Flying 'chase' for student solo rides

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Hambone

Flying 'chase' for student solo rides

Post by Hambone »

As a prospective CFIS with zero civilian CFI experience, I have some ideas (both good and bad!) from my experience as a military instructor pilot.

As there are no two-seat A-10s, the student's first ride is solo! However, the instructor is chasing him/her in another A-10 in a loose formation.

Although this would not replace two-seat LSA instruction, does this practice merit any benefit in the sport pilot instructional world? I can envision a student who is ready to solo or fly cross-country, but could benefit from the confidence of his instructor being a few hundred feet away. Obviously, cost is one negative consideration.
Helen

Post by Helen »

I wouldn't do it. I think think it would distract the student and also take away from the confidence building aspect and purpose of solo flight. It means a lot to student when you sign their log book and send them out by themself for for the first time signifying that you trust them on their own with this responsibility.

I take it that you are saying that the military does this? I'm guessing that the military's planes are a good deal faster than an LSA or GA plane with less options to put down. In actuality its really pretty hard for a student to get herself in trouble if the CFI has thought out where she is sending her and and especially if she has been taught flight following. For example, I send my students towards airports near the ocean (pretty hard to miss the Atlantic Ocean if you go to far) that were former WWII bases (think giant crossing runways) and have good radar coverage with not-so-busy controllers along the way happy to give flight following (and vectors if needed) to a student pilot. Of course, I don't tell my students that I've picked such a student-proof destination. To the contrary, they typically comment about how I picked such a hard place for them to find because the landmarks were small or hard to select and "know" I must consider them to be a great navigator if I'm sending them someplace that difficult on their first solo flight!

Solo flight in my mind is all about building the student's confidence while also providing large margins of safety to protect both the student and the instructor.

Helen
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Helen Woods
Chesapeake Sport Pilot
Quality Flight Training, Rentals, and Service
Factory Authorized RV-12 Training and Service Center
http://www.chesapeakesportpilot.com
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

Oops... this thread should probably be in Instructors' Corner.

Perhaps an administrator would be kind enough to move it.
jeepinbanditrider

Post by jeepinbanditrider »

IMO the student is the one with the money. If they are willing to pay for basically time on two planes AND an instructor why not let them have it. Seems really expensive though.
ming1000

Different bussiness

Post by ming1000 »

IMHO, any A-10 "student" pilot has at least 250+ hours in his/her belt, moreover, they've already learnt how to fly in basic formation.