CFI trains women for free in Texas.

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Torque

CFI trains women for free in Texas.

Post by Torque »

This comes from the Flight Trainign Mag 11.12 put out by the AOPA.

For those whom do not get this. This is the second year in a row this has been done. Lodging was free at the airport.

Mary Latimer created the Academy in 2011. Flight and ground instructions provided for free. You may bring your own aircraft or rent one for 50 bucks hr dry.

This is the way flying use to be. An Aviator out to help another Aviaitor. My first A&P would not take one penny for my annual. He was old school and said " an Aviator is to help another Aviator without putting a hand out" The only hand put out was to shake my hand.

Tony
Hambone

Re: CFI trains women for free in Texas.

Post by Hambone »

Bet they weren't paying six bucks a gallon for avgas back then.

Everything was cheap after WWII!
Torque

Post by Torque »

Hambone wrote:Bet they weren't paying six bucks a gallon for avgas back then.

Everything was cheap after WWII!

I am really not sure what you mean, they just held this in 2012, this was the second one held. The first was in 2011. From what I understand this will be held again next year in 2013 and each year after.

Where did you get WWII from?

Tony
drseti

Post by drseti »

Torque wrote:Where did you get WWII from?
Probably by inference from your prior post, Tony:
This is the way flying use to be. An Aviator out to help another Aviaitor.
Ham was saying this was more common after WW2, when gas (and planes) were cheap. More power to Mary Latimer, for keeping that spirit alive today!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
zaitcev

Post by zaitcev »

Also, the sexual discrimination lawsuits were not quite so common back after the WWII. Hopefully it's not going to be the case this time though. These days you cannot have one price for one sex, race, nationality, or religion, and another price for another.
Torque

Post by Torque »

zaitcev wrote:Also, the sexual discrimination lawsuits were not quite so common back after the WWII. Hopefully it's not going to be the case this time though. These days you cannot have one price for one sex, race, nationality, or religion, and another price for another.

I would have to agree with you but that would be a perfect world. This is not a "perfect" world for I can not get training for free but these women today are getting training for free.

I am not complaining about what this woman is doing for my hat goes off to her for helping those whom she see's needs help. That would be the female pilot population.

Tony
drseti

Post by drseti »

Torque wrote:I can not get training for free but these women today are getting training for free.
Yes, from a female flight instructor. Her choice. Women have been giving it away for millennia, and nobody ever complained before!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
designrs

Post by designrs »

So say a male instructor provides free training to young men only. His choice. Think there would be some public outcry? I'm tired of the reverse double standard prevelant in so many aspects of our society.
drseti

Post by drseti »

designrs wrote:I'm tired of the reverse double standard prevelant in so many aspects of our society.
I understand your point, Richard, but it begs the question: are ladies' nights at bars fair to men? How about fraternities that admit only men, and sororities that welcome only women? At some levels, unequal treatment just makes sense.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US