How hard is it for me to change flight schools?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

N918KT

How hard is it for me to change flight schools?

Post by N918KT »

I used to take flight lessons at RGI Aviation at Essex County Airport a long time ago. I think I'm still enrolled in the flight school despite my currency has expired.

I was thinking of changing flight schools to learn to fly at Royal Karina Air Service down at Trenton, since they have a sport pilot program. Originally, my goal was to switch flight schools to Aero Safety Training once they got their Skycatcher. But I think that it won't happen until Spring 2011.

I haven't decided yet, but just now, I was thinking of changing flight schools to fly at Royal Karina. Then once Aero Safety Training up at Lincoln Park Airport has the Skycatcher (or any other Northern NJ flight school has an LSA with SP program), I can switch to that flight school and continue my SP training from there.

Would it be possible to change flight schools a few times during my training? How hard or easy is it to unenroll from one flight school to enroll at another flight school? If anyone has experience changing flight schools during their training I would like to hear your experience.

Thanks!!!
spooky981

Post by spooky981 »

It won't be a big deal, figure an additional 3-5 hour learning curve when switching planes. That's what it was like for me at least.

But be ready to be frustrated when switching instructors. You really learn your instructors "Way To Fly", and every other instructor is pretty radically different. Better in the long run but extremely irritating at first.
Helen

Post by Helen »

Also, ask your current school for your records. A good school should be keeping an in-house training record for you. That will help your new instructor better assess where you are.

Helen
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Helen Woods
Chesapeake Sport Pilot
Quality Flight Training, Rentals, and Service
Factory Authorized RV-12 Training and Service Center
http://www.chesapeakesportpilot.com
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

If I do decide to switch, what about my logbook? Would that substitute for the training records at my old flight school? Can I show my new CFI the logbook instead? I don't even know if they keep records for me.
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

Assuming your new instructor is as good as your old one, a change would be a good thing. Every instructor has his strong and weak points and having more than one will help fill in the gaps. As Spooky said, expect a bit of a setback but don't let that stop you.
drseti

Post by drseti »

I was on the receiving end last Spring of a student from another flight school. He had completed his first solo, and passed his Sport Pilot knowledge test (with a 100%!) before coming to me. As it happens, his previous flight school used the same published curriculum and set of books I do, so it was a seamless transition. This student brought me his training record, logbook, and a letter from his previous instructor recommending him for post-solo training. The only duplication is that I had the student take another pre-solo written test with me, just to calibrate his previous knowledge. Inside of a couple of hours of dual, he was flying solo -- finished his training in grand style, and got his license within two months. Best of all, he was one of my best prepared students, and aced his checkride!

Bottom line: your logbook is yours, not the flight school's. Your training records are yours; you paid for them. Any respectable flight school will turn over all your documentation to you without question (assuming you don't owe them any money), and any qualified flight instructor will be happy to transition you with minimal fuss and bother.

Good luck in your transition.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

I talked with my parents about learning to fly down in Trenton and fortunately, they said yes, but I have to pay for the flight training. I'm planning to learn to fly again in January. While I'm excited to learn to fly again down in Trenton, I still want to learn to fly in the Cessna Skycatcher someday. Tell ya the truth, I'm not even sure when the Skycatcher will come to Lincoln Park Airport in Northern NJ.

How many times should I learn to fly every month? I was thinking of only once or twice since just in case the Skycatcher comes to Aero Safety Training flight school in Lincoln Park, Royal Karina Air Service in Trenton is an hour drive away, and I won't have to spend my money all at once.

If I want to switch flight schools again, how do I do that? When I enroll in a flight school, do I have to fill out any forms or sign a contract saying that I will stay in that flight school for a certain period of time?

Please help me. I don't know what should I do! I'm confused if learning to fly in Trenton which is an hour drive is worth it rather than waiting for the Skycatcher to come to a closer flight school.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Kevin, it's not at all uncommon for a student pilot to change aircraft, instructors, or even flight schools during training (often more than once). Any reputable flight school will have programs that maximize your flexibility. Unless you sign up for a prepaid, discounted accelerated flight training program, you will probably be on a "pay as you go" basis. This means you are free to go elsewhere at any time. Your logbook should thoroughly document your training at every stage, and it is yours to keep (in fact, you should always have your logbook in your possession).

If your school maintains separate training records, they also belong to you, and you are entitled to take them with you to another flight school, should you so choose. Just so there are no surprises, I would recommend that you tell your flight school up front that you may need to change schools at some point, and that you want to make sure they will let you take your training records with you if that occurs. I personally would not give my business to any flight school that refuses!

As for the Skycatcher, I wouldn't hold my breath on any particular flight school taking delivery in the short term. Cessna is encountering some production delays, and deliveries have been slow so far. I do hope Lincoln Park gets theirs soon, but wouldn't count on it.

Safe skies,
Paul
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

I see. Thank you for the advice! I'm still trying to figure out how many times I should fly. I most likely going to be flying once or twice per month. My parents (mainly my step father) still have to take to the airport and they are also busy with other things so I will try not to pester them.
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

Yesterday, I talked to the owner of the flight school in Trenton on the phone. I mentioned that I wanted to learn to fly over there but also told him that I might switch flight schools in the future in order to fly in the Skycatcher. When I told him that, he said the Skycatcher isn't a good plane to fly in because of it's low useful load and the weird nature of the joystick. So he kinda convinced me to learn to fly at his school. I guess he just wants my money.
drseti

Post by drseti »

N918KT wrote:Yesterday, I talked to the owner of the flight school in Trenton on the phone. <snip> he said the Skycatcher isn't a good plane to fly in because of it's low useful load and the weird nature of the joystick.
Two thoughts here, Kevin:

(1) ALL light sport aircraft have low useful load. They're LSAs, after all!

(2) The joystick preference is just that - a matter of personal preference. I haven't flown the Skycatcher, so I don't know if I'll like it or not. You haven't flown it either, and probably neither has the owner of the Trenton flight school! So, how would he know if you're going to like it or not? Sounds to me as though he's saying "we don't have a Skycatcher, so you shouldn't fly one." I wouldn't do business with anyone who exerts that kind of pressure on a student.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

Maybe or maybe not he flew the Skycatcher. He told me in email that he flown at least a dozen LSAs before he chose on an LSA. He might have flown in the Skycatcher. He told me that the joystick and throttle in the C162 isn't positioned well so it feels that the arm will be fatigued or tired if hold extended like that. I guess that's why he doesn't like the C162.
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

You know, maybe learning to fly at his flight school isn't a bad thing. I can think of a few positives.

1. A new, different practice area rather than the same old boring Northern NJ and Northwestern NJ Practice Area.

2. I've always wanted to fly to different airports rather than the same old airports that I land in Northern NJ. 2 airports I would like to land at include
a. Doylestown Airport, PA-it's very close to where my cousins live. Their house is almost right next to Doylestown Airport.

b. Braden Airpark, PA-my twin brother and I once visited the airport and we even saw airplanes landing over our heads, over the fence and landed on the runway behind us. Plus it's close to my twin brother's college.

Alright, maybe these are bad reasons why I want to fly over at Trenton, but I'm trying to make the best of it.
bshort

Post by bshort »

Maybe you should just stick to the area you're in. Reasons: You will most likely earn your ticket faster, cheaper, and easier.

1) You are already familiar with the area and equipment. This equates to potentially less hours. (which = dinero!)

2) The cost would most likely be less. Less hours needed, less time traveling, no transition time. (again less dinero!)

3) And most importantly it would be less of a hassle for those that have to drive you all over the place! (this = happier step-father)

Flight schools can sometimes remind me of used car salesmen. They will always tell you that they have the best training, equipement, and rates. Do extensive research and make the decision for yourself. Take what any school tells you with a grain of salt!

Earn your ticket in whatever you already know, then, go out and rent the skycatcher and make your own informed decision. It should be out by then.
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

But, Trenton Airport is the only closest place as of right now where I can find sport pilot training with an LSA. So I have to learn to fly at Trenton.