Check Ride

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

hirschr

Check Ride

Post by hirschr »

A write up of my recent check ride for those who may be nearing the mark.

I took my check ride on March 1, 2013. The DPE was very thorough. He starts by explaining the process with a flow chart so that the student understands every step. Next he moves on to paperwork. In my case we hit a few snags that took almost an hour to resolve. My instructor and I had missed a few digital signatures in IACRA, my log book was vintage 1989 stock and did not have some of the newer SPL/LSA endorsements, additionally we had overlooked the sign offs on my student pilot license for solo and solo cross country. Next was the oral part of the exam, The DPE asks questions in an open ended manner - no multiple choice like the written here. He is looking for you to demonstrate complete understanding and not just memorized answers. I would say the best prep for the oral is the pre-solo tests along with a good understanding of the sectional and the sectional legend. The DPE asked me questions about runway/taxi way markings that I had not been asked before - he did allow me to use reference material to answer a few questions that stumped me (I had the AIM and PHAK on my iPad). Be sure to get a WX brief the morning of your check ride and know if any airports on your route are affected by NOTAMS or TFRs. Be able to explain what may be going on in nearby MOAs and know where to look on the sectional for the details for each MOA. Have all the documents needed for flight out on a table, POH, WB, AW cert, registration, logbooks. Be able to explain how much fuel is on board and why, be sure you are not over gross, explain where you plan to re-fuel during the cross country and make sure that airport has fuel! The DPE had given me a destination airport for cross country planning that was inside a Mode C 30 nm radius. I told him I could get him as far as the closest airport outside the veil because we were not equipped with a transponder. He then wanted to know if I could get him to the airport IF we had the required transponder. This stumped me at first because I knew I did not have an endorsement for B,C or D airspace and I wanted to say no, but a closer look at the sectional showed the airport was not in controlled airspace, just inside the mode C veil - so the correct answer was yes. After the check ride the DPE informed me that you can ask for a waiver to fly into the mode C veil without a transponder, and that carrying said waiver during the flight would make things legal. The actual check ride: Be deliberate and thorough with the pre-flight, use the checklist. Brief the DPE on what is expected of passengers, seat belts, watch for traffic etc. Know what runway you plan on using by listening to the AWOS and checking the wind socks - but be flexible. As I taxied out, a light quartering head wind favored 29, but there was traffic in the pattern, and one plane ahead of me that were using 11. With 11 being a left hand pattern, and 29 being right hand I felt the safest option was to use 11 and stay with the traffic rather than risk a head on during down wind. We started with a soft field take off, followed by a short field landing. With the wind I got a bit of a push on final for 11 and opted to go around. On the go around I still had a bit of a push on final and my short field landing was a bit long - I thought I had failed it, but unless the DPE tells you that you have failed just keep going! Next was a short field take off followed by a normal landing, then we were off with a normal take off to the first two check points of the cross country. We then did stalls, power off and power on, next was slow flight with a 90 degree turn. During the slow flight he informed me that we had lost partial power and he asked me what I was going to do. I picked a dirt strip at a nearby ranch and headed towards it. He asked if we were going to make it, and I said yes if the engine did not fail any further (it was making 1700 RPM). He then informed me that we had lost all power and wanted to know what the plan was. I told him we were going to die... Then I picked the closest road and set up for it. At ~ 800 AGL we magically regained power and recovered. Steep turns both ways were next, followed by turns around a point both ways. Then he asked me if I knew what direction the airport was in, I indicated that I did and headed that way. He then informed that there was a thunderstorm over the airport and wanted to know what I was going to do. I told him we would divert to the first airport on our cross country and sit it out, and headed in that direction. Next was the in flight distraction, he asked me what would be prudent to do if we were actually trying to avoid a thunderstorm. I mentioned that if it were an emergency we could declare so on 121.5. He wanted to know what we would do if it was not an emergency but we just needed some help getting to the first clear airport. I said we could radio the FSS and ask for assistance, but I did not have the frequency handy. He wanted to know what I could do to obtain that information. I suggested an app on my iPhone and asked him for assistance in finding the FSS. He indicated that he was not familiar with that app. I then asked if he could hold a heading while I looked it up, he complied and we exchanged positive control using the customary, I have the controls, you have the controls, I have the controls model. I quickly found the FSS frequency, we exchanged positive control again and headed for the home airport. Near the airport an autogiro pilot indicated on the CTAF that he was in our general area near our same altitude, neither of us were able to spot him, so I diverted to the North and the entered the pattern for runway 11 on a 45. He asked for a soft field landing, so I complied by keeping the weight off the nose wheel and extending the taxi so heavy braking was not needed. During the long taxi I kept the plane on the left side of the runway. My instructor had taught me to do this as safety measure should it become necessary to quickly exit the runway. The DPE thought I should taxi on the center line, but accepted my explanation for hugging one side. We taxied to the hangar and put the plane away. He told me he wanted to talk some things over, and we met for a debrief back in the office. He started the debrief by indicating that I had passed, and then went over a few items from the oral, and the flight. I told him I was sure I had failed the short field landing. He let me know that it was long, but that he had taken in consideration the variable light winds that had given us a bit of a push. He explained that I knew the technique and executed well enough for the conditions. Overall the experience was great, not the easiest thing you will ever do, but one of the most rewarding for certain!
drseti

Re: Check Ride

Post by drseti »

Randy,
Many thanks for the thorough and well thought out writeup. May I have your permission to post it to my flight school website, for the benefit of my students?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
hirschr

Post by hirschr »

Post away! I hope it helps someone.
jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

Nice write up. What training practices would you have added or done differently? What flying lessons did you take from the checkride?
hirschr

Post by hirschr »

If i had it to do again, I would pursue the endorsement for controlled airspace. Not so important where I trained, but more relevant where I live - and it would have helped with some of the oral questions. From the flight my biggest take away was that clause about becoming familiar with all aspects of the flight. I had done all of my x-c work and the vast majority of my training to the South East of the airport. My check ride cross country destination was to the North West and the majority of the flight took place there as well. My instructor had taken me out to the area for a flyover and a practice check ride, but I was generally more comfortable with the area I had trained in. That being said, I was very focused on the check points and not getting lost to the North West of the airport. I should have given more thought to alternates and had the FSS frequency in my notes.
Dangeruss

Post by Dangeruss »

Good stuff Hirschr, I've been wondering exactly what a checkride was like, and your explanation was great. Thanks, and I would love to hear how other checkrides have gone. If we could compile more checkride experiences here, it could be incredibly useful to flight students like me, for lowering our anxiety and improving our expectations for the big ride.
when do we eat?
jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

If you are an AOPA member, you can sign into their forum and will find some sticky posts on this topic.
A couple of quick items:
1. The DPE has a quota - s/he is expected to bust a certain percentage - but it doesn't have to be you.
2. The DPE is not out to find a reason to bust you (you'll probably give him one without him looking - nearly any of us would)
3. Really read and understand the Practical Test Standards book, free on the FAA website. That is what the examiner must use. Your CFI should be using it to prep you.
4. Don't give up on yourself and don't panic. If you do something obviously wrong, identify, correct and explain it. If he is not telling you you busted, assume you are fine and keep your chin up - you probably are.

I was nervous before each of my checkrides but I never failed one. Of all the students I trained, only one busted the first ride and she passed the second. Expect your CFI to have you ready and go in confident but not cocky.
hirschr

Post by hirschr »

Dangeruss, agreed - it is a confidence builder to read over the experiences others have had with a check ride. The flight school I attended asks all of its students to give a short write up on the check ride, and a review of the school. I had the opportunity to read about 20 such write ups before I took my own check ride. It really helped!
FrankR

Post by FrankR »

I found the oral test prep in the Gleim book to be very good. I also tried to memorize every list I could think of: LSA aircraft features and requirements, SP limitations and priveleges, types of altitude, airspace features, etc. I would copy these lists over and over. I had about 20 of them. The DPE said I was very well prepared for the oral.

I also bought the King Schools Sport Pilot Checkride video. I found it to be right on with the checkride I had, although the video was more complete. My DPE didn't test everything that was in the video, like rectangular patterns. I found the actual checkride to be very easy (except for the gusty crosswinds).
Frank
Fayetteville, NC
hirschr

Post by hirschr »

Another milestone today, I passed the Private Pilot check ride! I opted to keep training after my sport ticket mainly because my Ercoupe project is well, still a project. Having taken the SP check ride in a two control Ercoupe I also had the limitation (no rudder pedals) to deal with, this of course takes care of that. I will say that having the previous experience of a SP check ride, makes the PP check ride pretty routine. Probably a little more expensive to go this route, but no regrets on my part. I really enjoyed the accelerated SP course, and picking away at the private with a lesson per week (weather permiting) has been a great way to keep flying and keep learning!
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Well done, sir! I'm a strong proponent of using SP as a stepping-stone for those intending to go for the PP. Two of my SP graduates did so this year, and it actually ended up saving them money, even after paying for the second written and checkride.

I'm curious how much additional dual flight instruction you received between taking the SP and PP practical tests.

Again, congratulations.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
hirschr

Post by hirschr »

24 hours between the two ratings. I had to re-do the XC because my SP XC was too short for the PP. Time incudes 3.5 night, 7.2 XC (half dual, half solo), 3 hood. I can see where SP to PP could easily be done with less hours if you know it will be your route when you start the SP. My SP instructors pointed out that I could take a longer XC that would meet the PP, advise I should have taken... I also learned that you CAN NOT count your PIC time during the SP check ride as solo time for the PP. For me, the most challenging part of the PP was the controlled airspace training.
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

hirschr wrote:I also learned that you CAN NOT count your PIC time during the SP check ride as solo time for the PP.
Yeah, I saw a big discussion somewhere (here maybe? I'm having a CRS moment) about this. Book says "sole occupant" so solo is solo.

OTOH, I really do like the way you can get your SP then build up time and experience actually going places and doing interesting things before moving up to the PPL.
- Bruce
hirschr

Post by hirschr »

Yes, agreed! That didn't really work out for me but I like the SP as an entry point with a shorter and less expensive route to a bonified rating. If I had it to do over I would have done the longer XC in sport training, and gone for a controlled airspace endorsement.

Next up, I think a tailwheel endorsement!