LSA training in Central Ky area

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

tech10002

LSA training in Central Ky area

Post by tech10002 »

I've started studying for the sport pilot knowledge test with the King Schools course and am having trouble finding a place to train. Aero Tech in Lexington has an LSA, but they only have one and it's almost impossible to schedule it. I not only want to find a place to train, but I want to find a place to rent an LSA once I finish my license.

Anyone have any ideas where I could at least find one to rent within maybe a 2 hour drive of Lexington, Ky.? That would include the Cincinnati, Oh. and Knoxville, Tn area.
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

Here's the EAA list of SP instructors for Kentucky.

http://www.sportpilot.org/instructors/kentucky_1.html

Good luck in finding instruction. LSA rentals and SP instruction are proving really tough to find, unless you live in one of the rare lucky areas around the USA.

Maybe consider going somewhere that has instruction for a two week "vacation", get the license, and buy your own LSA plane when you get back. I sure can't afford it, but some folks do that.

Tom
tech10002

Post by tech10002 »

Yeah, there seems to be tons of them available in northern Ohio, but that's 5 hours away from me. My dad lives in Houston, and there are some available there, so I might just go visit him for a few weeks to complete my license.

I'd love to be able to buy one, but there's no way I can afford it myself. If I could find a couple other people to go in with me, it might be feasible, though. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in LSAs in my area. It's easy to rent standard category airplanes. They're everywhere and pretty reasonably priced. I'd go ahead and get my private, but I have a couple minor medical issues that will require a special issuance, and I don't want to ground myself permanently if for some reason I end up getting denied in the end.
lopazopy

Post by lopazopy »

I don't have any experience with them, bit Aero-Tech in Lexington offers sport training. Here is their website:

http://www.aerotech.net/Flight_Training ... sport.html
avi8trix

Post by avi8trix »

Gee, I fly at Aero-Tech and don't seem to have any problems scheduling. Yes, the airplane is busy - it's one of the few profitable flight schools - but with 1 to 2 days notice it's always available for me. I suggest that you call Arlynn the Chief Instructor and tell her your situation - she'll help you work things out, what ever the issue is.
lil'sportflier

Post by lil'sportflier »

Before driving 2 hours, you might try calling them (Aero-Tech). They are soooo good at working with me. All the airplanes there get a workout but the people are great. They find solutions to problems for me. By the way, I did no studying but spent one day with Valerie (ground instructor) before taking my Sport Pilot Knowledge Exam and scored a 99%. She's much better than John and Martha!
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

Here is a locator that might be handy. I am getting the LSA schools on here as I get any good recomendations. Please let me know if I am missing any in your area.

http://lsapilot.beasportpilot.com/sport-pilot-locator/
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites