Turn Smart - NAAA Ag Video

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

jnmeade

Turn Smart - NAAA Ag Video

Post by jnmeade »

NAAA put out a 15 minute video by 25 year ag pilot and now aerobatic performer Wayne Handley showing the aerodynamics of turns.
He tells how you get into trouble in steep, tight turns and how to get out of them.
Now, no one is suggesting that we fly our LSA as the video shows the Raven and ag planes being flown, but the understanding of what happens in the base-final cross-controlled stall-spin situation is among the best I've seen and if you haven't seen this it may be useful to you. He doesn't use exactly that terminology, but you can get the point from his discussion of turns at the end of a field.
Normally, 15 minutes is way more than I'm interested in looking at, but I gave this a try and got hooked. It has the best explanation of why a plane acts as it does in stall-spin conditions that I have ever received. The verbal explanation is clear and the use of models and cockpit footage of what happens directly reinforces the explanation.
I'd like to hear the reaction of you experienced CFI's as to what you think of the points made.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwrfEsCiltc