Ground school

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

JimFixIt

Ground school

Post by JimFixIt »

I'm about 80% finished with my private pilot ground school from Gold Seal, (they don't offer a Sport Pilot version) I'm wondering if I should finish since it's paid for or should I buy a sport pilot specific school? Does anyone know what material specific to the sport pilot test that might not be covered in the PP school?
Thank you for any guidance
Jim
chicagorandy

Re: Ground school

Post by chicagorandy »

If my aging memory serves, It’s all the exact same stuff except you can leave out VOR nav and night flying. Everything else is exactly the same.

But I'll wait to see if anyone can confirm that.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
designrs

Post by designrs »

I agree with chicagorandy. Since you are 80% done with the Private Pilot Ground school, finish that course. You shouldn’t be tested on night flying. Make sure that you are well aware of the Sport Pilot limitations and special endorsements… e.g. Weight, speed, stall speed, altitude, controlled airspace endorsement, etc.

For both the written and oral oral exam, be prepared to explain your Light Sport limitations (day, civil twilight, two person limit, airspeed, weight limits, special endorsements, altitude limits, etc.). Also be prepared to explain your unique equipment… e.g. the Rotax motor cooling system, constant velocity carburetors, ignition system, etc.

Otherwise, by doing the Private Ground school you should be over prepared.

Good luck!
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

You will need an endorsement for the sport pilot knowledge test. The private pilot endorsement that you will get with your package will not work. I would suggest once you have completed the course get together with an instructor and go over the differences in the knowledge test and get a sign off from the instructor.
JimFixIt

Post by JimFixIt »

Thank you.
Stroid

Post by Stroid »

Jim, when you finish your private schooling, you can send me a copy of your passing certificate and give me a phone call. Over the phone, explain sport pilot privileges and limitations to me and I will send you an endorsement for the sport knowledge exam. All free of charge, just happy to help you out.

Isaac
564-201-8109