I solo'ed, now what?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

MacPara23

I solo'ed, now what?

Post by MacPara23 »

After starting my flight lessons for SPA in early September, I solo'ed about 10 days ago. I was pretty confident with my instructor on my side and he didn't have to save me from doing anything stupid in the last 8 hours before solo. My solo ride was pretty unspectacular and I pretty much just got rid of the "dead weight" as another gentleman phrased it here before.
Since that day I feel a little lost in what to do next...
My goal was and is to get the proficiency needed for the checkride quickly and be able to get onto weekend getaways with my wife as soon as possible.
Since that seat next to me is vacated I feel that I'm unsure what to do and how to accomplish this goal without pushing me too hard and possibly get myself into a situation that exceeds my level of competence.
I have 4 hours of solo time now and I started to catch up with repeating the first lessons, turn around a point, s-turns, power-on and -off stalls - nothing fancy. It still gets me nervous though, when I start in the early morning (southern Arizona) in perfectly smooth air and come back for practicing landings and it got pretty bumpy in the pattern.
I guess I'm concerned that I unlearn maneuvers that I already felt to have a grip on if I don't get back to practicing them soon. My instructor though told me to take it easy for now and not try to do any fancy stuff like forward slips to a landing or soft or short field landings.
Any ideas or suggestions to get the most out of my air time in respect to getting ready for my checkride?

Thanks.
Doss79

Post by Doss79 »

Mac,
That's EXACTLY the same feelings I'm going through. I just soloed a week ago in a J3 Cub and now that I'm alone, I get a little anxious and nervous when flying--the more I realize how much I still need to learn! This thing can still kill you if you are not careful! I still get a little creeped out when flying over lakes and seeing formations of birds flying below me. ON the other hand, when I'm flying a XC and it's smooth, I think it's the greatest thing in the world and consider myself so fortunate to fly while everyone else on the ground is in their little cars driving to their little homes in their little world. When you fly, your world is so much bigger.

I'm also still nervous of practicing stalls on my own since I always have the thought of entering into a spin in the back of my head. It's very hard to stall a CUb, even if I force it, but still, I have caught myself turning from base to final too slow at times.

Make sure you have a good checklist.

As for what to do post-solo, keep practicing on your basic skills and perfect your landings. Keep your instructors voice in your head and dont' let your mind wander around aimlessly when you are flying. Always think AHEAD of the airplane.
pitfield

Post-solo thoughts

Post by pitfield »

I'm still post-solo myself. I have about 25 hours solo and just finished my tail-dragger rating, which has been a blast. I initially did a bunch of circuit work, and varied aircraft configuration each time (no flaps, 1, 2 and 3 notches, power on/off etc) so I'd have to fly the plane and plan my approach slightly differently each time. I also worked at ensuring I put the wheels on the ground in exactly the intended spot; without seeking variety and precision, circuit work becomes a bit tedious. I have also done a fair bit of cross-country work. I started going to adjacent airports to which I'd already flown, and then started visiting airports further afield that required more careful prepwork and navigation. I always bring along a GPS, but I've forced myself to navigate properly using charts and a watch. I've started filing flight plans for the lengthier trips and, as with everything aviation, what one thinks might be an intimidating experience is always easier than imagined.
On days with excessively high winds I've grabbed an instructor and done circuits on the runways that maximize cross-winds. I like the challenge and the more one does of this stuff the better one will become.
The one thing I do practice fairly regularly is slow and super-slow flight. Getting accustomed to slow flight regimes is IMHO the most important aspect of flying an aircraft; nobody gets in trouble in cruise, but as one approaches the higher angles of attack every aircraft handles a bit differently. On top of that, of course, is the fact that most of us only encounter slow flight close to the ground.
Finally, I've started re-reading STICK AND RUDDER. It's a great book and I think I learn something new every time I open it up.
markfnkl

Post by markfnkl »

I have a problem seeing the value of slow flight, for one reason: as a training exercise it's performed with a relatively high power setting. As such, it's very different from the actual close-to-the-ground conditions in which slow flight is performed, which is typically power off or close to it.
pitfield

Post-solo & High Angle of Attack

Post by pitfield »

I should perhaps have referred to "high angle of attack' rather than slow flight. And I think it a prudent area of practise regardless of power setting. While it is true that one is often at low power settings during the circuit, it is equally true that guys often 'drag' their aircraft on to the ground at comparatively high angles of attack (under certain, intentional circumstances - full flaps etc etc). Angle of attack can vary constantly (if wind conditions are variable or gusty) and I'd argue, admittedly as an amateur, that time spent at higher than usual angles of attack (safely at altitude) is time well spent.
I'd also (cautiously) suggest that many of those unfortunate souls who have spun into the ground turning final have done so because they used too much rudder in a tight turn with an inappropriately high angle of attack. Had they immediately reduced their angle of attack they'd have reduced g's and dropped their stall speed. I suspect this is the same thing that grabs those who lose power on takeoff and try, usually unsuccessfully, to return to the runway from a relatively low altitude AGL.
During my training we did what I call 'slow flight' with both power on and off. Power on permitted us to maintain altitude at high angles of attack, and with power off we'd sink. Both exercises were instructive (I thought), and relatively low power, high angle of attack flying especially so if for some reason endurance becomes important.
The final observation that I'd make here should have been made in my initial post: I try quite hard to ensure that every flight has some sort of productive, experiential value-add. It strikes me that a guy can fly around the circuit for his first 100 hours, but effectively have the same hour of experience one hundred times. Somebody else can spend the same 100 hours exploring flight characteristics or visiting (and hopefully locating) new airfields; his 100 hours will probably create a more experienced and possibly competent pilot.
I'm 54 and have about 90 hours. I am never going to reach 16,000 hours, and instead figure that if I can fly perhaps 120 hours a year I'll be doing quite well. If I want to be a competent pilot, I feel I must make those hours as useful and educational as possible.
It would be great if a CFI or more experienced pilot could chime in here. This is important stuff and I know I'm insufficiently knowledgeable and eloquent to discuss this as well as the subject deserves.
MacPara23

Re: Post-solo & High Angle of Attack

Post by MacPara23 »

pitfield wrote:I should perhaps have referred to "high angle of attack' rather than slow flight. And I think it a prudent area of practise regardless of power setting. While it is true that one is often at low power settings during the circuit, it is equally true that guys often 'drag' their aircraft on to the ground at comparatively high angles of attack (under certain, intentional circumstances - full flaps etc etc). Angle of attack can vary constantly (if wind conditions are variable or gusty) and I'd argue, admittedly as an amateur, that time spent at higher than usual angles of attack (safely at altitude) is time well spent.
I concur with pitfield in thinking that getting a feel for handling "slow flight" is indeed beneficial even if it would be just for getting to realize how the airplane feels when getting close to a stall - but it is certainly more than that. We never did slow flight at idle but I think this could be even more beneficial than doing it while maintain altitude and I think I'll try that over the next couple of days.
On another note, it's really good to see that I'm not alone feeling a bit lost after soloing.
I guess I just hang in and go with pitfield in trying to work on something every flight. One step after the other ...
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

I just got signed off for my checkride, so I'm right there with you.

Remember that just because you solo'ed doesn't mean you can't fly with instructor. I think I've learned a lot more from my instructor after soloing than I did before, because all those words have more context and urgency.

Make a list, mental or physical of all those questions you have while flying solo, then grab your instructor and go flying and start asking. This might be a time to work on controlled airspace endorsement, or if your plane allows it, get a little hood time.

Good luck,
Ron
MacPara23

Post by MacPara23 »

rsteele wrote:I just got signed off for my checkride, so I'm right there with you.
Now I'm curious ... how long since you soloed did that take you and how many hours took it?
sethdallob

Post by sethdallob »

For me, the key things I learned post-solo (and got much better at post checkride) were:

1. Forward and side slips to land, both to lose altitude quickly (warning - wife will get very scared unless you announce what is happening and why she isn't going to die before you begin the maneuver) and to straighten the plane in a crosswind situation. After a few months of flying for "real", these things become automatic.

2. Getting the hang of the trim, and the concept that it is your "cruise control." I learned how to finesse the trim to keep a more or less constant airspeed and just adjust the throttle to cruise, ascend and descend. It's one less thing to think about and helps take some of the burden off flying - particularly useful for controlled descents while you are getting set up for landing. For example, I know by feel what the setting is for 110 mph - at that trim setting, 4800 rpm is level cruise, anything above that I'm climbing, anything below that I'm descending - but at that speed.

3. Landing in crappy air. Landing in perfectly smooth air with no wind can be done practically blindfolded. Landing and maneuvering in constant turbulence and gusty conditions is a lot more "fun." If it's gusty, less flaps and a faster approach speed is called for, but you need to be comfortable with this much longer flare and landing rollout than normal - the plane handles completely different in this configuration and I'd recommend getting these techniques down cold before you have to do it for "real." You also should be comfortable with the notion of flying in one direction and having your nose pointed somewhere else - it's quite a sensation when you are trying to turn base and final and find yourself flying in a very different direction than you want to be.

Regarding slow flight - the concept of using the stick to control airspeed and the throttle to control vertical speed is most important when landing in crappy air and finding yourself coming in low. Pull back on the stick first and you'll be in a bad spot. You have to add throttle and keep the stick steady...this is counter intuitive, as are crosswind landings....the combination of these two are by far the toughest thing to get the "feel" for, but perhaps the most dangerous.
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

MacPara23 wrote:
rsteele wrote:I just got signed off for my checkride, so I'm right there with you.
Now I'm curious ... how long since you soloed did that take you and how many hours took it?
I soloed in May, got signed off in November. This isn't indicative of how long it should take! I'm college poor right now (daughter, not me) so there was about three months of no flying at all. That said, everything seems to take longer than it should, weather and plane scheduling being the big culprits for me. I've flown more with instructors than normal because there have been long periods between flights. Hours? I'd have to look in the log book. I've got about 7 hours solo, maybe an addition 7 to 10 with instructor since solo. This includes refresher and training for the Washington DC SFRA. I'm no prize student, that's for sure.

Good luck,
Ron
AZPilot

Post by AZPilot »

Interesting postings.

My question is why your instructor is not giving you guidance on what you should be doing on each solo flight. Ultimately he is responsible for your training.

Typically after solo, the instructor assigns you specific maneuvers to do on each solo flight. He should be flying with you every few flights to make sure that you are not picking up an bad habits.

The idea is to practice to PTS on each task required while solo.

A solo sign off is not supposed to be throwing you to the wolves.

Is your instructor a CFI or a Light Sport Instructor?
MacPara23

Post by MacPara23 »

AZPilot wrote:Interesting postings.

My question is why your instructor is not giving you guidance on what you should be doing on each solo flight. Ultimately he is responsible for your training.

Typically after solo, the instructor assigns you specific maneuvers to do on each solo flight. He should be flying with you every few flights to make sure that you are not picking up an bad habits.

Hm, this makes me think... So, far I was just assigning these tasks to myself by starting all over again and doing all the things I did in the first lessons just on my own. Also I added some sight-seeing tours to remind myself why I am doing this and just to get comfortable getting away from my home field.
So, far I got 5.5 hrs doing this and now I feel that I need some evaluation or review. I think, I'll talk to my CFI about this. Unfortunately, I just came down with a flu which grounded me and I don't really want to pass it on to my instructor either, so I just stay away from the field for some days.
CFI or LSI? I'm not sure... he has a CFI number but I guess that doesn't say much more than that he is an instructor.
sethdallob

Post by sethdallob »

It depends what subpart he is authorized under. A "full" CFI means that your dual training hours count towards a higher certificate. A Sport Pilot Instructor's dual hours do not count. A lot of people are working to change this rule, but it could take years.
AZPilot

Post by AZPilot »

MacPara23 wrote:
AZPilot wrote:Interesting postings.

Hm, this makes me think... So, far I was just assigning these tasks to myself by starting all over again and doing all the things I did in the first lessons just on my own. Also I added some sight-seeing tours to remind myself why I am doing this and just to get comfortable getting away from my home field.
So, far I got 5.5 hrs doing this and now I feel that I need some evaluation or review. I think, I'll talk to my CFI about this. Unfortunately, I just came down with a flu which grounded me and I don't really want to pass it on to my instructor either, so I just stay away from the field for some days.
CFI or LSI? I'm not sure... he has a CFI number but I guess that doesn't say much more than that he is an instructor.
Solo should also be a time to gain confidence in your abilities.

There is nothing wrong with just taking a "sight seeing" trip to the practice area once in awhile.

My only concern would be that you don't lose the proficiency that you had pre-solo. After solo, you and your instructor should be really trying to get you prepped for the flight check. The "grunt work" is really pre-solo, and usually a student should try to finish up pretty quickly afterwords.

Did your instructor put any "conditions/limitations" on your solo endorsement? Also wondering if you have taken the written yet?
CFIIMEI
MacPara23

Post by MacPara23 »

AZPilot wrote:Solo should also be a time to gain confidence in your abilities.

There is nothing wrong with just taking a "sight seeing" trip to the practice area once in awhile.

My only concern would be that you don't lose the proficiency that you had pre-solo. After solo, you and your instructor should be really trying to get you prepped for the flight check. The "grunt work" is really pre-solo, and usually a student should try to finish up pretty quickly afterwords.

Did your instructor put any "conditions/limitations" on your solo endorsement? Also wondering if you have taken the written yet?
I flew again and also talked to him yesterday. He was waiting for me to make the move to ask to go forward after getting some confidence flying alone. We are going to go on another short dual tomorrow to get me prepped for doing the more sophisticated stuff, i.e. short/soft field and forward slip to a landing. With having me do it solo afterwards with ground supervision.
He got very cautious in the last few months as he had some guys going nuts after soloing, freezing up, freaking out, etc.. So he wants to be sure that I do it at my own pace and that I ask for a moving on. I guess that's reasonable.
Yes, he put a 10kts surface wind limitation on it.
And, yes, I ticked the knowledge test off the list weeks before I soloed.