Simulator training useful for Sport Pilots?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

ArionAv8or

Post by ArionAv8or »

Paul Hamilton wrote:I now have most of the LSA up on Microsoft FSX and X-Plane.
http://simulatorflighttraining.com/flig ... airplanes/

Does any one know any I am missing?
You're only missing the best LSA out there, the Arion Lightning LS-1
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

Actually Paul missed the StingSport which is the best LSA out there... ;D

btw - I've been fortunate enough to fly several of these LSA's that have been done and I really appreciate the ability to incorporate these into X-Wing so I can start working more w/ the planes...

Thank you Paul.
Brian Garrett
[email protected]
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

Sorry. I should have been more clear.
Here it is:

I have all the LSA "that have Microsoft FSX and X-Plane models available" that are useful for ground/flight training.

Is there a "Sting Sport" or "Arion Lightning LS-1" flight simulator model out there?

If so please let me know where i can find it. If not start bugging the manfacturer or one of the X-Plane geek model builders to come up with one. So far it is hit and miss as to what planes are modeled.

I would like to get both those models up????
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

I looked around for a Sting Sport flight sim model for X-plane and didn't see anything, or at least I couldn't find one. I didn't think I would be lucky enough to see ANY LSA's available for the X-plane, so I'm very happy with what they have.

Since we are discussing the sims - what sort of yoke setup would you recommend for the X-plane? I'm going to get one here soon, but there are several to choose from.

I got this brand-spanking new 27" iMac just dying to, er, be flown... :D
Brian Garrett
[email protected]
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

Brian,
I would expect you would want a stick rather than a yoke for the LSA.

Did quite a bit of research and I recommend the CH products stick and rudder pedals as shown at
http://simulatorflighttraining.com/flig ... -hardware/

Some say the Saitek products work good but I have never used them.
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

Thanks Paul - I appreciate it.

Brian
Brian Garrett
[email protected]
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

One of my criteria for the stick was to be able to use it right or left hand since a do both in the airplane. Some sticks are just right or left handed.
designrs

Post by designrs »

Thanks Paul!
I currently fly the PiperSport for real world training,
but was not previously able to locate a model for X-Plane.
Can't wait to try it!
designrs

Post by designrs »

PeperSport / SportCruiser for X-Plane!
http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app ... file=11304
designrs

Post by designrs »

Flying Magazine article on simulator training:

http://www.flyingmag.com/blogs/flying-t ... ing-flight
Aerco

Post by Aerco »

For those who are AOPA members, "Flight Training" magazine in Jan. had an article on the value of simulators.

http://flighttraining.aopa.org/magazine ... /sims.html

The bottom line was: from the US Navy to Embry Riddle and countless other anecdotal sources - it's generally A Good Thing. [/url]
"Someone already thought of that."
ming1000

Differneces from real flying

Post by ming1000 »

I didn't use simulation during training since my instructor didn't like it. I logged about 35 hours with FSX after I got my license.

There are two major differences between real flying and simulation.

1. the view is much limited in a simulator than a real plane; this is a reason that my instructor didn't like simulator; I can tell that I spend too much time to watch instruments;

2. there is no feedback from controls; no matter how much money you would spend, this can hardly be changed.

My conclusion is that sims are harder to fly than a real plane. By the way, I use Saitek stick and peddles.
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

After evaluating all the LSA airplane models for flight training, plus looking at the X-Plane and Microsoft Simulator X models, it has been most interesting to note my biggest challenge of using these is that all youu can see is the instrument panel.

No wonder all the CFI's have the concern about students looking at the instruments while flying. That is about all you can see in the models.

Almost every model I had to go in and adjust the pilots eye point to be a useful VFR training bed. Both X-Plane and Microfoft Simulator X have this capability but it is the most important adjustment or personal setttings to use the LSA and 172 models for VFR training. I think the model makers spent so much time on the instrument panel that is one of their main.

In addition to the videos of the models:
http://simulatorflighttraining.com/flig ... airplanes/

I now have pictures with a first cut eye point adjustment for VFR training. It should be noted that in come cases typically the 2D view, the eye point can not be moved but in the 3D view they can:

http://simulatorflighttraining.com/airc ... e-gallery/
drseti

Post by drseti »

One sub-thread here seems to be: Simulators, good or bad? My opinion is that of a longtime instrument instructor (CFII) who only over the last year or so has transitioned to doing primary (Sport Pilot) instruction in LSAs. I find simulators a great way to teach (and refresh) instrument procedures. Used Frascas a lot in the 1980s, and even logged 25 hours of sim dual myself, to learn the capabilities before turning my students loose.

However, Sport Pilot training is another matter altogether. Sport Pilots are VFR only pilots, often restricted to conditions even better than basic VMC (for example, no VFR on top; must maintain visual contact with the ground). So, I have to wonder if simulator training might be counter-productive for Sport Pilots. Instead of mastering holding pattern entries and missed approach procedures, shouldn't we be teaching Sport Pilots to look outside, judge RPM by engine sound, altitude and airspeed changes by wind noise, situational awareness by rivers and roads, and coordination of turns by friction of buttocks against seat?

I know that's not as glamorous as shooting LPV approaches down to sub-ILS minimums on a glass panel, but the training should fit the mission. I don't see much of a place for sim training in my Sport Pilot curriculum.

Paul H., I'd be curious as to the DPE's take on this.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

Yes, eventually, maybe in our lifetime, we will be able to get "coordination of turns by friction of buttocks against seat?" with ground school books, CD's, on line training, and maybe even FAA Test Prep.

Overall, for those opposed or those who wonder if flight simulaation is productive to a VFR student, think of it as GROUND SCHOOL rather than replacing flight training and it will be easier to see a the benefits.

It is here and will be used by the new generation of pilots, the question is how can we make it productive.

I have a complete page on this subject that goes into much greater detail at:
http://simulatorflighttraining.com/abou ... -training/