DIY "Ground School"

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Moe

DIY "Ground School"

Post by Moe »

I've decided to try self-schooling for SP ground school. Here are the "texts" I've downloaded:

14 CFR parts 1, 61, 67, and 91

From the FAA:
Student Pilot Guide
Aeronautical Information Manual w/Change 1
AC 00-6A, Aviation Weather
How to Obtain a Good Weather Briefing
General Aviation Pilot’s Guide to Preflight Weather Planning, Weather Self-Briefings, and Weather Decision Making
Pilot’s Weight and Balance
Airplane Flying Handbook
Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge
Stall and Spin Training
Student and Sport Pilot Endorsement Guidance
Sport Pilot Knowledge Questions
Computer Testing Supplement for Sport Pilot
Sport Pilot Practical Test Standards

I'm also ordering "The Compleat Taildragger" from Amazon.

Can you think of any I'm missing?

For background, I'm a retired USAF aircraft maintenance officer (T-33, F-101, F-106, and F-15) and in my enlisted years was a ground Nav-Aids technician (LFB, ILS, VOR & TACAN), so I know a little bit about aircraft. My only flying, however was RC models 20 years ago.

Whatcha think?
Moe
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

FAR/AIM
A/FD
Local sectional chart
POH for your plane
Plotter and E6B
Logbook
DPBOHCPA

DIY "Ground School"

Post by DPBOHCPA »

Moe - Great start plus add Jim's suggestions.

Now go out and get a prep book or CD (I just prefer the books - I find it easier than trying to read stuff on the computer screen.)

ASA puts out some nice stuff and my fovorite is the Gliem "Red Books." It'll cost you less than $20; study it for a week or two and go pass your written exam - The sooner the better. You need to know lots of the material you've downloaded to be a safe pilot, but don't go overboard on study materials to pass the written; it just isn't necessary.

As far as other good material (written for private pilot, so not all of it would apply to sport pilots, but) look for the PP manual by William Kirschner and the same by Rod Machado. Both EXCELLENT, thorough manuscripts on becoming a safe, competent pilot.

Good luck & have a blast!!

:D
Thanks!

Doug

"The only thing cars are good for is to get you to where they keep the airplanes!"
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

Doug (or anyone) - a quick followup question.

When Moe's ready to take his written test, does he need to have his logbook (or something) signed off by a cfi?

Back when I took my PPL written, the examiner required a cfi's signature that I was "ready" before I could even register to take the test.

Thanks.
Tom
Jeff Tipton

Written test authorization.

Post by Jeff Tipton »

61.307 What tests do I have to take to obtain a sport pilot certificate?

To obtain a sport pilot certificate, you must pass the following tests:

(a) Knowledge test. You must pass a knowledge test on the applicable aeronautical knowledge areas listed in §61.309. Before you may take the knowledge test for a sport pilot certificate, you must receive a logbook endorsement from the authorized instructor who trained you or reviewed and evaluated your home-study course on the aeronautical knowledge areas listed in §61.309 certifying you are prepared for the test.

Also note that several of the CD training disks will print out the authorization when you have answered all the questions correctly, at least once.
Moe

Post by Moe »

Thanks for the suggestions, all! Keep 'em coming!

Jim, I forgot to mention I have the Cincinnati sectional and TAC on the way. Your other items are on my list for the next order. Thanks! That E6B is pretty cool and compact! I have a plotter for doing nautical chart navigation, where wind and currents/tides must be accounted for in dead-reckoning. I assume it's similar in flying.

Doug, thanks for the references. I'll definitely check them out. Personally, I prefer reading with my MacBook on my lap in the Lazy Boy. I can zoom small text and frequently use the "Find" function to get to material of interest. Different strokes for different folks.

Tom and Jeff, yes, I'm aware I need "permission" from a CFI in the log book to take the computerized knowledge test. Thanks for making that clear.

Question: I see a "FAR/AIM 2008" book available. But from reading elsewhere, I got the idea the FAR is now the relevant sections in the CFR, and I've downloaded the AIM from the FAA. So I'm a bit confused about that. Can anyone clarify?
Moe
Jeff Tipton

Post by Jeff Tipton »

The CFR "Code of Federal Regulations" is the central web site for all federal regulations. The FAR's "Federal Aviation Regulation's are hosted there.

The main advantage to this web site is the regulations are the most current and are fairly easy to search. You will need a hard copy for the check ride.
Moe

Post by Moe »

Thanks, Jeff. That clears it right up.
Moe