Is 1st half of private pilot course good for SP

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

jnmeade

Re: Is 1st half of private pilot course good for SP

Post by jnmeade »

rezaf_2000 wrote:I wish me luck!
We all wish you luck. Please keep us informed of your progress and don't hesitate to stay in touch.
rab23us

Post by rab23us »

Where in central Illinois? Decatur here. I don't know if you are aware of it but Mt Vernon airport has sport pilot training in jabiru aircraft.as far as cornfield goes right out my back door. Nephews love to watch the crop duster fly in summer swooping in out of the sky

Safe flying
Ron B.
Midwest USA
Home Airport KDEC
rezaf_2000

Post by rezaf_2000 »

rab23us wrote:Where in central Illinois? Decatur here. I don't know if you are aware of it but Mt Vernon airport has sport pilot training in jabiru aircraft.as far as cornfield goes right out my back door. Nephews love to watch the crop duster fly in summer swooping in out of the sky

Safe flying
I'm at Urbana. Mt Vernon airport is exactly 150 miles aways. There is basically no other convenient option around me for sport pilot training. Rusty Bogue used to have a school at Paris, IL (Bestinflight, RSB aviation), but the Edgar county airport management pulled colossal shenanigans on him, and he was forced to close. The ONLY other place is Allmond aviation in Peoria, 100 miles away from me. They teach in a 1930s Champ, not that I have much against it, but the distance is just too far to commute.

It's a shame really, but no FBO around here teaches sport pilot. I've tried Decatur, Bloomington, Rantoul, Danville, Mattoon, and even Kankakee and Terre Haute in Indiana, with no success. Man, apparently sport piloting doesn't have much appeal in our neck of the woods.

To give an update to this thread, I'm going ahead with the course, now negotiating with the school on the tuition situation. But as far as I can say, I'm signed up to start in June. :)
200 hours of flight and counting
FrankR

Post by FrankR »

Check me if I'm wrong, guys.

You can do all of your dual training in a 172 or similar and you only need to do your 5 hours of solo and your checkride in an LSA.

Bolingbrook has an Aeronca Champ.

http://www.sportpilot.org/instructors/index.html

I also see listings in Lansing, Kankakee, Bourbonnais, Bloomington, Dwight. Probably all of them are not still active.
Frank
Fayetteville, NC
drseti

Post by drseti »

FrankR wrote:You can do all of your dual training in a 172 or similar and you only need to do your 5 hours of solo and your checkride in an LSA.
Frank, that's a little like taking driver's education in a truck, and then heading out cross country on a motorcycle. Maybe legal in some states, but do you think it's safe?

Before you can do any solo hours in any aircraft, you need an endorsement to solo it. The CFI has to sign that he or she has given you instruction in that make and model, and finds you competent to solo it. I wouldn't sign off a 172 jockey with anything less than 5 hours dual in the LSA. (And that's for licensed pilots.) You also need dual XC training in type before your CFI will sign you off for the required solo XC time. And, you need a couple of hours of dual in type, in preparation for the checkride. So, add it up, and you'll have spent maybe 15 hours in an LSA by the time you're done. So, what's the point of training in a 172?

I suppose you could also get training in horseback riding, and then go operate a dogsled solo? Different animals!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
rab23us

Post by rab23us »

rezaf_2000 wrote:
rab23us wrote:Where in central Illinois? Decatur here. I don't know if you are aware of it but Mt Vernon airport has sport pilot training in jabiru aircraft.as far as cornfield goes right out my back door. Nephews love to watch the crop duster fly in summer swooping in out of the sky

Safe flying
I'm at Urbana. Mt Vernon airport is exactly 150 miles aways. There is basically no other convenient option around me for sport pilot training. Rusty Bogue used to have a school at Paris, IL (Bestinflight, RSB aviation), but the Edgar county airport management pulled colossal shenanigans on him, and he was forced to close. The ONLY other place is Allmond aviation in Peoria, 100 miles away from me. They teach in a 1930s Champ, not that I have much against it, but the distance is just too far to commute.

It's a shame really, but no FBO around here teaches sport pilot. I've tried Decatur, Bloomington, Rantoul, Danville, Mattoon, and even Kankakee and Terre Haute in Indiana, with no success. Man, apparently sport piloting doesn't have much appeal in our neck of the woods.

To give an update to this thread, I'm going ahead with the course, now negotiating with the school on the tuition situation. But as far as I can say, I'm signed up to start in June. :)
Yes a very big shame that it isn't closer I do know at one time there was a lsa at charleston there used to be a great big sign coming into town from the west saying learn to fly for 3,500 and it had a sports star on the billboard but of course there was no other information available.

I may end up heading to Mt. Vernon myself as I am also very interested in the jabiru j230 as an airplane but I have to get my second child off to college next year so a lot of my spendable cash is being saved. (oldest in her freshman year college, second starts senior year in high school next year and my third is a year behind).

Kids and life have slowed my flight training dream but at least it isn't a "fantasy" any more
Ron B.
Midwest USA
Home Airport KDEC
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I'm located at KOLY and have been doing sport pilot training longer (7 year the begining of next month) than anyone in central or southern Illinois. I have a Flight Design CTLS for training now.