Do you use smartphone or tablet apps in flight training?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Do you use smartphones/tablet computer aviation apps for flight training?

Yes, I use them in flight training. I love useing those apps!
71%
No, but I would like to. Those apps seems very useful!
14%
No, I prefer the old fashioned way of learning to fly.
14%

Total votes: 14

drseti

Re: Do you use smartphone or tablet apps in flight training?

Post by drseti »

theskunk wrote:Putting it on my knee only works in the allegro, otherwise it seems to interfere with the stick.
I find a portrait-orientation kneeboard works well in my SportStar, and doesn't interfere with the stick between my legs. I strap it to my left leg, since I work the stick with my right hand, and the center-mounted throttle with my left. For you left-seat fliers, just move the kneeboard to your right leg.

FWIW, landscape orientation (that is, across the lap) seems to work well in the Ercoupe.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

ct4me wrote:Foreflight, and WingX, have full functionality on the iPhone (and iPod Touch)... just adjusted to fit the smaller screen. In fact, the Foreflight license allows you to use it on all three devices, simultaneously. WingX has similar multiple-device allowances.

I had a CFI that was too hung-up on the "old ways" of aviation... 'didn't like high-tech stuff, didn't like "plastic airplanes", couldn't grasp Light Sports, and even thought women should be in the kitchen - not flying. There wasn't even a GPS in my trainer. He became my EX-CFI.
So you're saying that yes, I can use the iPhone ForeFlight moving map in flight, right? If so, is there coverage up in the skies? I heard that there is no reception for celluar networks such as 3G or 4G but what about WiFi reception?
kitcarguy

Post by kitcarguy »

Anyone out there using android devices? If so what do you recommend for a good app?
FrankR

Post by FrankR »

I use a pretty generic 8" Android tablet, Vizio1008Tab, with internal GPS and Avilution.

Moving map sectional; duats interface. Works well without a live data connection.
Frank
Fayetteville, NC
kitcarguy

Post by kitcarguy »

I have fltplan.com on my tablet but was just looking at other options. I will try avilution and see how it is.

Thanks
RyanShort1

Post by RyanShort1 »

Now using a Nexus 7 and pretty happy with it. I can accomplish quite a bit with it.

Ryan
Independent Flight Instructor at http://www.TexasTailwheel.com. Come fly tailwheel LSA's.