Count SP Instruction Toward Higher Ratings?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

bryancobb

Count SP Instruction Toward Higher Ratings?

Post by bryancobb »

I have read several places, including on this forum, that dual instruction, received from a CFI Sport, cannot be used to meet any dual instruction Aeronautical Experience requirements for a Private License or higher.

I am sure this is incorrect. I am open to be proven wrong though.

If I remember correctly, the doubt was centered around the idea that a CFI Sport doesn't meet the "Authorized Instructor" sniff-test [for example 61.109(a)] to log dual for Private ratings and higher.

I believe all dual (from both "Subpart K" and "Subpart H" instructors) can be counted toward higher ratings unless the dual was in an "ultralight vehicle."
Bryan Cobb
Sport Pilot CFI
Commercial/Instrument Airplane
Commercial Rotorcraft Helicopter
Manufacturing Engineer II, Meggitt Airframe Systems, Fuel Systems & Composites Group
Cartersville, Ga
[email protected]
tadel001

Post by tadel001 »

There is a long history behind this. The bottom line...some (trying not to use a nasty word) person took it upon himself to ask for a legal opinion from FAA general counsel office. The GC said, Sport CFI does not count towards PP. AFS-610 was split on this issue but inclined to have SPI count towards PP. Unfortunately, the legal opinion eliminated that possibility.

I could write pages and pages on this but the bottom line, bad result because of a dumb question (there are dumb questions).
bryancobb

In Writing??

Post by bryancobb »

Sorry to be a "doubting Thomas" but does anyone know of anywhere this determination is IN WRITING?
Bryan Cobb
Sport Pilot CFI
Commercial/Instrument Airplane
Commercial Rotorcraft Helicopter
Manufacturing Engineer II, Meggitt Airframe Systems, Fuel Systems & Composites Group
Cartersville, Ga
[email protected]
scottj

dumb questions

Post by scottj »

There is no such thing as a dumb question. Especially when it comes to flight training and FAA regulations.

I applaud the Pilot who called and asked for clarification of the rules on training from a Sport only CFI. Frankly, I teach my students to call the FAA when they have a question the FAR/AIM does not answer or cannot be answered by a local CFI.

I even call the IRS when I have a tax questions.

What kind of CFI would ever say something like that, or more so... on a public message board. Perhaps one that has not taken the time earn himself a CFI ticket and has a Sport only?

Just asking the question.... does that make me an @#$hole?
Flight training begins on the ground, not in the air.℠
2011 FAASTeam Representative of the Year, Great Lakes Region
http://www.SticknRudder.com
comperini

Re: In Writing??

Post by comperini »

bryancobb wrote:Sorry to be a "doubting Thomas" but does anyone know of anywhere this determination is IN WRITING?
here you go: http://www.121five.com/admin/FeatureArt ... esheet.pdf
tadel001

Post by tadel001 »

Scottj,

This was not a student asking the question. (However, even if it were a student, I hope instructors are not advising students to ask the general counsel's office for opinion on certain ambiguities. There is an established process through FSDOs, Sectors, Departments, etc.) In this case, AOPA, EAA and many individuals worked with AFS-610 to discuss making a change in policy. The reporter decided he would scoop the organizations and go to GC for an opinion. Anyone who paid close attention to the issue would have know that the GC would have given that opinion. We are now stuck with it until a new reg is provided.

So, while I generally agree that there are no dumb questions for students, there are dumb questions by other people.