Second flight lesson in the 162

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

N918KT

Second flight lesson in the 162

Post by N918KT »

So this morning, I went flying again in the 162 at Aero Safety again. We spent about 40 minutes going through the preflight briefing, doing weight and balance, and checking the weather. There were overcast clouds in the area but we still went anyway. After that we went to preflight the 162, and my CFI says we needed more fuel. It took us at least 15 minutes for the fuel truck to come and fill up the tank.

We weren't in the air until at least after an hour since I arrived at the school. When we took off from Lincoln Park, my headset still got static on the frequency and he immediately unplugged mine and gave me the school's rental headset (David Clark I'm sure, but I don't know what model). My headset still doesn't work. We flew Northwest and then West, and during that time, we ran into some low clouds and some rain showers. I was getting nervous. There was one incident where there were some low wisps of clouds below the ceiling and we flew right in between them the 2 wisps of clouds. But in spite of all the overcast clouds and the rain, I was calm and having fun actually. Last time, I remember that I can't control the airplane very well. When we did the 4 fundamentals of flight (straight and level, turns, climbs, and descents) I was actually pretty good at it. I was holding altitude for the most part although for some reason, the plane keeps drifting to the right and it's so subtle that I don't even notice it. I was looking out the window more instead of looking at the instruments, and I was holding the throttle almost all the time in the air. Eventually, we went back to the airport and made a straight in approach.

As we taxi back to the ramp after we landed, I discussed my concern for the high cost of flight training, I asked some questions like what it the estimated total cost for the entire school's SP license. And I also told him about the rental cost for the Storm Century and CFI at Royal Karina being cheaper.

After we finished, he fowarded my concern to the receptionist about the cost and she told me about the club membership and the "Test Your Wings Gold" starter program. Those are some of the ways that I could save money in total cost. The club membership will only help me save money if I fly more than the break-even of 3 hours (or was it 3 lessons) a month.

So choosing which flight school to go to is a hard choice. I think I had some good instruction at Aero Safety Training. I have to see which one is better for me.
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

So what did you think about my second flight lesson at Aero Safety Training? I was able to keep the plane straight and level although there had been a couple of times the plane turned to the right a little (and I don't know why) and I had to correct it to go back to the original heading. I'm looking out the window alot more. I think I'm okay with the 4 fundamentals of flight (straight and level, climbs, descents, and turns).

If I do want to continue my flight training at that school (because I told my CFI that the rates are expensive for me and the receptionist told me about ways I could save money (club membership, starter program)) he told me next time we will work on takeoffs and landings, ground reference maneuvers, and stalls. In my opinion, my CFI isn't a bad one; I learned that he trained the school's very first Sport Pilot.
drseti

Post by drseti »

N918KT wrote:In my opinion, my CFI isn't a bad one; I learned that he trained the school's very first Sport Pilot.
That's certainly a good start -- at least you won't be his first SP candidate! The questions you are entitled to ask any prospective instructor are: How many Sport Pilots have you trained? What's their average number of hours to solo, and to license? How many of them passed the checkride on the first try? What's their average score, and pass rate, on the written? Remember, you're the customer here, and you're allowed to shop around.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

Wow, funny thing is that I asked these questions to the Royal Karina school but not to my Aero Safety CFI.

When on the phone with the receptionist when scheduling my discovery flight with Aero, I wanted another CFI (I think his name is Matt) because we discussed about him in the interview with the school's owner. I told the receptionist I wanted the best CFI trained in the Skycatcher, and that's how I ended up with my new CFI, because the receptionist told me that only him was available at that time.

I mean I'm already with the CFI for 2 lessons now. I don't know when to ask him these questions. Like when is the best time to ask him?

Do students ask these kinds of questions to their CFIs before they start any flight training with that CFI? Because I think it is too late to ask my CFI those questions because I already started training with him.
drseti

Post by drseti »

N918KT wrote:Do students ask these kinds of questions to their CFIs before they start any flight training with that CFI?
Typically, yes (but you can ask at any time).
Because I think it is too late to ask my CFI those questions because I already started training with him.
Too late? This is just flight instruction, not a marriage! :wink: You can change flight instructors at any time, and not even need a lawyer to do so. Only two lessons means you're still in the shopping around phase. Remember, any flight instructor you choose is your employee, and you can fire him or her at any time, for any reason.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

drseti wrote:
N918KT wrote:Do students ask these kinds of questions to their CFIs before they start any flight training with that CFI?
Typically, yes (but you can ask at any time).
Because I think it is too late to ask my CFI those questions because I already started training with him.
Too late? This is just flight instruction, not a marriage! :wink:
Haha LOL!

Thanks for the advice drseti! Yes it's still true that I'm still deciding where to go.

It was cloudy in the morning and I was a little unsure of wheter I wanted to fly on that day, but we still went anyways. When we flew into rain and some wisps of clouds hanging from the cloud base (we flew in between the clouds), I got nervous at first but for some reason, I wasn't panicking; I kept calm and flew the airplane and did what my CFI told me to do. I flown into rain at least once before this lesson so I have some experience flying in the rain, just only with a CFI.