Aircraft endorsements

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Recumbentrider

Addendum

Post by Recumbentrider »

The Champ has been written off. The owner is looking for another aircraft, but as mentioned previously, school is firing up. Couple that with shorter days which means no evening flying and it could be spring before getting back into it.

Since it will be a different plane and a month or more since last flight, dual all over again to get a solo endorsement. Re-evaluating since the price just went up a bunch with the added dual training. I'm not complaining, just stating the facts.

As to comments from PP's and others; I've never felt they were putting on airs, just stating what they believe. I've never taken offense, just listened and moved on. The most comments I've heard so far from the peanut gallery was about the motors used - primarily the Rotax. Hoooeee! I've never seen a more maligned piece of equipment from a lack of knowledge about it.

Thanks for your previous answers guys. I'm thinking about that "school lunch money!"
D. Atwood
Recumbentrider

Re: Aircraft endorsements

Post by Recumbentrider »

Another question - if I purchase a single seater, for example a RANS S-5, how does one get an endorsement for solo practice? I'm already solo in the Champ, standard category, but looking at going experimental single seat.

This is one option I have but changing aircraft without being able to dual in it has me stumped. Do I have to wait until licensed?

Dave
Maine
D. Atwood
Torque

Re:

Post by Torque »

My understanding is that any solo flight greater than 25 nm straight line distance between airports requires an individual XC endorsement. Less than 25 can be covered by the blanket endorsement.[/quote]

The examiner whom gave me my Student Sport Piolt Certificate at Oshkosh told me these things about this certificate.

1. You have 5 years to get your SP Certificate take every min of the 5 years if you need and do not let any CFI push you faster. We gave you 5 years for a reason.

2. Using this Student Certificate you must stay within 50 NM from my home airport.

3. I must stay out of class C airspace and no flying into a controlled airport, not without an endorsemnet on my SP certificate.

The list goes on but those are the ones that I wanted to relay or share....Number 2 counts in this topic or subject matter.

T.S.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Recumbentrider wrote:Another question - if I purchase a single seater, for example a RANS S-5, how does one get an endorsement for solo practice? I'm already solo in the Champ, standard category, but looking at going experimental single seat.

This is one option I have but changing aircraft without being able to dual in it has me stumped. Do I have to wait until licensed?

Dave
Maine

You will need an endorsement on your student pilot certificate. Experimental or standard category does not have anything to do with it. You will need to find an instructor who is willing to make the sign off. They will need to provide you training in a similar type airplane. The problem is when the training exemption went away on the converted ELSA aircraft it left a big hole for training in this type of airplane. Unless you can find a SLSA or someone who has received a LODA for thier ELSA that is similar your out of luck. After you have your license you can fly it with no additional training, as long as you have the propper endorsement for <87 or >87 speed, and you don't need a tailwheel endorsement.
Torque

Post by Torque »

Recumbentrider wrote: but looking at going experimental single seat.

Dave
Maine

Welcome to the single seater club...
Helen

Post by Helen »

No. A CFI certificated under subpart K such as yours can only endorse you to fly an aircraft that meets the light sport definition. An RV-7 does not meet the light sport definition. You will need a CFI certificated under subpart H (traditional CFI who holds an instrument and commercial certificate) to endorse you for the RV-7.

Helen
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Helen Woods
Chesapeake Sport Pilot
Quality Flight Training, Rentals, and Service
Factory Authorized RV-12 Training and Service Center
http://www.chesapeakesportpilot.com
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Helen wrote:No. A CFI certificated under subpart K such as yours can only endorse you to fly an aircraft that meets the light sport definition. An RV-7 does not meet the light sport definition. You will need a CFI certificated under subpart H (traditional CFI who holds an instrument and commercial certificate) to endorse you for the RV-7.

Helen
Helen, there is a big difference between a Rans and a Vans. The OP ask about a Rans S7.