Just picked up the Gleim Pilot Handbook

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

psjoe

Just picked up the Gleim Pilot Handbook

Post by psjoe »

I just picked up the Gleim Pilot Handbook. I am going to dig into it in the next day or two. Few Questions:

-What should I concentrate on for Sport Pilot?
-Should I get the Sport Pilot Flight Maneuvers and Practical Test Prep, 1st Ed, the Sport Pilot Syllabus, 2nd Ed., and FAR/AIM ?

Thanks -Joe
frfly172

Post by frfly172 »

The more prepared the better.Cant get enough info.Gliem covers the subject rather well.Just a thought.
Helen

Post by Helen »

The Gleim Handbook is extremely dry and more aimed at test prep than pilot prep. I'd recommend supplementing it with a good explanatory text. Rod Machado's is my favorite although a lot of people like the FAA texts.

Helen
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Helen Woods
Chesapeake Sport Pilot
Quality Flight Training, Rentals, and Service
Factory Authorized RV-12 Training and Service Center
http://www.chesapeakesportpilot.com
ArionAv8or

Post by ArionAv8or »

Study everything, and when you think you are done, study some more.

There is NO harm in knowing too much, but harm can come with knowing too little.

I also used the Gleim materials and found them to be effective. They may be a little dry in information presentation but they are effective in getting the job done.
DKarnage

Post by DKarnage »

I agree with studying it all because it will help you understand the big picture. Aviation is lifelong classroom and trying to take shortcuts may be detrimental. As far as other books, I would definitely get the flight maneuvers, test prep, and far/aim...basically, you might want to consider getting the kit (but you already have the handbook so perhaps not :? ) I didn't find the syllabus to be of any real value unless your instructor/school follows the syllabus in their instruction. Also, you will eventually need an airport/facility directory (AFD). However, I wouldn't go out and buy all these things until you are sure this is what you want to do. Have you started your training yet? Also another book I would recommend is Stick and Rudder by Wolfgang Langewiesche..some of the information is a little dated but an excellent resource nonetheless. And as far as what to study for in the sport category, I would recommend getting a good understanding of pilotage and dead reckoning. You're not going to need it right away, but that's the heart of sport pilot navigation and a lot of what you learn early on will be leading up to it. I wouldn't dwell on it though, concentrate on the basics and what your instructor tells you to first. These are just my opinions of course.