaps thirty," etc. And of course the student has to repeat that back to me for confirmation before executing.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

I had a similar misunderstanding during some of my lessons. One time, I heard my CFI said something about the throttle during climbout on takeoffs doing touch and gos. For some reason, I pulled back on the throttle thinking he wants me to do that for some reason. He told me that I should have full throttle on climbout and I already knew that I thought he told me something different. He actually wanted to see if I had my hand on the throttle during climbout.

Sometimes when a CFI tells you one thing, you almost impulsively do the opposite for some reason. CFIs do you experience the same thing from your students?
saintlfd

Post by saintlfd »

Sometimes when a CFI tells you one thing, you almost impulsively do the opposite for some reason.
How true!
I was surprised, in my early training, to find myself doing contrary things, especially when I was mentally saturated. As a newbie, I think it is easy for your brain to make improper associations like the following:
Stick goes back for nose to go up, so throttle goes back for nose to go up.
I want the whiskey compass to turn right, so I bank the plane right.
Stick goes forward for nose to go down, so to relieve back pressure in cruise (to allow stick to go forward)--trim down.

CFI's, remember, we students are just now learning things you have known for years.
DAVE
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Maybe those of you with instructional experience can comment on this:

"You have to brief the departure. You have to."

This is one of the things I learned from my son several years ago, who in turn learned it in Primary & now teaches it as a Navy RAG instructor. 'Brief the flight, fly the brief.' is the Navy's term. I sure didn't learn it during my PPL training, nor was it emphasized in my IR and that was being done by a retired USAF colonel who flew military for 24 years. It really is - IMO anyway - a key step in flying safely.

So here's my Q: In what ways, if at all, is the SPL or PPL student taught about 'briefing the flight' (not just the departure, but the whole flight) in their program? At what point is it introduced? How formal are the steps - e.g. is a standard brief protocol offered in the SPL curriculum? Since I was clueless about this - in a structured, disciplined way - until just a few years ago, I find myself wondering if it's still ignored except when an individual instructor brings it to his/her program.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
saintlfd

Post by saintlfd »

I have 35 dual hours spread among 5 CFI's, ranging from low hours to many years of instructing--no briefing to date.
DAVE
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

One of my several instructors did have me note out loud "there's a field 10* left of the departure end (or whatever) if I need it until XXX ft on the altimeter". And then while enroute to continually make mental notes of "there'a nice field if I need it" "there's a nice stretch of road" "such and such airport is X miles to my left". Or "crap... maybe I shouldn't have flight planned to go over this area".

I kinda do this now without really thinking about it now. I guess it goes all the way back to my days in the Infantry having been drilled to constantly think "if we make contact right now, what do I do". Heck, I do that even now walking down the street. :shock:

Bruce
- Bruce