ppl training question

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

drseti

Re: ppl training question

Post by drseti »

Tom, with respect specifically to glider towing, that is clearly a commercial operation, requiring a commercial pilot's license. The requirement for a medical derives from the fact that one may not exercise commercial pilot privileges without a medical. There is no "subpart K" commercial certificate to fall back on. So, in that particular case, the requirement comes not directly from the medical rules, but indirectly, by implication from the commercial operation rules.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:Tom, with respect specifically to glider towing, that is clearly a commercial operation, requiring a commercial pilot's license. The requirement for a medical derives from the fact that one may not exercise commercial pilot privileges without a medical. There is no "subpart K" commercial certificate to fall back on. So, in that particular case, the requirement comes not directly from the medical rules, but indirectly, by implication from the commercial operation rules.
I see to many times , this thread included, where people say "if you are flying a LSA you don't need a medical. The point is that it is not the fact that your flying an LSA that requires that you need a medical, but what you are doing while your flying a LSA. This to me is what everybody is missing when I say you need a medical when exercising the student pilot privileges flying a LSA if you are training for a private pilot certificate. The medical is required because of what you are doing, and not what you are flying.
RyanShort1

Post by RyanShort1 »

drseti wrote:Tom, with respect specifically to glider towing, that is clearly a commercial operation, requiring a commercial pilot's license. The requirement for a medical derives from the fact that one may not exercise commercial pilot privileges without a medical. There is no "subpart K" commercial certificate to fall back on. So, in that particular case, the requirement comes not directly from the medical rules, but indirectly, by implication from the commercial operation rules.
Are you sure about that? I believe you would need a medical, but any PPL holder CAN be compensated for towing provided he is not carrying property or passengers for hire. There's an FAA interpretation letter out on that.

Ryan
Independent Flight Instructor at http://www.TexasTailwheel.com. Come fly tailwheel LSA's.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

RyanShort1 wrote:
Are you sure about that? I believe you would need a medical, but any PPL holder CAN be compensated for towing provided he is not carrying property or passengers for hire. There's an FAA interpretation letter out on that.

Ryan
Ryan, his comment was based on mine. I just made a quick look through the privileges for each certificate, and that is what I based it on. If there is a ruling than that is fine. The thing is for towing a glider you must have a medical even though you are flying an LSA. It is something you can not do as a sport pilot, but the LSA can.
RyanShort1

Post by RyanShort1 »

3Dreaming wrote:
RyanShort1 wrote:

Ryan
Ryan, his comment was based on mine. I just made a quick look through the privileges for each certificate, and that is what I based it on. If there is a ruling than that is fine. The thing is for towing a glider you must have a medical even though you are flying an LSA. It is something you can not do as a sport pilot, but the LSA can.
Correct...

http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/91.309
http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/61.69
http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/61.315

Ryan
Independent Flight Instructor at http://www.TexasTailwheel.com. Come fly tailwheel LSA's.