Why a Sport Pilot license instead of Private?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

zdc

Post by zdc »

comperini wrote:
3Dreaming wrote: You are correct the FAR's establish the minimum equipment required for night flight. On the other hand S-LSA aircraft are built to ASTM standards, and I think they go beyond what is required by the FAR's. I don't have access to the standards to give a dirrect quote, but that was my understanding. I hope someone who has a copy of the standards will chime in here. Tom
For Aircraft in the S-LSA category, the manufacturer calls the shots. If they say "no" to night flight, then it doesn't matter what equipment you have installed in the plane, and it doesn't matter what kind of pilot certificate you hold. If the manufacturer says "no", that's it.
The manufacturer can say whatever they want. The FAA governs the operation of aircraft in the U.S.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

comperini wrote:
3Dreaming wrote: You are correct the FAR's establish the minimum equipment required for night flight. On the other hand S-LSA aircraft are built to ASTM standards, and I think they go beyond what is required by the FAR's. I don't have access to the standards to give a dirrect quote, but that was my understanding. I hope someone who has a copy of the standards will chime in here. Tom
For Aircraft in the S-LSA category, the manufacturer calls the shots. If they say "no" to night flight, then it doesn't matter what equipment you have installed in the plane, and it doesn't matter what kind of pilot certificate you hold. If the manufacturer says "no", that's it.
I agree with this as well, but the manufacture has to follow the ASTM standards too. If the aircraft does not meet the ASTM standards or the FAR's the manufacture can not say it is OK to fly at night.
zdc

Post by zdc »

If people are going to claim that a sport plane equipped for night flight per FAR's can't legally fly at night because of a prohibition fromt the manufacturer, please cite the governing FAR or FAA legal opinion.
drseti

Post by drseti »

zdc wrote:If people are going to claim that a sport plane equipped for night flight per FAR's can't legally fly at night because of a prohibition fromt the manufacturer, please cite the governing FAR or FAA legal opinion.
The governing document (per the FARs) is the Operating Limitations, which are created by the manufacturer, adopted and issued by the FAA, must be aboard the aircraft, and must be complied with. See http://avsport.org/acft/SportStar_oper_limits.pdf for an example. If they say day VFR only, that is binding (regardless of who operates the aircraft).
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

zdc wrote:If people are going to claim that a sport plane equipped for night flight per FAR's can't legally fly at night because of a prohibition fromt the manufacturer, please cite the governing FAR or FAA legal opinion.
§ 91.327 Aircraft having a special airworthiness certificate in the light-sport category: Operating limitations.

(d) Each person operating an aircraft issued a special airworthiness certificate in the light-sport category must operate the aircraft in accordance with the aircraft's operating instructions, including any provisions for necessary operating equipment specified in the aircraft's equipment list.

I deleted all the stuff in between, but you can look up the whole reg if you want. Tom
comperini

Post by comperini »

A light sport aircraft certificated in the S-LSA category can't, if the manufacturer says no. To tie this back to the FAA, you'll find these restrictions issued as part of the operating limits assigned to the S-LSA, in accordance with FAA Order 8130.2F. The operating limit in question reads:

"This aircraft is to be operated under VFR, day only, unless appropriately equipped for night and/or instrument flight in accordance with § 91.205, and when allowed by the manufacturer’s operating instructions."

Also, keep in mind that 14 CFR 91.205 applies to aircraft with a standard airworthiness certificate (it doesn't automatically apply to S-LSAs or any other category of aircraft). For example, for night flight in an experimental, 91.205 applies, only because the operating limits assigned to that aircraft will say "day VFR unless equipped per 91.205". 91.205 might apply to an S-LSA, if the manufacturer even allows night flight. If they do, then the operating limits most likely impose 91.205 for night flight. Bottom line: For S-LSAs (and experimentals), always consult the operating limits assigned to the aircraft.
- Bob
Commercial pilot, CFI, DPE, Light Sport Repairman/Maintenance
http://www.sportpilotinstructor.com
bryancobb

Take a Look

Post by bryancobb »

FAA ORDER 8330.2F, CHANGE 5, 1-15-2010
CHAPTER 4, SECTION 6, PARAGRAPH 126b(5)

Airworthiness Certification of Aircraft and Related Products

126. ISSUANCE OF LIGHT-SPORT CATEGORY AIRCRAFT OPERATING LIMITATIONS.
b. The following operating limitations, as applicable, will be issued as shown below; any
* deviation must be coordinated in accordance with this order:
(5) This aircraft is to be operated under VFR, day only, unless appropriately equipped for night and/or instrument flight in accordance with § 91.205, and when allowed by the manufacturer’s operating
instructions.
Bryan Cobb
Sport Pilot CFI
Commercial/Instrument Airplane
Commercial Rotorcraft Helicopter
Manufacturing Engineer II, Meggitt Airframe Systems, Fuel Systems & Composites Group
Cartersville, Ga
[email protected]