ASA Practical Test Standards for the Pilot and Instructor

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

cornfieldflyer

ASA Practical Test Standards for the Pilot and Instructor

Post by cornfieldflyer »

Here is a link to the E-Book version of this book. Its $4.95.

http://www.asa2fly.com/Practical-Test-S ... duct1.aspx

Please read and comment on this book.

Tony
3Dreaming

Re: ASA Practical Test Standards for the Pilot and Instructo

Post by 3Dreaming »

cornfieldflyer wrote:Here is a link to the E-Book version of this book. Its $4.95.

Tony
I have a copy and have read it. It is also available for free on the FAA website, and I think Drseti said he has it on his website. tom
cornfieldflyer

Post by cornfieldflyer »

3Dreaming wrote:
cornfieldflyer wrote:Here is a link to the E-Book version of this book. Its $4.95.

Tony
I have a copy and have read it. It is also available for free on the FAA website, and I think Drseti said he has it on his website. tom
Tom

Then you know that it says right in that book that training can be done in a single seater and the check ride can be done in this same single seater.

Tony
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

cornfieldflyer wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:

Tony
Tom

Then you know that it says right in that book that training can be done in a single seater and the check ride can be done in this same single seater.

Tony
Tony,

I have my book out and also the current PTS downloaded from the FAA. I already knew you could do your check ride in the single seat aircraft, but what page does it say you can do all your training in the single seat aircraft?

Tom
cornfieldflyer

Post by cornfieldflyer »

Tony,

I have my book out and also the current PTS downloaded from the FAA. I already knew you could do your check ride in the single seat aircraft, but what page does it say you can do all your training in the single seat aircraft?

Tom[/quote]

I do not believe I said all training. Sure one needs dual stick time but after that all training can be done in a single seat.

There have been those whom are just starting out in SP and ask these same questions.
Can I train in my single seater
Can I take my check ride in my single seater
This posting is to inform those looking for these answers where to find them.

This gives the directions and instructions for not only the Student but the instructor. I have had those tell me I know not what I speak of when speaking on this subject of training and the single seater. Read this book for yourself and you will see. This book is as much for the Instructor as it is for the Student.

One does not need to know all the answer just where to find them.

But Tom you are the first to admit that the check ride can be done in a single seater, even though its right there in black and white.

Tony
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Tony, the ASA PTS is just a reprint of the FAA PTS. It covers a lot of things, but it doesn't tell what has to be taught, that comes from the CFR's. It does tell what can and will be tested to get you sport pilot certificate. It also tells the standards that the maneuvers need to be performed to. It also talks about what kind of aircraft and equipment is needed for the checkride. Yes the checkride can be done in a single seat airplane. This was put in there for those who wished to convert from flying ultralights under a recognized organization to sport pilot. In the early days you could do this with out any flight training form an instructor, but that transition period has long past. Now the only required flight training for sport pilot that you can do in a single place airplane is the 5 hours of solo flight training. All the other flight training must be done in an airplane with more than one seat. This is all spelled out in the CFR's
Torque

Post by Torque »

This comes right from the book.

Page 1.

The Flight Standards Service of the Federal Aviation Administration {FAA} has developed this practical test book as the standard that shall be used by FAA inspectors and designated pilot examiners {DPEs] when conducting sport pilot and flight instructor with a sport pilot rating practical test or practical tests or proficiency checks.

Page 9.
Single Seat Aircraft Practical Test
Applicants for a Sport Pilot Certificate may elect to take thier test in a single-seat aircraft. The FAA estabilished in 14 CFR part 61, section 61.45[f] specific requirements to allow a practical test for a Sport Pilot Certificate Only.
With certain limitations, the practical test for a Sport Pilot Certificate may be conducted from the ground by an examiner. The examiner must agree to conduct the practical test in a single-seat aircraft and must ensure that the practical test is conducted in accordance with the sport pilot practical test standards for single-seat aircraft. Knowledge of all Tasks applicable to thier category/class will be evaluted orally.

Page 10.

The examiner must maintain radio contact with the applicant and be in a postion to observe the operation of the aircraft while evaluating the proficiency of the applicant from the ground.

Single Seat Aircraft Proficiency Check.
Sport pilot proficiency checks may be preformed in a single-seat aircraft. The FAA believes it is appropriate for an instructor to proform a proficiency check for an additional category/class privilege to a Sport Pilot Certificate or higher, in accordance with 14 CFR part 61, section 61.321, using a single-seat light sport aircraft, providing the authorized instructor is an examiner. When an examiner conducts a proficiency check they are acting in the capacity of an authorized instructor.

Tony
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

It just says that the checkride or the check to add a new category (fixed wing to PPC) can be done in a single seat aircraft. It does not speak to the training required to get to the point of being ready to take the checkride.
Torque

Post by Torque »

Every CFI I have spoke with said no way to doing the checkride in a single seater its not allowed. If you look through past posts on other threads you will see this. A lot of newbies ask this question and I have yet to see it answered correctly. I wanted to point those whom asked about this, the correct answer. I also wanted to point out where to find the correct answer.

I understand one needs dual seat time. But one can also using the Sport Pilot Certificate fly thier single-seater as a student pilot and do their training or practicing in that. I do not need to hire an instructor and pay for an airplane to go out and train or practice. I just need to hire that instructor to log the hrs needed to finish my certificate.
Would this not make training cheaper? I will not have the added expense of renting a bird for my checkride, I also will not have to rent a plane to practice in.
It really does me no service to train in a bird with a Steering style wheel. I fly with a stick and do no turning left or right.

Tony
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Tony,

Taking your checkride and doing training are two very different things. Yes, you can do your checkride in a single seat aircraft. This has been the case since the begining of the sport pilot rules. In the begining there were several registered ultralight pilots who could use there ultralight experience to move to sport pilot. They could do this without even a sign off from an instructor. The time for this transition has passed.

To solo a "N" numbered airplane as a student pilot you must have an endorsement from a CFI, sport or otherwise, on your student pilot certificate. You must also have an endorsement in you logbook. To get these endorsements the instructor must provide you with flight training in an aircraft similar to the aircraft you will be soloing.

To get a sport pilot certificate you must have 15 hour of flight instruction from an instructor. All your solo time can be done in the single seat aircraft, but the 15 hours will have to be in an aircraft with at least 2 seats. All of this is spelled out in the Federal Aviation Regulations in part 61
Torque

Post by Torque »

3Dreaming wrote:Tony,

Taking your checkride and doing training are two very different things. Yes, you can do your checkride in a single seat aircraft. This has been the case since the begining of the sport pilot rules. In the begining there were several registered ultralight pilots who could use there ultralight experience to move to sport pilot. They could do this without even a sign off from an instructor. The time for this transition has passed.

To solo a "N" numbered airplane as a student pilot you must have an endorsement from a CFI, sport or otherwise, on your student pilot certificate. You must also have an endorsement in you logbook. To get these endorsements the instructor must provide you with flight training in an aircraft similar to the aircraft you will be soloing.

To get a sport pilot certificate you must have 15 hour of flight instruction from an instructor. All your solo time can be done in the single seat aircraft, but the 15 hours will have to be in an aircraft with at least 2 seats. All of this is spelled out in the Federal Aviation Regulations in part 61

Yes this is correct. Its all spelled out in the book all one needs to do is read the book.
Tony
Torque

Post by Torque »

You have no idea how many tell me no solo time is a single-seater. Also how many times I have heard no check-ride in a single seater.
Its nice to have one person admit it can be done and to admit its all in the book, the ASA Practical Test Standards book that is. It spells it all out in black and white.

Tony
Torque

Post by Torque »

One must remember I never said {all Training} can be done in a single-seater. I said {all solo} training can be done in a single-seater.
I also said the Checkride can be done in a single-seater. I also said one can solo thier single-seater on a student certificate for up to 5 years before they must take the Sport Pilot Test.
I myself was told by the examiner who signed my certificate to take the complete 5 years and not to let anyone rush me.

Tony
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Torque wrote:One must remember I never said {all Training} can be done in a single-seater. I said {all solo} training can be done in a single-seater.
I also said the Checkride can be done in a single-seater. I also said one can solo thier single-seater on a student certificate for up to 5 years before they must take the Sport Pilot Test.
I myself was told by the examiner who signed my certificate to take the complete 5 years and not to let anyone rush me.

Tony
To do that you have to get the endorsement on the student pilot certificate from an instructor, and an endorsement in you your logbook for continued solo flight every 90 days.
Torque

Post by Torque »

He did not tell me that. He told me I was set for 5 years. He knew the problem we have here in Central IL with Sport Pilot Instructors and said this will give me time to find a SP CFI I like and can stick with.
I would call him and ask him about this but today he is no longer with us.

Atleast its the off season and gives me time to get this worked out.

I have a friend traveling 4 hrs for training, that just will not work for me. I will find something or sell my bird. Flying is a hobby and I can always find new hobbies.

Tony