Need training advice

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

drseti

Re: Instruction

Post by drseti »

JamesMN wrote: The more I read, the more I find out how wrong about stuff my CFI is. He told me I needed 3 hrs preperaton but it is only 2. He also told me hood time is NOT required but it is for a CT or anything faster than 87k. (1hr).
James, the CFI was correct two weeks ago. When did he tell you these things? The new rule changes went into effect 2 April, and (unfortunately) not all CFIs have gotten the word yet. But those two changes (2 hrs prep vs. 3, and instrument instruction) are so recent that you probably can cut your CFI some slack.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

JamesMN wrote: I have never heard the 3hr, now 2hr preperation within 60 days has to be with your original CFI.
It doesn't, James. But, the prep has to be with whomever signs you off for the practical exam. Or, more precisely, I'm not allowed to sign off anyone for a practical test unless I have given him or her 2 hours of dual in preparation for the test, within the preceeding 60 days. So, if you do your prep with one CFI, you won't be able to get a different CFI to sign your flight test approval form.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

JamesMN wrote:Probably will cost me the down payment on my own plane if he charges me 50.00 per hour waiting time.
Although I don't know your CFI, I can't think of anyone who would charge you his or her hourly rate to wait for you to complete a checkride. In fact, most CFIs consider it an honor and a pleasure to be there to congratulate you when you pass! (The instructor should bring a book, get comfortable in the pilot's lounge, and enjoy the break.)
My other option is I could beg the DPE to come up here and offer him another 200.00 but from our initial conversation he didn't throw that out there and sounded like I was expected to come to him.
That surprises me. The nearest LSA DPE to my airport is 150 miles away. He has offered to fly up to give checkrides, for a flat fee which is actually less than what it would cost my students to rent the plane and pay me to fly there with them. Since DPEs are in fact pilots, and all pilots love to fly on somebody else's nickel, what is his problem with coming to the student, for a fee?
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
ka7eej

Post by ka7eej »

drseti wrote: It doesn't, James. But, the prep has to be with whomever signs you off for the practical exam. Or, more precisely, I'm not allowed to sign off anyone for a practical test unless I have given him or her 2 hours of dual in preparation for the test, within the preceeding 60 days. So, if you do your prep with one CFI, you won't be able to get a different CFI to sign your flight test approval form.
Drseti,

I'm still a little confused by your answer.. If I had taken all of my training with another CFI, except 2 hours of prep in the last 60 days, I could spend 2 hours of prep with you and you could sign me off to take the practical test?... Does not sound right to me...Or several CFI's that I have talked to, unless I am misunderstanding you..

Brian
Owner of N3081X (Cover Girl) A Beautiful Allegro 2000 as seen on the cover and inside of several magazines!!
drseti

Post by drseti »

ka7eej wrote:If I had taken all of my training with another CFI, except 2 hours of prep in the last 60 days, I could spend 2 hours of prep with you and you could sign me off to take the practical test?

Yes, that is in fact legal, according to the FARs. I'm not saying it's right, or even practical, but that's what the regs say, as I interpret them. Of course, after flying only 2 hours with you, I probably wouldn't be comfortable signing you off. But, if you dazzled me with your proficiency in those two hours, I could, and I might.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
ka7eej

Post by ka7eej »

drseti wrote:
ka7eej wrote:If I had taken all of my training with another CFI, except 2 hours of prep in the last 60 days, I could spend 2 hours of prep with you and you could sign me off to take the practical test?

Yes, that is in fact legal, according to the FARs. I'm not saying it's right, or even practical, but that's what the regs say, as I interpret them. Of course, after flying only 2 hours with you, I probably wouldn't be comfortable signing you off. But, if you dazzled me with your proficiency in those two hours, I could, and I might.
Is this the Far that you interpret that way?

61.307 B........(b) Practical test. You must pass a practical test on the applicable areas of operation listed in §§61.309 and 61.311. Before you may take the practical test for a sport pilot certificate, you must receive a logbook endorsement from the authorized instructor who provided you with flight training on the areas of operation specified in §§61.309 and 61.311 in preparation for the practical test. This endorsement certifies that you meet the applicable aeronautical knowledge and experience requirements and are prepared for the practical test...........

Don't think so! As good as you may be I don't think that you can be "
the authorized instructor who provided you with flight training on the areas of operation specified in §§61.309 and 61.311 in preparation for the practical test".........in just 2 hours of prep!!

Anyone elso have an opinion on this rule??

Brian
Owner of N3081X (Cover Girl) A Beautiful Allegro 2000 as seen on the cover and inside of several magazines!!
rfane

Post by rfane »

ka7eej wrote:[Anyone elso have an opinion on this rule??
As he said, it's legal, but no CFI that I have ever met is going to sign someone off for the checkride with only those two hours.
Roger Fane
Former owner of a 2006 Flight Design CTsw
smokiescfi

Post by smokiescfi »

No instrument training is required for the Sport Pilot rating, regardless of aircraft speed. Only 2 hours of prep are required. 2 hours of instruction in the 60 days prior to a checkride is usually not sufficient for most 20 hour students to be ready for a checkride, in my experience.
Greg Collins
ATP, Gold Seal Master CFI, A&P Mechanic, IA
Blue Ridge Sport Flight LLC
http://www.blueridgesportflight.com
drseti

Post by drseti »

smokiescfi wrote:No instrument training is required for the Sport Pilot rating,
Greg, it is my understanding that this is one of the changes made in the rules revision that took effect 2 April. Operation of the aircraft by reference to instruments, if the aircraft is so equipped.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
smokiescfi

Post by smokiescfi »

Where is it published in the Federal Register and what procedures are used for aircraft not equipped for instrument flight?

The link below is to the current Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/te ... 1.2.10.1.6

As of April 15th, there is no mention of instrument training under CFR 61.313.
Greg Collins
smokiescfi

Post by smokiescfi »

The requirement for instrument training was withdrawn from the final rule change. Look at the Federal Register. Volume 75, No. 20, page 5205, section II, "Summary of Final Rule":

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2010/pdf/2010-2056.pdf
Greg Collins
drseti

Post by drseti »

smokiescfi wrote: As of April 15th, there is no mention of instrument training under CFR 61.313.
I stand corrected, Greg. That provision was Proposal #5 in the NPRM, and received positive comments, but according to Paul Hamilton, was not adopted in the final rule:

"Withdrawn: Require 1 hour of flight training on the control and maneuvering of an airplane solely by reference to instruments for student pilots seeking a sport pilot certificate to operate an airplane with a VH greater than 87 knots CAS and sport pilots operating airplanes with a VH greater than 87 knots CAS (proposal 5)"

(ref: http://beasportpilot.com/tag/faa-rules/)

That said, I still include an hour of instrument training in my Sport Pilot curriculum. My reasoning is: the fact that this is a VFR-only rating will not prevent Sport Pilots from occasionally stumbling into clouds. I train for the 180 degree turn solely by reference to instruments - nothing more.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
smokiescfi

Post by smokiescfi »

Paul, I agree 100% with your policy of including instrument training in your course. The FAA requirements are certainly minimums.
Greg Collins
Bill

Post by Bill »

smokiescfi wrote:Paul, I agree 100% with your policy of including instrument training in your course. The FAA requirements are certainly minimums.
Absolutely a good move. Knowing how to do that 180 degree in zero vis turn may be a life saver one day. Ya just never know.
--
<i>If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.
Selling Personal Checks and Business Checks helps pay for the 'Coupe.</i> :)
--
yozz25

instr training

Post by yozz25 »

From a students perspective, it can't hurt. Understanding how to rely on instruments when visibility goes out is priceless frm my perspective.

Just knowing that you have the ability to view your instruments with some confidence is calming in itself. I would even love to do spin recovery if at all feasable.

yozz