My week of flight training - Review of events

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Cluemeister

Re: My week of flight training - Review of events

Post by Cluemeister »

Back a week now, and trying to figure out the exact plan for next phase of training. Contacted a flight school about 45 minutes south, and a longtime CFI is going to take me up in the Skycatcher for a lesson. I would probably like to keep flying up here for the next few months, and then head to Florida for a week to finish up. But that is subject to change.

For those that changed CFI's, did it slow down your training a little, a lot, or not at all?

It appears the Skycatcher has toe brakes versus the hand brake in the P92. For those that have transitioned, am I looking at an easy adjustment, or a frustrating one?
drseti

Post by drseti »

The real issue with the FlySmasher is not the toe brakes per se, as much as it is the catering nose wheel. In other words, the rudder doesn't steer the nose wheel, the brakes do. So, you'll have to learn to do your taxi turns using differential braking. Not inherently harder, just different.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
designrs

Post by designrs »

Re: Changing or Flying with Multiple Instructors

Not necessarily great initially if you want to fast-track your training.
However it does provide perspective as to if you have the right instructor to work best for you.

If you think you found the right instructor to get you to solo, sometimes best to stay with that instructor. After solo, different instructors provide different things. Each one will give you a few different pointers and perspectives, and each will have their own strengths.

Experiencing different planes is cool too. Especially if you are thinking of buying in the not too distant future.
designrs

Post by designrs »

Finding that yellow taxi line with toe-brakes and free-castering nosewheel will be an adventure for your first flight or two! :lol:
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Cluemeister wrote: For those that changed CFI's, did it slow down your training a little, a lot, or not at all?
I was training in an AMD Zodiac for the first 20 hours, then the day I was supposed to solo another renter pranged it hard. That's when I switched to Lockwood to finish. Changed schools, instructors, airplane and type (high wing vs. low wing) all at once.

Once you are flying it's not that hard to change, you just have to get used to a different instructor's temperament and the quirks of the new airplane.

Dr. Paul is dead right about the direct vs castoring steering. After I got my license in all nosewheel steering airplanes, I went for a checkout flight in a Sportcruiser (castoring). OMG, so much harder and I felt like a total newbie. I could have gotten used to it, but not sure I would have ever "liked" it.

Those who fly the Skycatchers regularly like Flocker and SportPilot seem to really like them.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Duplicate post removed.
Last edited by MrMorden on Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

MrMorden wrote:That's a long explanation to say "at neutral trim and proper rotation speed, it should not take much back pressure". :)
+1. Same in the C-162. There is actually a T/O position for trim. Very little back pressure is required at this setting.
Aviation Real Estate Broker
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

OK, went to a local airport for my first lesson since I got back from a week in Florida. Today it was the Skycatcher. Instructor has been instructing since 1980, so got a few years of training under his belt. Laid back, nice demeanor.

We go out and preflight the plane. Similar to the P92 Echo, except 6 places to check fuel, as opposed to one on the P92. Otherwise, a straightforward walk around.

Inside, different story. Glass cockpit! I was happy to train on steam, but one lesson in a glass cockpit, and I'm much happier with that. In one small visual area I have speed, elevation, vertical speed, attitude, rpms, yaw indicator, etc. etc. Very nice. At first I liked the steam gauges in the P92, but I'm sold on glass.

We start to taxi, and I'm struggling with the toe brakes. The P92 had a hand brake, so steering was done with the rudder pedals. In this case, because I'm actually applying brake pressure, it's harder to maintain speed. So I didn't have the alignment problem that I thought I would, I had speed problems. Had to give it a little throttle a few times. Otherwise better than I thought.

The run up is uneventful, except I'm not used to the rpm levels. In the Rotax everything is much higher, run up was to 3800 rpm, I believe 1,700 in the Skycatcher. But the throttle is a lot smoother in the Skycatcher. We finish and get on runway 3 for departure. He has seen my logbook, and knows at 12 hours I have not soloed. But we got centered up, and gave it full throttle. The takeoff seemed a lot easier in the Skycatcher. The back pressure on the stick seemed almost non existent, and the right rudder, although needed, did not feel anywhere near the level of pressure required for the P92. We took off and it was uneventful.

On climbout, the nose seems real high. Not used to that, felt like I could still see out in the P92. We climb up, and fly out for some turns. Turns are fine, and we do some slow flight with flaps down in different positions, and then a stall. The plane kept up until almost exactly 37 knots, and then broke gently. It felt like we were sitting still in the sky.

We flew back to the airport and did some pattern work. First landing was messy, as I am not used to this plane at all. Still seemed to be easier to land than the P92. We did a touch and go, and took off. I believe i controlled the takeoff almost entirely, as he instructed more right rudder, and I didn't feel any pressure from his hands or feet on the stick or pedals. Takeoff was smooth. In addition, the wind was about 6 knots coming down the runway, as opposed to Florida where it was gusty all week.

I did a much better job of keeping parallel to the runway on downwind. Spacing is a little problem sometimes, but I think that will get better with a little more time.

Second pattern around was better, and the turn to final was cleaner. Landing #2 went better than the first, but was still helped by the instructor. I feel like I need to do about 10 in a row and it will come to me.

All in all, a good lesson. 13 hours total in the logbook. Now I have to decide whether to continue up here 2-3 times a week, (it's 50 minutes from my house), and/or go back to Florida for long weekends or another week to complete my certificate.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Cluemeister wrote:Now I have to decide whether to continue up here 2-3 times a week, (it's 50 minutes from my house), and/or go back to Florida for long weekends or another week to complete my certificate.
50 minutes is not that long a ride if you like the airplane and the instructor. Good LSA and instructors are are hard to find! It's much closer and cheaper than repeated trips to Florida. Plus when you are done you will have an airplane nearby that you will be comfortable renting.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

Glad you like the Skycatcher. Soon you'll no doubt discover what an amazing tool that Garmin G300 is. Anyone that gets lost with this should probably stick to a different hobby. And, there are some excellent tutorials on the web for free. Punch NRST, select an airport, enter twice, and follow the magenta line. But you still have to get it back on the ground. Good Luck!
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Nice writeup!

About that steering...

With a free castoring nosewheel, most steering should be done with the rudder. One should only apply a brake to turn after ALL the rudder travel is used and it still isn't enough. That will be true especially at low speeds and in strong crosswinds. Applying differential braking before the rudder is at full deflection is a bad habit and can be hard to break once established. And it's VERY hard on the brakes.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

The more fancy features you have on the glass panel, the more critical it becomes to keep looking outside! Your instructor will be doing you a huge favor if he turns off the EFIS from time to time.

I'm a firm believer in the two lessons a week approach, as opposed to intensive weekends (or even full weeks) followed by several weeks of inactivity. An hour drive to the airport is an opportunity to think about what you're about to do and what questions you want to ask. And that hour drive back home after a lesson let's you replay it on your mind.

Keep up the good work, and please keep posting.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

drseti wrote:I'm a firm believer in the two lessons a week approach, as opposed to intensive weekends (or even full weeks) followed by several weeks of inactivity.
+1. It's all about keeping the muscle memory fresh.
Aviation Real Estate Broker
jetcat3

Post by jetcat3 »

FastEddieB wrote:Nice writeup!

About that steering...

With a free castoring nosewheel, most steering should be done with the rudder. One should only apply a brake to turn after ALL the rudder travel is used and it still isn't enough. That will be true especially at low speeds and in strong crosswinds. Applying differential braking before the rudder is at full deflection is a bad habit and can be hard to break once established. And it's VERY hard on the brakes.
I agree with this statement. Unfortunately, there isn't enough rudder authority to maintain a straight ahead taxi sequence without the use of some form of brake pressure. That's been my experience in flying the Skycatcher this past year. Holding the rudder pedal in full deflection definitely helps though and will be easier on the brakes like you said.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

One tip:

Runways and taxiways are gently "crowned", and you can use that "crown" to help keep the nose from turning by taxiing a bit to one side or the other.

It really works.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]