too hot!!!!!

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

yozz25

too hot!!!!!

Post by yozz25 »

The last time I flew, started I guess at 8 or 9 am, did pattern work, and when was done, was exhausted, hot and had a migraine. This was about 2 weeks ago.

Mood was like crap, and just pissed in general, but realized that the heat in Vegas is not the way to go. If you don't get it in at 7 am, or 8 at earliest, may as well chalk it up,at least in my case.

Can't go later, since it just gets hotter even as the evening comes. I would guess that being frustrated by the winds for some while, then the heat, which did not do much for the mood of the new CFI either, best to hang it up until
Heat lets up
Winds lets up
CFI gets more time in Remos.

No other choice, so I guess fall would be the time to climb aboard since the chief CFI said I'm about to solo.

As far as proficiency goes, I believe I won't lose much, just would need to get back in the cockpit, get back into routine, may be a bit rusty, but sure I will shake it off.

gotta know when to hold and fold em
yozz
:twisted:
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Hi Yozz,

Dallas isn't quite Vegas hot but we had usual spell of ~10 days near 100 back in June and we'll soon be back to average highs of 97+. I've got a tinted canopy airplane so get PLENTY of sun.

I find the most comfortable time to fly is the late evening. The air temperature is hotter than the early morning but the radiant heat is subsiding. I find this much more comfortable with smoother air.

I try to airborne an hour before sunset which gives me an easy hour of playtime.
dave
yozz25

hot

Post by yozz25 »

In vegas, and I guess other desert towns, I notice there really is not much action coming out of the GA airports at this time.

I wish the evening were better, but since there is no cloud cover, as long as the sun is up, it just gets hotter and hotter, and when sun goes down, it cools, but takes a while.

East of the Rockies, I guess you would get a cooling period as evening comes.

One thing I did learn, the plane needs much more runway to build up airspeed. The airtemp is perhaps at least 85 in early morn, but I figure that this ambient temp by the runway is even higher since the heat is reflected up over the runway heating the air perhaps to over 100 at such time.

I can even see the commercial jobs a KLAS lumbering slowly up in midday.

yozz
goinaround

Post by goinaround »

take the doors off :D
ArionAv8or

Post by ArionAv8or »

dstclair wrote:Dallas isn't quite Vegas hot but we had usual spell of ~10 days near 100 back in June and we'll soon be back to average highs of 97+. I've got a tinted canopy airplane so get PLENTY of sun.

I find the most comfortable time to fly is the late evening. The air temperature is hotter than the early morning but the radiant heat is subsiding. I find this much more comfortable with smoother air.

I try to airborne an hour before sunset which gives me an easy hour of playtime.
+1 for evening flying. Florida is the same way and I have found myself lately doing the same thing. I close my shop at 7 and I am only a 10 minute drive to the airport. Preflight the plane, double check the weather and TFRs and I still get 45 minutes or so aloft. I am finding smooth air and fewer ppl in the pattern. A very nice and relaxing way to end my 12 hour work day.
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

Yozz,

Here in Mammoth Lakes the weather can be too rough to enjoy flying a light sport. The answer is to fly somewhere pleasant, sometimes that means Las Vegas for me.

You could do the same by doing your cross country work. Get up early and fly to Mammoth. Today's high is going to be 72F. You could do this with an instructor as well as solo, and you can do it more then once.

Once you start going places flying has more to offer.
AZPilot

Post by AZPilot »

Can't you get your instructor up at 0530.

Back in the day, we would get up early and knock off about noon here in PHX, maybe come back for the evening after-work
students in the summer.

I was one of those guys flying here on the 122F day that
the 737s weren't allow to fly as their perf charts didn't
go that high.

If you are that close to solo, I wouldn't take a hiatus
until fall if you can avoid it. Skills are perishable,
especially pre-solo.
CFIIMEI
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Ok -- this is really a tangent on the topic but I followed my own advice this evening and went for flight around the patch.

In Dallas, we've had pretty much non-stop thunderstorms/scattered showers for the last two weeks. Today was no different but it looked like the showers just might leave the area before 8pm. I needed to do some minor stuff at the hangar anyway so went to airport a bit before 7. Of course, it was raining (light shower) with 7000' clouds and heavier showers showing up on the radar in the area. Oh well -- perhaps another evening.

Fooled around for 30 minutes and the shower passed. Sky was pretty much 12000' broken with maybe 25000' above. Rainbow off to the east and nothing on radar.

Fired up the Sting and I was gone. Talk about awesome flying. Smooth, relative cool air! Chased the rainbow and landed with the sunset.

Yozz -- just time your flight to follow a clearing storm :)
dave
yozz25

hot

Post by yozz25 »

Thanks you guys for the comebacks.

As far as getting my CFI up early, he seems to block out very early morning stuff, I'm up a 3AM.

At this juncture, I have to concentrate on soloing, just about there. Have done my crosscountry flight already logged in. Vegas is good flying from mammouth, but not at mid day in a lsa, too freaking hot.

Also, my CFI is new, he needs experience, he needs to get his act together with the LSA, he needs to calm down a bit, I was essentially his guinea pig and I let the school know this, I wasn't happy being someone's guinea pig, the school just doesn't know what to do and since it is slow now, they probably don't want to deal with it.

I can go on and on, but a new guy assigned to me was a bad idea. He would give me conflicting instructions when flying in the beginning, whereby I would hesitate and wait, he would then say them again correctly, then I would follow them.

I realized he was confused as an instructor and tolerated it, but he once commanded me to land and then reamed me out telling me who is boss, can't argue with someone screaming about me not doing what he says when he says it. I really didn't want to tell him that he said left, when he meant right. He screamed at me when some crows flew by me.

Then the next time I'd see him, he would ask me if everything is all right, how am I doing, are there any problems. Guess he realized he screwed up and wants to cover his ass.

I had problems with him coming in late. I don't mind that, but I do mind when someone tries to BS me by telling me he found a mistake on my account and wants to get me some money back. Never got money back.

Told all of this to chief CFI who had a look on his face like he wanted to run away.

I would go to the neighboring school in a flash, no games played, smaller, but doesn't have the LSA. So, put this all together with the heat, and I guess it's best to just chalk it up till things cool down.

I'm hot, frustrated and trying and 57 yrs old, so best to ride my bike for a while.
yozz
CharlieTango

Re: hot

Post by CharlieTango »

yozz25 wrote:... Vegas is good flying from mammouth, but not at mid day in a lsa, too freaking hot...
the terrain will keep you @ 10,000' or above, not so hot up there
yozz25

if it were up to me

Post by yozz25 »

In reality, if it were up to me, I would be like the barefoot bandit, except rent the plane.

I have no license, but would rent a bigger plane, 172 and fly up to mammouth, would not do it in a remos, too slow, not great with wind and with my screamer CFI, assuming the doors are off, he hates heat,

I'd end up leaving him somewhere by "buzzards creek" where he would end up as a meal for some hungry coyotes who would be found by authorities with tooth picks in their mouths, enlarged stomachs, bones scattered with sixpacks of bud being popped open to wash down the yummy meal. The coyotes would then be taken to a local vet for possible food poisoning and excess alcohol consumption.

I would then land at mammouth lake 220lbs lighter, less fuel weight, ready to fish or whatever ya want to do.
yozz
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

it used to take me over 2 hours to get to vegas in my 172, its more like 1hour 45min in my light sport.

i bet the remos could do it in 2 1/4 hours.

a couple of photos in route:

KSCessnaDriver

Post by KSCessnaDriver »

CharlieTango wrote:it used to take me over 2 hours to get to vegas in my 172, its more like 1hour 45min in my light sport.

i bet the remos could do it in 2 1/4 hours.
I'd probably bet on the Remos to beat a 172, especially an older model 172. Might get beat by an upgraded 180hp model, but I don't remember the Remos being any slower than a 172SP.
KSCessnaDriver (ATP MEL, Commerical LTA-Airship/SEL, Private SES, CFI/CFII)
LSA's flown: Remos G3, Flight Design CTSW, Aeronca L-16, Jabiru J170
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

my 172 did have a 180hp stc
yozz25

nice pics

Post by yozz25 »

I'd love to do some flying, damn, with all my hours, about 18 in remos, and another 15 in piper, maybe I should just go elsewhere and finish up the license, could use a vacation from this furnace.

After a while all I want to do is just fly and do my own thing, that is the way to learn, get as much in as possible and just try different things, different ways of landing, just doing it.
yozz