Tailwheel landings

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

seastar

Tailwheel landings

Post by seastar »

I ordered a Cub Crafters Carbon Cub last month for delivery in April.
I have been flying a PA18 Super Cub to gain some experience in a similar aircraft.
I now have about 4 hours in the PA18. So far, I don't see the "picture" when landing. It's either a bounce or a tail first landing or some other bad thing.
I find my 5000+ hours in heavier tricycle gear aircraft no help at all.
I have a Scout available for training and have been wondering if it's better view over the nose might help me conquer the tailwheel demon?
The Scout is 65 HP and that would be a vast difference from the Cub Crafters CC 180 HP. That might not translate too well - or would it??
Help--
Bill
Doss79

Post by Doss79 »

Bill,
Study the sight picture when you're sitting in the PA-18 on the ground. Notice where the horizon intersects the cowling/etc.

Aim for that same sight picture when you flare. Keep it and hold it there.

There's also a video you could buy that may help you with the landings:

http://www.tailwheel101.com/Damian_DelG ... A_101.html

Highly recommended.
Super Cub

tail whheel

Post by Super Cub »

Bill,
Find a grass strip and practice your landings there. The sod is more forgiving and landing will come easier.
bryancobb

Hang in there!

Post by bryancobb »

Hang in there seastar. You WILL "get it."

My buddy Bill was getting discouraged and looking at converting his Kitfox to tricycle LMAO ...

And then one day... CLICK! No problems ever again.

When I was learning to hover in a heli...I stayed discouraged for the first 20 hours or so. I was ready to quit. Now I hover with the stick between my knees and the collective frictioned, while taking a drink of bottled water with one hand and tuning the radio with the other.

You WILL "get it."

Bryan
Bryan Cobb
Sport Pilot CFI
Commercial/Instrument Airplane
Commercial Rotorcraft Helicopter
Manufacturing Engineer II, Meggitt Airframe Systems, Fuel Systems & Composites Group
Cartersville, Ga
[email protected]