VOR Question, Direct-TO Indicators on HSI of a Dynon EFIS

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

jandras

VOR Question, Direct-TO Indicators on HSI of a Dynon EFIS

Post by jandras »

Hi All, I train in an Evektor Sportstar that has a Dynon EFIS-D100 and a Garmin SL30 NavCom. The EFIS includes an HSI indicator.

When I have a VOR tuned in, the Direct-TO indicator always shows the heading to fly directly to the station (the yellow diamond-tipped indicator below), or "reciprocally speaking," the radial from the station. For help with triangulating position in my "Lost-Diversion" training, I want to see two VORs at the same time. So, I am trying to figure out if I can do that and, if so, how to get the secondary or "standby" Direct-TO indicator to show up too (the orange colored circle-tipped indicator below).

I tossed in a generic image of the Garmin SL30 for good measure.

Has anybody done this? If so, steps?

Thanks!

drseti

Re: VOR Question, Direct-TO Indicators on HSI of a Dynon EFI

Post by drseti »

In my SportStar (similar setup except the SL-30 drives a mechanical OBS), the standby nav frequency drives the digital RMI on the SL-30's front panel. Useful for identifying an intersection of two radials. You have to hold in the Nav button to enter this mode.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
jandras

Re: VOR Question, Direct-TO Indicators on HSI of a Dynon EFI

Post by jandras »

Thanks Paul! After reading about that in the Garmin manual, that may help me with my triangulation work. I'm not sure it is, but I hope that the standby data is also being passed on to the digital HSI.

I wish there was some way to dial in two different VORs on the ground.