Conflicting 172 Hours for SP Training Credit.

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

kc7rad

Conflicting 172 Hours for SP Training Credit.

Post by kc7rad »

Hi all,

Well, I'm doing it & it isn't easy. The closest SP CFIs with a plane and who are willing to train me is two hours an four hours away. There is also a fellow here in town that may do a little training but not sure yet.

Anyway, I am receiving conflicting information about my 20 training hours in a 172. I accumulated 20 hours in 2001 in a 172 as a PP student. I quit due to finances. One CFI told me that while it will count, I will still need 15 dual and 5 solo hours in the LSA. Another two told me that they will count and the number of needed LSA time will simply be determined by how much skill I retained from my 172 time.

I know YMMV, but what is the thought here?

TIA
-Ken
tadel001

Post by tadel001 »

You can take your training in whatever you like (i.e. Part 23 or LSA). You are only required to take your checkride in an LSA and your are only eligible to solo the aircraft you are qualified for, i.e. medical and sign off for Part 23.

Your 20 hours will count towards your SP ticket. You don't need to duplicate it. However, that doesn't mean you won't when refreshing your skills and adapting to the LSA.
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

Just a procedural question:

If a student is told one thing by one CFI, and another by another CFI, and yet another by another CFI ... how does the student convince all the CFI's to believe something just because it's posted on a web forum?

The web post may be completely correct - but it seems the student is sure caught between a rock and a hard place sometimes, especially in the sport pilot arena.

When I tried to start sport pilot lessons, I was told many wrong things by CFIs. But showing them web posts didn't change a thing, and showing them interpretations of FARs didn't do it either.

argh.
Tom
tadel001

Post by tadel001 »

There are two practical solutions:

1) Call AFS-610 in the FAA. They will tell you the right answer. If the CFI isn't willing to call them, then get a new CFI. A CFI that doesn't want to know the right answer is not a good CFI.

2) Go to a school that has a Sport Pilot Program and knows the regs. (Okay, this one may not be so practical depending on where you live.) We have taken a lot of time to work with very authorities to ensure we have the right answers. We are regularly working with the folks at AFS-610, EAA, FSDO, DPEs, etc...
Skyview Aviation

The official Answer

Post by Skyview Aviation »

The only official answer is the one that your local FSDO gives you, since they're the ones who will ultimately accept or reject your training experience.
Call your local FSDO and ask them; get the name and title of the person who gives you the answer, in case it comes up again.
Craig Vincent
Skyview Aviation, LLC
Tracy Municipal Airport (KTCY)
www.SkyviewAviation.com