Going in for the written

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

ibgarrett

Going in for the written

Post by ibgarrett »

Well, this is probably slightly off-topic, so please pardon the posting.

I'm working on my transition from Sport to Private Pilot and have been studying up a storm. I've got my practice tests into the upper 80's and am looking for a date on the calendar when I can go in and take the test.

It's been a couple of years since I went in to take my Sport exam, so I don't know if this is changed much or not, but I've been using the Sporyt's iPhone/iPad E6B calculator (which didn't exist last time I was in) for doing some of the formulas.

Does anyone know if these are allowed to take in for the exam? I certainly can see this being an obvious issue if someone wanted to use the Internet features of the phone for cheating - however that certainly wouldn't be my goal. I'm just looking to use it as the tool that it is - for calculating the necessary information.

I just looked up what was allowable from the FAA's perspective and the manual was written in 1999...

Anyway - I figured I'd toss that question out there. I'm sure the answer isn't one I'm going to like, but I figured I'd at least ask to see what others experiences have been.

Thanks,

Brian
Brian Garrett
[email protected]
nbjeeptj

Post by nbjeeptj »

They would not let me have my Iphone even to use as the e6b or calculator.
jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

I know it's not the question you asked, but my experience is that most of the calculations can be done on a very simple four function calculator. In addition, the two main formulas you need are printed right on the dial of the E6B.

You'll notice that most of the formulas are simple ratios that can be solved by cross multiplication. For example, 8 gal/hour X2 hour = 16 gal.
8 gal over 1 hour times 2 hour / 1. 8 gal times 2 = 16 gallons, hours cancel.

The only work that can't be done with simple cross multiplication is the wind direction work - for that you have to use the whiz wheel. For that, the formula is printed right on the E6B, also.

I'm trying to reassure you that the E6B is pretty easy to use. Feel free to ask questions if you'd like.
drseti

Post by drseti »

If you're using a LaserGrade testing center, I know their software includes an available on-screen electronic E6B (in a pop-up window). I imagine the CATS testing centers have something similar. The Gleim test prep software CDs will allow you to simulate either format on a PC, so you can practice with using the tools that will actually be available when you take your knowledge test.

BTW, I'm told CATS gives a $10 discount to AOPA members. Don't know whether LaserGrade does.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US