Most efficient (and cheapest) way to go from SP to Private?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Doss79

Most efficient (and cheapest) way to go from SP to Private?

Post by Doss79 »

Hi all,
Currently a sport pilot with about 65+ hrs , 99% in a J3 Cub.

Looking at possibly going from sport pilot to private pilot at the most efficient and cheapest way possible. I will probably buy a new a/c to train in after I sell the Cub.

Anyone got any tips on how I can get this transition done effectively? Recommended study materials? I currently have the KING SCHOOLS sport pilot material.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Try to double or triple up on what you are doing for the flight. For example you will need more dual cross country, you also nee night dual cross country. These can meet the requirement for both on the same flight. You can also throw in some simulated instrument while doing the night dual cross country.With this one flight you can knock out the additional cross country flight training, the required 100 mile night cross country, 1-2 hours of your required night training, and some of the 3 hours of simulated instrument training.
Doss79

Post by Doss79 »

3Dreaming wrote:Try to double or triple up on what you are doing for the flight. For example you will need more dual cross country, you also nee night dual cross country. These can meet the requirement for both on the same flight. You can also throw in some simulated instrument while doing the night dual cross country.With this one flight you can knock out the additional cross country flight training, the required 100 mile night cross country, 1-2 hours of your required night training, and some of the 3 hours of simulated instrument training.
Thanks for the info. I'm pretty hard-of-hearing, so don't think I'm going to be able to be fit for using radios. Can I get a waiver for that? I did pass the 3rd class medical, though. I don't care because I don't do much flying in controlled airspace.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Doss79 wrote:I'm pretty hard-of-hearing, so don't think I'm going to be able to be fit for using radios.
In that case, keep the Cub - don't upgrade to another plane that has radios. The DPE can't test you on anything the plane doesn't have installed, and it's perfectly legal to get a Private Pilot license in a Cub (they've been doing that for 75 years!) But, you'd better be prepared to be examined on light signals.

Another possibility is to get a handheld that has a very loud audio output, and use headphones with the volume cranked way up. If possible, you should try this out first, before buying.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
designrs

Post by designrs »

Doss79 wrote:I'm pretty hard-of-hearing, so don't think I'm going to be able to be fit for using radios. Can I get a waiver for that? I did pass the 3rd class medical, though. I don't care because I don't do much flying in controlled airspace.
Another option, check out the Telex Stratus 50 headset. -30db acoustical - 20db ANR = 50db of noise reduction!! Then if that's not enough, use the headset for noise reduction & mic out, and look for a Bluetooth audio input into earbuds. If that's not enough look into quality hearing aids such as those from Siemens which makes some fantastic hearing aid instruments with Bluetooth and Aux Audio Line In, AND the audio will run through a custom digital program based on your hearing condition audiogram. although they are not cheep.