Aviation Weather

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

brchristensen

Aviation Weather

Post by brchristensen »

Hello all:

I'm in the process of self-studying for the written. I am using an "on-line ground school" course, which is less than ideal. Good test prep but a fairly poor course itself. I've been doing great on the practice tests, however the aviation weather components have really been messing me up.

I have some books, but what I'm looking for is a video and / or software that would go over the aspects that a sport pilot needs to know with respect to aviation weather. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Brandon
ArionAv8or

Post by ArionAv8or »

I have never tried this DVD so I cannot speak first hand on it's content, but here is the link:

http://www.ap-stores.com/p-19-weather-t ... n-dvd.aspx

I used the Gleim system for Sport Pilots when I prepared for my test and the weather was the most frustrating part for me as well. I ended up bending the ear of experienced pilots and instructors, watching the skies, and asking lots of questions. I found that worked a little better for me actually seeing what was happening and asking others how and why. I think you will find that pilots and instructors are all too eager to lend a helping hand to make you a better safer pilot.
bryancobb

AC 00-6A

Post by bryancobb »

This is THE BEST study material for Aviation Weather, ALL test questions come from this text and it's free.

It is written on about the 6th grade level.

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_an ... ht=2,00-45
Bryan Cobb
Sport Pilot CFI
Commercial/Instrument Airplane
Commercial Rotorcraft Helicopter
Manufacturing Engineer II, Meggitt Airframe Systems, Fuel Systems & Composites Group
Cartersville, Ga
[email protected]
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

I think anyone doing a home study course should get these books, and read them cover to cover. These and the FAR/AIM is largely what the FAA test is about. These are actually pretty interesting reads, if you are interested in acquiring knowledge and not just passing a test.

The Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge
The Airplane Flying Handbook.

Both are available for free on line as PDF's (google them) or in print from any number of sources. Weather is one of the topics in the first one, and they do a pretty good job covering it.

I'd also recommend anything by Rod Machado. I didn't use his stuff, but after browsing the books at my flight school, I wished I had.

Good luck, and have fun!

Ron
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

Just a hint on this - I've downloaded all the PDF's and have moved them over to my iPad to read there... makes it definitely worth it and you won't kill a tree to do the whole thing... not that it didn't cross my mind. :D
Brian Garrett
[email protected]
brchristensen

Post by brchristensen »

Thanks for all the tips; replies are below:
I think anyone doing a home study course should get these books, and read them cover to cover. These and the FAR/AIM is largely what the FAA test is about. These are actually pretty interesting reads, if you are interested in acquiring knowledge and not just passing a test.

The Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge
The Airplane Flying Handbook.
I have those two already, I agree they are good resources. I'll take a peek at Rod's materials.
This is THE BEST study material for Aviation Weather, ALL test questions come from this text and it's free.
I had heard of that one; I'll take a closer look. I saw the publication date was from the mid-70's, so that turned me off initially. If everything is in there, makes sense to have...
drseti

Post by drseti »

brchristensen wrote:I saw the publication date was from the mid-70's, so that turned me off initially.
The forces of nature haven't changed all that much since the mid-70s. :wink:
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
deltafox

Post by deltafox »

I suppose we could start another loooong discussion about weather/climate change. However from a pilot's standpoint I would agree with you Professor, not much has changed.
Dave
Bill

Post by Bill »

deltafox wrote:I suppose we could start another loooong discussion about weather/climate change. However from a pilot's standpoint I would agree with you Professor, not much has changed.
The only change is that in the early 70s the pundits were claiming the beginning of the next Ice Age was upon us - and (appeared) to have the scientific proof to back it up. :D
--
<i>If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.
Selling Personal Checks and Business Checks helps pay for the 'Coupe.</i> :)
--
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

There are two types of weather for all pilots to learn:
1. How to get through the FAA knowledge test and
2. Understanding weather, utilizing modern weather resources, and correlating these to your specific flight plans to fly safe.

Looking at the FAA Knowledge test and the FAA resources, the FAA does a pretty good job of describing the basics of weather theory for pilots. This is the same as it has been for years. Unfortunately, these are only some of the questions on the FAA knowledge test. Some of the other questions about weather services, cover old technology left over from the teletypes used before we had computers. All this decoding of TAF's and METAR's is a waste of time, energy and relevant questions that could be put on the knowledge test that would be applicable to technology used today. The FAA has updated their technology but some of the knowledge test questions need to be updated to modern weather resources. The FAA knows these questions need to be updated but as usual, their excuse is time/budget/priorities to update.Even the text winds aloft forecasts:
http://aviationweather.gov/products/nws/winds/

which I think are one of the most important FAA resources for flying, especially in the mountains, are now graphic with better understanding of the winds aloft longer longer and shorter time intervals:
http://aviationweather.gov/adds/winds/

On the FAA aviation weather website the TAF and METER now have an option to decode the "FAA precomputer deciphering weather services" by adding translated:
http://aviationweather.gov/adds/metars/

If you really are into the decoding watch “Enigma”, a great movie of decoding during WW2. If you miss a couple of questions on the FAA knowledge test regarding weather decoding services, do not sweat it. I feel these are some of the most worthless and irrelevant questions to waste your time. When I am doing a checkride, I like to see the sport pilot applicant able to use the modern resources rather than being a decoding expert using rote memory, the “lowest level of learning” as defined by the FAA .

As far as understanding weather and correlating modern weather resources, this is where pilots need to focus. Yes the FAA resources in the “Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge” is a very good start for weather theory. The Weather to Fly system is a step beyond to help understand weather better, predict the weather before you fly and compare your flights to the prediction. After 35 years of flying ultralights and light-sport aircraft, this system was developed which is not a decoding tool, but a practical application of weather for pilots flying light sport aircraft. The weather to fly website:
www.WeatherToFly.com is laid out to facilitate the process, and the Weather to Fly DVD provides practical information for all pilots about predicting and utilizing weather:
At least look at the video trailer, we now have the DVD so it can be downloaded. This is the only practical weather DVD developed for pilots flying LSA. The Weather to FLY DVD covers many of the FAA test question weather concepts also.

Weather is one of the most important safety concepts for all pilots which we can always learn more.
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

ArionAv8or wrote:I have never tried this DVD so I cannot speak first hand on it's content, but here is the link:

Made specifically for the sport pilot to understand weather and make good decisions plus will help you get through the Weather theory FAA questions on the knowledge test. Also can be used as basis for checkride oral.
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites