E-LSAs for training

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Aerco

E-LSAs for training

Post by Aerco »

I am sure you've all heard about the recent proposal to extend indefinitely the rule that allows aircraft that were put onto an E-LSA airworthiness certificate to continue to operate as trainers. Or that is the gist of it.

The reasoning was that almost no ready-built aircraft of the type envisaged in the ruling are available as S-LSAs and thus there won't be suitable aircraft around to train people who want to fly Quicksilvers and aircraft of that type.

I am wondering if this proposal would only apply to the current pre-ultimatum (Jan. 2010), registered E-LSAs or new ones too. In other words, would I be able to buy a kit that is eligible for E-LSA certification and use to for paid flight training as a CFI-SP? Too much to hope for, I suppose. But even if that were the case, our choices would be limted - an E-LSA has to be built as an exact copy of an already certified S-LSA and again, there just aren't many kits out there like two-seat Drifters etc, that would meet that requirement.

Once the current crop of exempt E-LSAs wears out, what CFI can afford to go out an buy a certified S-LSA to continue his training operation if the price tag on these things hovers around $100,000?

Any thoughts?
"Someone already thought of that."
Rtrhead

Post by Rtrhead »

If they don't extend it then it is my understanding that you will not be able to use an E-LSA no matter when it is built (someone correct me if i'm wrong). I understand that many new S-LSAs are over 100k, but CFIs also have the option of buying an Ercoupe or similar certified plane for much less than a new S-LSA, and do keep in mind that as light sport aircraft get older, more used models will be available for less money.
-----------
Chris Esposito
Flight Instructor
First Landings Aviation, LLC
[email protected]
Aerco

Post by Aerco »

I guess the FAA's final solution to the problem is to simply issue a Letter of Deviation for the existing E-LSAs that were registered prior to the deadline. It does not mention anywhere that they will allow new E-LSAs to be used for paid flight training, except possibly on a case-by case- basis. God luck with that.

So it appears our only choices for providing entry level training to people who are looking for an affordable way to fly is to use exorbitantly expensive off-the-shelf S-LSAs or get lucky and find a good Ercoupe or Aeronca or suchlike. I can buy three perfectly good 172s for the cost of a Remos for example. Kind of defeats the purpose....
"Someone already thought of that."
AZPilot

Post by AZPilot »

I think that one of the other problems that you would have is getting a commercial/flight training/rental insurance policy on an ELSA.

An Ercoupe is a pretty good old airplane. Who would have thought that they would for 50+ years?
CFIIMEI