Need training advice

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

JamesMN

Need training advice

Post by JamesMN »

Hi All,
I'm new to this forum but glad the guys at ctflyer dot com sent me in this diretion. I have an old school GA CFI who happens to be the only sport plane option for me within driving distance. I have 30 hours and have completed my dual x country. I still need a solo x country, 3 hrs prep and a checkride. While he is knowledgeabe and easy to talk to, I don't feel I"m getting the knowledge transfer I need for xwind landings. I might be his first SP student. I frequently find I know more of the regs than he does. I really want to keep a good relationship with him. We are in a small town in minnesota. He seems more interested in me flying around in the practice area running up the hobbs than getting me finished. Is it unreasonable for me to expect him to have a DPE to check me out? Bottom line is I have a week of vacation coming up in a few weeks and want to use that time to complete my requirements and take my checkride. I feel I might be better off going to a real SP school to finish up since they have more experience and know what I need to do, get done, and can line me up with a DPE. I'd appreciate any advice on how to approach this.
1947 Champ 7BCM-171 owner
tadel001

Post by tadel001 »

James, your experience is unfortunately not unique. In fact, we get a fair amount of students that trained at other locations and then got to the end of the yellow brick road only to find no wizard of oz, i.e. the DPE. A DPE must have 5 hours in make and model before giving a checkride in the LSA. If you are renting from a school, they should get the DPE the 5 hours of time.

Whenever we get a new airplane in, one of the first things we do is get our local DPEs up in the plane so they can give checkouts. No sense in training someone if they can't get the certificate.

I would caution you against switching at this stage unless the instruction is bad. See if you can convinence the school to get the DPE the 5 hours of time.

Good luck!
JamesMN

Thanks! Think this might work yet.

Post by JamesMN »

I found a DPE that is only 1hr (flying) away and is willing to check me out in the CT. So I can either pay my instructor to fly with me the hour and back (hopefully he don't hammer me for stand-by time) or drive a few hours and possibly rent a CT from Dakota Sport Aviation which is 50 miles from the DPE's base. Starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel. I have to see if my cfi wants to fly down with me and also figure the costs. It might be cheaper to drive down to Souix Falls SD, stay in a hotel for 2 days and do my 3 hours preperation with Dakota Sport (I haven't called them yet but know they have a CT) and take the checkride that way.
roger lee

Instruction

Post by roger lee »

Hi James,

I think with what I know about your situation it may be less frustrating and tense to drive and stay.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
JamesMN

Re: Instruction

Post by JamesMN »

roger lee wrote:Hi James,

I think with what I know about your situation it may be less frustrating and tense to drive and stay.
I agree 100% Roger. I just need to do a little checking on Dakota Aviation and also see if they agree to it. They apparently have a new CTLS. The more I read, the more I find out how wrong about stuff my CFI is. He told me I needed 3 hrs preperaton but it is only 2. He also told me hood time is NOT required but it is for a CT or anything faster than 87k. (1hr). It really bugs me that he should know this stuff and also seems very non-chalant when I try to advise him. I have sent him numerous links of the regs and info with no acknowledgement on his part. I don't want to piss him off, I need to rent his plane but I feel like shaking him by the shoulders sometimes. I should get a higher level of service at 50.00 per hr. He just opened this FBO last year and I have a gut feeling, he wants out. His actions certainly give that impression becaue the airport is dead most of the time and you would think as a CFI, he would make it his business to know the curriculum he is charging to teach.

In this time of my training, I should be focusing on studying the PTS not worring about if my endorcements are correct and researching the rules he should be imparting to me.
James
ka7eej

Post by ka7eej »

James,

The prep just changed from 3 to 2... BUT, who is going to sign you off for your checkride? I think you are going to need to have your current CFI sign you off for your checkride ( so the prep needs to be with him) and then do what ever you need to do to get with the DME.. I do also think that the under the hood 1 hour is now required, but I could be wrong..as well a several other endorsemnets and signoffs... Like did you miss any questions on your written.... You must receive a signoff that you have been reinstructed in the areas you missed...

Good luck,

Brian
Owner of N3081X (Cover Girl) A Beautiful Allegro 2000 as seen on the cover and inside of several magazines!!
JamesMN

Post by JamesMN »

ka7eej wrote:James,

The prep just changed from 3 to 2... BUT, who is going to sign you off for your checkride? I think you are going to need to have your current CFI sign you off for your checkride ( so the prep needs to be with him) and then do what ever you need to do to get with the DME.. I do also think that the under the hood 1 hour is now required, but I could be wrong..as well a several other endorsemnets and signoffs... Like did you miss any questions on your written.... You must receive a signoff that you have been reinstructed in the areas you missed...

Good luck,

Brian
Brian,
I did get 4 questions wrong on the written. I have never heard the 3hr, now 2hr preperation within 60 days has to be with your original CFI. Any CFI can sign me off at any stage for any endorcement provided I satisfy what is required. In contrast, many flight schools that have more than 1 cfi will use a different CFI for the pre checkride hours just be sure everything is covered and the student it ready. My problem is that my instructor doesn't know the rules and isn't motivated to learn them.
zdc

Re: Instruction

Post by zdc »

[quote="JamesMN"][quote="roger lee"]Hi James,

. He also told me hood time is NOT required but it is for a CT or anything faster than 87k. (1hr)..

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the FAA withdrew the requirement for 1 hr hood time for Sport from the final rule.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

From CFR 61.9312) Control and maneuvering solely by reference to flight instruments, including straight and level flight, turns, descents, climbs, use of radio aids, and ATC directives. For student pilots seeking a sport pilot certificate, the provisions of this paragraph only apply when receiving training for cross-country flight in an airplane that has a VHgreater than 87 knots CAS.
AZPilot

Post by AZPilot »

I would be surprised is an Instructor would sign you off for a checkride, only doing the 3/2 hours prep with you in the preceeding 60 days.

This is a small can of worms, because someone has to solo you out of the airport at which the practical exam will be taken. You would also have to "check out" in the new FBOs aircraft and meet their insurance mins.

Best course of action would be to get your CFI to go with you and just take the aircraft that you normally fly.

The other benefit is that if there is any logbook or 8710 problems, your CFI is right there to fix them.

In my recent life, our school did enough checkrides that the DPE would come to us.
CFIIMEI
JamesMN

Post by JamesMN »

Well Dakota Aviation sold their CT so now my only option is to finish with him if he is willing to fly down to Brooking SD with me. Probably will cost me the down payment on my own plane if he charges me 50.00 per hour waiting time.

I will do some calling of leads I got from ctflyer and see my other options. I got a reply from a flight school in Iowa that said they had a CT and offered to give me a loaner car and had cheap hotels but I'm not sure if they have a DPE. All include traveling 100's of miles. My other option is I could beg the DPE to come up here and offer him another 200.00 but from our initial conversation he didn't throw that out there and sounded like I was expected to come to him.

I just can't beleive that I am having to do all this background work! He should be giving me credit for this as he a few other students that are probably stuck in the same holding pattern I am.
JamesMN

Post by JamesMN »

AZPilot wrote:I would be surprised is an Instructor would sign you off for a checkride, only doing the 3/2 hours prep with you in the preceeding 60 days.

This is a small can of worms, because someone has to solo you out of the airport at which the practical exam will be taken. You would also have to "check out" in the new FBOs aircraft and meet their insurance mins.

Best course of action would be to get your CFI to go with you and just take the aircraft that you normally fly.

The other benefit is that if there is any logbook or 8710 problems, your CFI is right there to fix them.

In my recent life, our school did enough checkrides that the DPE would come to us.
That is why am looking at all my options. I will most likely do at least 5 hours training at least if I go somewhere else.
AZPilot

Post by AZPilot »

Another choice is that you fly with your Instructor to the checkride airport and then get an endorsement to go solo there for the checkride.

We used to do that here when a DPE wouldn't/couldn't come to us.

Honestly, as a CFI, yours should be willing to make the trip with you, and only in my opinion,for a very nominal fee. It is also good for his future biz if the CFI and DPE have a "rapport".

I feel your pain, as it is a matter of professional standards to me. I probably had the best time of my life instructing full time for many years. Unfortunately, also the financially poorist. Myself and others that I know would take up the fight again, but as it was....so shall it be. The financial dynamic hasn't changed in 30 years.
CFIIMEI
JamesMN

Post by JamesMN »

AZPilot wrote:Another choice is that you fly with your Instructor to the checkride airport and then get an endorsement to go solo there for the checkride.

Honestly, as a CFI, yours should be willing to make the trip with you, and only in my opinion,for a very nominal fee. It is also good for his future biz if the CFI and DPE have a "rapport".

I feel your pain, as it is a matter of professional standards to me. I probably had the best time of my life instructing full time for many years. Unfortunately, also the financially poorist. Myself and others that I know would take up the fight again, but as it was....so shall it be. The financial dynamic hasn't changed in 30 years.
I will him ask him about that but happens if I fail? Will I be able to fly home?
AZPilot

Post by AZPilot »

JamesMN wrote:
AZPilot wrote:Another choice is that you fly with your Instructor to the checkride airport and then get an endorsement to go solo there for the checkride.

I will him ask him about that but happens if I fail? Will I be able to fly home?
Sure. You'd be signed off for a X/C, and even if you were unsuccessful on the flight check, you are still a student solo.

Also remember that the flight check is just a snapshot of your abilities on a specific day. Don't make more of it than it is. I've had students that were excellent, thought there was no way that they wouldn't pass, and they had a brain fart. The DPE is just your first passenger, not the Gestapo.
(Well the greatest majority of them anyway :D ) That's another good reason for the DPE and CFI to have a relationship.

My CFIs were always present when a DPE debriefed a checkride , pass or fail.
CFIIMEI