A good experience with change (for a change)...

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Jon V

A good experience with change (for a change)...

Post by Jon V »

My current CFI wanted me to fly with someone else at least once before soloing. To paraphrase slightly, "I haven't soloed a student in years and I want a second opinion before I do." So I got a chance to fly with someone different. Specifically, with the guy I was originally hoping to fly with (but whose schedule didn't work with mine).

My past experience has me a bit jaded about different instructors. Nothing against each instructor (ahem), but.

So yesterday...did the preflight, got aboard, discussed seatbelts and doors, I yelled "CLEAR PROP", started the engine, brought up the avionics, did my brake check and started taxiing, tuned the radio, got my weather, called ground once I was approaching the edge of the movement area ... took off ... did a T&G ... and he sat there with his hands in his lap the whole time.

Good CFI.

He offered some advice of the "you can do it this way too" variety, which I followed, but it wasn't, "you're doing it wrong", but, "here's another trick for your bag."

After three or four T&Gs he said, "let's depart the airport, I want to show you a couple things."

He proceeded to introduce "rolling on a heading" and fishtailing while holding the wings level (not his names), and said (paraphrasing), "when you have a chance, get out and practice those... even most CFIs can't do them very well but they build a lot of feel and skill." They were a challenge, and fun, and new to me - no other CFI has suggested them - a win all around.

I made the calls to get us back into the airport's airspace and we did another couple touch and goes. I kept up the radio (well enough that neither CFI nor Tower took exception) even when tower had us extended my (right) base across the centerline and do a left 270 turn to final to get a bizjet in ahead of us.

There was one time when, as we were climbing out, CFI said "I'm going to have my hand on the stick for the next landing" but he just rode with it as far as I could feel. He did tell me to do a go around on one approach....I had to laugh because once we were climbing he actually said, "You didn't do anything wrong there, you had a great approach going and I hated to wreck it, but I wanted to see a go-around."

He had a few bits of constructive criticism after the flight, which I appreciated. He parted with, "You are a safe pilot...."

I now have 10 hours in the G3/the past 5 years.

Getting there. :)
drseti

Post by drseti »

Jon, you've just described the kind of flight we all like to take with an instructor. Congratulations -- that instructor just complimented not only you, but also the CFI who has taught you to be safe. Keep up the good work (and be sure to provide your regular CFI with some positive feedback, as well as your thanks for training you right).
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Jon V

Post by Jon V »

It was good. It was actually my first wholly positive "different CFI" experience, too.

I'm wondering if the difference is between flying with a different CFI and switching CFIs ... I have more experience than I want with switching CFIs and it is all horrible. This is my first experience flying with a different CFI where there was no switch involved, and it was actually very positive.

It's somewhat petty, but I can't compliment any of my previous CFIs yet. #1 I liked a lot, and he taught me a lot, including giving me my first experience of inadvertent flight into IMC, and just how disastrous it can be to have your CFI leave mid-training. #2 was awful, period, had no business as a CFI in a US flight school. #3 started out sounding great but I soon found he was actually totally disinterested. It's bad when your CFI spends more time talking about his job search than your flying, #4 was only interested in dismissing the value of my logged hours so he could sign me up for a full 141 package with up-front financing, #5 has the integrity and mindset to be good, but (and I knew this going in) not the time in type/currency right now to be really effective yet - I think if he had gotten back into instructing in May 2010 instead of May 2011 I may have re-soloed a few hours ago. He will get compliments before this is all done.

#6 (not one of my regular CFIs - the guy on Monday) was very good. I was impressed.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Jon, not many of us marry the first girl we ever dated. It works out for some, but most guys shop around a bit first. The choice of a CFI is less of a commitment, to be sure, but may have just as lasting an impact on our lives!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Jon V

Post by Jon V »

Yup...and I'm not even counting CFIs I interviewed but didn't fly with.

My tone will soften about most of the exes (barring #2) once I've successfully taken a checkride.
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

Jon V wrote:It was good. It was actually my first wholly positive "different CFI" experience, too.

I'm wondering if the difference is between flying with a different CFI and switching CFIs ... I have more experience than I want with switching CFIs and it is all horrible. This is my first experience flying with a different CFI where there was no switch involved, and it was actually very positive.

It's somewhat petty, but I can't compliment any of my previous CFIs yet. #1 I liked a lot, and he taught me a lot, including giving me my first experience of inadvertent flight into IMC, and just how disastrous it can be to have your CFI leave mid-training. #2 was awful, period, had no business as a CFI in a US flight school. #3 started out sounding great but I soon found he was actually totally disinterested. It's bad when your CFI spends more time talking about his job search than your flying, #4 was only interested in dismissing the value of my logged hours so he could sign me up for a full 141 package with up-front financing, #5 has the integrity and mindset to be good, but (and I knew this going in) not the time in type/currency right now to be really effective yet - I think if he had gotten back into instructing in May 2010 instead of May 2011 I may have re-soloed a few hours ago. He will get compliments before this is all done.

#6 (not one of my regular CFIs - the guy on Monday) was very good. I was impressed.
Wow, you trained with 6 CFIs? It must have been frustrating for you to keep switching I suppose.

For me, the I trained with my first CFI for 2 to 3 lessons before he told me that he's switching to a different school. (But later on he came back to the original flight school.) My second CFI was ok but he likes to have some fun with the lessons. He one time did something a bit dangerous during my lesson by suddenly pulling and pushing the yoke. Unfortunately, he was killed in a small plane crash a few weeks later after my last lesson with him. I think he did something dangerous and stupid. The third CFI was at the flight school in Trenton, Royal Karina Air Service. I only had 2 lessons with him but I think he is a very good teacher though I remember he likes to touch me in the wrong way to get my attention.

Now possibly changing flight schools again, to Lincoln Park's Aero Safety Training, I might have a fourth CFI, but I don't know yet.
Jon V

Post by Jon V »

Six so far, and yes, it's been very frustrating.

It's hard to express just how hard it is to stay motivated when <snip>Pointless whining about dead history. Summary: CFI hurts Student's feelings after Student failed to intuit and use CFI's non-AIM practices. Wah.</snip>

Still gets me going after six years. Sigh....

Kinda neat, huh?
Last edited by Jon V on Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

Yep.