Sport Pilot Training

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

tech10002

Post by tech10002 »

The FAA doesn't know what you're supposed to understand either. LOL It's a real mess. I talked to somebody high up in King Schools, and they said that the FAA has been throwing some test questions in the test just to see how people would answer them. Gee thanks!!! There were at least a few questions on my test that I'd never heard of, and I've been around flying for a long time and studied for the test for weeks. I just never actually got to the point of taking the exam until now.

Don't sweat missing a few questions. Your instructor won't let you take the practical until he/she thinks you're ready.
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

There is a complete ground and flight training coures for sport pilots. It was developed not to just pass the Knowledge test, but learn how to fly safely and with confidence.

Here is some background on the system.

“Ground School” has evolved over the years to be “studying to pass the FAA knowledge test”.

But understanding the important things that keep you safe and in one piece are the first and most important things you should learn. Unfortunately, this most important knowledge is not taught for the classical “test prep” ground school.

“Ground School ” is actually three specific areas of knowledge:

1. Learning the flight and aircraft operation procedures before getting in the cockpit, the most fun part of ground school.

2. Leaning the aeronautical knowledge (weather, sectionals, cross country, etc.). This is also an interesting part of ground school that is used be be a safe pilot.

3. Learning the answers to the FAA Questions to pass the knowledge test. This is the least interesting and scariest. It requires unnecessary time spent and additional brain volume required that does us the least good.

Note that the test prep ground school is required, but not at the beginning of flight training or important ground school. It should be known that passing the knowledge test is NOT all the ground school you need. This is further from the truth. The FAA Knowledge test is simply some measure of the applicents ability to remember some of the concepts plus the regulations.

If you can learn the fun and most important stuff first on the ground in “Ground School”, it is more efficient than using the cockpit as the classroom which costs you 3 to 5 times as much to learn the knowledge. Do not worry, all the fun ground school builds towards the final phase of “ground school” to take the FAA Knowledge Test and the Checkride. It is easier to learn the information and than be able to answer the FAA questions, when memorize the questions and answers.

See the DVD’s to learn the fun flying stuff first:

Check out the DVD trailers and see how to learn the fun way.

http://lsapilot.beasportpilot.com/airpl ... ane-video/
The “Hamilton Pilot Training System” (HPTS) www.sport-pilot-training.com is designed to accomplish learning the fun stuff first and then the rest comes easier. You watch the DVD’s before you crack a book. You “learn to fly” in a way to make it fun.

The three “ground schools” are included with lesson plans in the “Sport Pilot Training Syllabus and Workbook” at: www.ap-stores.com
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

We now have the DVD's and most of the books as downloadable if you want to save a tree.
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

tech10002 wrote:The FAA doesn't know what you're supposed to understand either. LOL It's a real mess. I talked to somebody high up in King Schools, and they said that the FAA has been throwing some test questions in the test just to see how people would answer them. Gee thanks!!! There were at least a few questions on my test that I'd never heard of, and I've been around flying for a long time and studied for the test for weeks. I just never actually got to the point of taking the exam until now.

Don't sweat missing a few questions. Your instructor won't let you take the practical until he/she thinks you're ready.
One thing for sure about the sport pilot knowledge test, you will get questions you have never seen. I have heard everything about odd ball questions on the knowledge test from all the applicants who took it.

Expect helicopter, instrument, airship, it goes on and on. Why, because the question picking system the FAA uses has problems and is not perfect. It also appears that the first questions on the test are the bad ones so if you go into the test and the first three questions are ones you can not answer, have not seen, and will have to guess at, continue on and find the easy questions first.

The good news is that anyone who has followed my advice, use the Sport Pilot Prepware
http://www.ap-stores.com/p-51-prepware- ... tware.aspx

and consistently get 90% on the tests before you take it was passed. The Prepware allows you to get the "on line CFI endorsement" by passing it twice at 80%, but my 90% rule is enough safety factor to make sure you pass it the first time, especially now they have jacked the price up to $150.