Can CFIs from other flight schools fly over to my airport?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

N918KT

Can CFIs from other flight schools fly over to my airport?

Post by N918KT »

I also mentioned on another aviation forum that I had trouble looking for SP flight schools in Northern/Central NJ and one of the members PM me about an instructor who's from a SP flight school in Southern NJ who could train me in a Sky Arrow and fly up to my home airport for training. Tell ya the truth, I really don't like the Sky Arrow because it doesn't look like a normal airplane and also because it has a 3-blade prop, which it is a pet peeve of mine.

This however, sparked an idea in me. Maybe a CFI from Mid Island Air Service on Long Island could fly over to my home airport, Morristown Municipal Airport with a Tecnam Eaglet and maybe he could train me in the Eaglet. Are there any flight instructors from that school that is willing to fly over to NJ for me? Has anyone done this before and if so, what is the process?
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

I really don't like the Sky Arrow because it doesn't look like a normal airplane...
Well, of course there's no accounting for taste!

At Oshkosh 4 years ago I was drawn to the Sky Arrow because it didn't look like a normal airplane. A lot of the other LSA's at the time looked like warmed-over and scaled down Cessna or Pipers.

There are advantages to the tandem configuration - you're sitting on the longitudinal axis of the plane, and left and right turns look the same. The student, in the front seat, is forced from the first hour to turn all the knobs and switch all the switches, the instructor in the back,out of sight (and reach!) The high mounted engine has advantages and disadvantages. The side stick, controlling ailerons and elevator through rods rather than cables, feels right to me. The visibility both up and down are nearly unrestricted - a big plus for me.
...and also because it has a 3-blade prop, which it is a pet peeve of mine.
In much of the aviation world, people pay a premium for that third blade, though I admit its also a matter of taste. Never heard of it peeving anyone before!

But go with something that tickles YOUR fancy. To me, if it flies it's OK in my book!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

I just prefer that low and slow LSAs should have a 2-blade prop. I don't mind a 3-blade prop on planes that have a high-horsepower engine or if it is fast and high.

Are there any CFI from Mid Island Air Service on Long Island don't mind flying the school's plane from over there to my airport in NJ? What is the process like?
Aerco

Post by Aerco »

[quote="N918KT"]I just prefer that low and slow LSAs should have a 2-blade prop. I don't mind a 3-blade prop on planes that have a high-horsepower engine or if it is fast and high.

/quote]

The reasons for using a three bladed prop versus a two-bladed are technical, but it has nothing to do with high/low/fast/slow.

With the Sky Arrow, you have a limited diameter, so three blades help to absorb the power. Sometimes three bladed props run smoother since it s moment of inertia is more evenly distributed or because of resonance issues. Ideally we'd flying single blade props! And yes, that has been tried int he past...
"Someone already thought of that."
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Ideally we'd flying single blade props!
Well, its been tried with steering wheels:

For extra credit, name that car! :wink:
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

My dad has an A model 40hp taylorcraft that at one time had an Everoll <SP> 1 blade prop on it. They were going to try to set an altitude record with it. The big problem was it had a wood blade and any changes in moisture required re-balancing. Tom
drseti

Post by drseti »

FastEddieB wrote: For extra credit, name that car! :wink:
I would guess the Tucker (but that's only a guess).
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Aerco

Post by Aerco »

FastEddieB wrote:
Ideally we'd flying single blade props!
Well, its been tried with steering wheels:

For extra credit, name that car! :wink:
It's a Renault 4. Also known as a biscuit tin on wheels in England.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

It's a Renault 4
I don't think so...

http://bringatrailer.com/2008/04/19/ooh ... 6-berline/
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Aerco

Post by Aerco »

FastEddieB wrote:
It's a Renault 4
I don't think so...

http://bringatrailer.com/2008/04/19/ooh ... 6-berline/
Ah you got me there - Citroen was my second guess.
pietermk

Post by pietermk »

FastEddieB wrote:
I really don't like the Sky Arrow because it doesn't look like a normal airplane...
Well, of course there's no accounting for taste!

i have done all my LSa training and checkride in the skyarrow. It is a wonderful plane to fly, superb visibility, great cross wind handling, it will not go very fast about 95k depending on the winds. Only "disadvantage" is the useful load, with full fuel 18 gls 375 lbs. So it is my plane of choice when taking up my 9 year old son

Pieter
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

My Sky Arrow empty weight is 861 lbs.

I don't have much LSA experience beyond the Sky Arrow. Are other LSA's that much lighter? They're all up against the same 1,320 lb. max, so its hard to imagine too much difference.

FWIW, here's a little simplified loading schedule I can go to with heavier pilots:

One thing I would wish for was more fuel capacity - with just me and my wife I could carry a lot more than 18 gals and stay under gross.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

FastEddieB wrote:My Sky Arrow empty weight is 861 lbs.

I don't have much LSA experience beyond the Sky Arrow. Are other LSA's that much lighter?
Eddie, my SportStar Plus weighs in at 740.8 pounds (and that includes the 2.2 pounds I added when I upgraded the avionics and added an engine preheater). So, it sounds to me as though your Arrow is unusually heavy.

My max gross weight is only 1268. To upgrade it to 1320, I need to add vortex generators (the acft is structurally able to handle the extra 52 pounds, but the clean stall speed shoots up above the 45 kt LSA limit). There's a Service Bulletin for this, and a kit (which I've had on order for months - it comes from Czech Republic via slow boat...) Even at 1268, I can carry full fuel (31 gals) plus two FAA-standard 170 pound adults.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

my 06 ctsw, loaded with options is 719lbs
Bill

Post by Bill »

My Ercoupe, at nearly 64 years of age tips the "official, calibrated" scale at 880. I never fill the tanks (24 gal. max) unless I am flying a good distance solo. At less than 5 GPH we usually have two hours plus reserve, which is plenty for most of the flying I do with a passenger. She is just now finishing up an Annual and I am having the 1320 Pound gross weight STC done - so I can add a bit more fuel (or eat another donut or two :roll: ).
--
<i>If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.
Selling Personal Checks and Business Checks helps pay for the 'Coupe.</i> :)
--