IACRA Application

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

foresterpoole

IACRA Application

Post by foresterpoole »

OK, well here is my current situation: got on IACRA and filled out my IACRA 8710 on 4/15, CFI at the time (he subsequently quit and works out of town) signed off and I scheduled my checkride, the day came and it was lousy weather, no chance to get off the ground VFR. We rescheduled for two weeks later, as if my luck is nothing but bad I got a call from the FBO confirming my fear that the plane was due for a 2000 hour TBO and it had reached that point. called the DPE back and explained the situation, he seemed OK with the situation (not like he or I had a choice), unfortunately that's the only light sport in the state to rent so I have been waiting out the engine change. It's now 30 days since the CFI signed off on the IACRA form and no word on when the plane will have an engine again, it's also been over 30 days since I last flew. Correct me if I'm wrong but IACRA 8710's expire after 60 days? At that point I'll need to reapply using a different CFI (since mine quit) and I still have to fly a minimum 2 hours within 30 days of the checkride... :cry:
Ed
pjdavis

Re: IACRA Application

Post by pjdavis »

This may be a dumb question, but do you have to do your check ride in a LSA?
RTK

Post by RTK »

Hi Ed,

I believe you are correct - you have two months to complete the checkride. Note that if you're pursuing the Sport Pilot Certificate, you'll need to fill out the 8710-11 form.

Are you flying with Flightline Air Service in Pineville, LA? They have a Tecnam P92 listed on their website for rent. Otherwise I know it's a trek, but perhaps another flight school out of state (Texas?) that may be able to help you transition/train in their aircraft for a 4 - 5 hours and let you use their aircraft for the checkride?
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

PJ, yes as I understand it it has to be an LSA for the sport pilot checkride. RTK, yes I'm flying out of Pineville with Flightline. They are good folks and the P-92 they have is nice, I'm just hitting a streak of bad luck it appears. I have considered going to Florida, my wife's family is down in Orlando and Melbourne so I'd have a free place to stay and I don't need an excuse with my wife since she can tag along. I think HalfFast did his in a week down there. I'm hoping the Tecnam is ready soon....
Ed
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Looking back at your other post IIRC your application was signed on April 15th. This means you would have until June 14th before it is no longer valid. Your 2 hours of training in prep for the checkride must have been within the 2 calendar months from the date you take the checkride. This means that if you take the checkride on June 14th your 2 hours of training would have to been done on or after April 1st. Also you would want to make sure your 90 day solo endorsement is still valid. It would have needed to be done on March 16th or after.
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

The Florida option sounds really good.....I hear there are some terrific schools there that could zero in on your needs and get it done in short order.
I, too, have experienced the frustration of trying (for 3 years now) to get this done. Y'know, the reason I chose Sport Pilot in the first place was because everybody (FAA included) made it sound so simple. :lol:
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

I''ll resurrect this thread for a brief update. They finally got the engine back into the plane last week and I was able to fly. It had been almost two months since weather, flight instructor availability (mine quit), and the engine overhaul put me out of action. Right now I'm back flying with a brand new CFI and a new engine in the plane (runs a lot smoother, nice guy and seems easy to talk to, he is a rookie CFI. So far we have done most everything on the PTS and I've got some rust to knock off but going well overall. Passed crosswinds up to 15 kts, stalls, short-field and soft-field. My turns around a point and S-turns lack a bit right now so I'm concentrating on them (they used to be the easiest things I did). After we discussed things he thinks another 2-6 hours including a ground school refresher should be more than enough to get a check ride scheduled with a sign-off from him. I would be his first student to checkride and I think he wants me to be as close to perfect as possible so he gets a good name (can't blame him). He also wants to get me a sign off for tower controlled airspace as well, which I think would be a good idea and planned to do after the checkride. We shall see...
Ed
joey4420

Post by joey4420 »

Tower controlled airspace would be a plus, but 2-6 hours? Almost sounds like he is trying to milk you a little. If you were already to the point of a checkride 2 months ago, unless you forgot a lot, 2 hours should do it.

As far as the airspace signoff that can take a few hours so that would be the 6 total.
Joey
Cincinnati OH
Sport Pilot
Double Eagle N35DE
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I think his CFI is in the best position to judge this. I doubt he is milking anything.
Retired from flying.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

TimTaylor wrote:I think his CFI is in the best position to judge this. I doubt he is milking anything.
For a new CFI where does the experience come from to make the judgement? I also doubt he is intentionally milking the time, but new CFI's are often overly cautious. Not that being overly cautious is a bad thing.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I knew when my first student was ready. Didn't you? If he can't make that judgement, he shouldn't have passed his CFI. He said 2-6 hours. I suspect that's correct. What is your problem, anyway? It's getting old. Did some 3 weeks new Sport Pilot who never flew with your first student know better than you when he was ready for his checkride?
Retired from flying.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

TimTaylor wrote:I knew when my first student was ready. Didn't you? If he can't make that judgement, he shouldn't have passed his CFI. He said 2-6 hours. I suspect that's correct. What is your problem, anyway? It's getting old. Did some 3 weeks new Sport Pilot who never flew with your first student know better than you when he was ready for his checkride?
To be honest I don't remember my first student. I have had quite a few in the past 25 years. I do know all of my students have passed their checkride on the first attempt.

Anyway I don't have a problem. I was just passing along my observations of young CFI's over the past 20 years.

How can it be getting old? I think that is the first time I have ever quoted you. :roll:
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

joey4420 wrote:Tower controlled airspace would be a plus, but 2-6 hours? Almost sounds like he is trying to milk you a little. If you were already to the point of a checkride 2 months ago, unless you forgot a lot, 2 hours should do it.

As far as the airspace signoff that can take a few hours so that would be the 6 total.
Well, not be controversial, and having myself enjoyed too many setbacks on this (as yet) unsuccessful journey, I think you've got a winner. Only 6 hours including ground refresher, mock oral, and maybe a pre-test check ride sounds pretty good. Every time I started with a new instructor, it was back to square one. Never knew how many different ways there could be to accomplish the same thing. As far as Class D, I can't guess how much time that may take; that's just about all I've flown in (I won't go near B or C). The radio use and the jargon takes a little practice, which is all over the internet and easy to practice at home. On the plus side, it is nice to know Big Brother is watching my back!
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

Thanks to Tropical Storm Cindy I was sidelined yesterday so I sat for a 2 hour oral practice exam. The first hour or so was sport pilot the second part he covered the private pilot material that sport does not cover (so the added info for radio/tower communications, night flying, airspace regs, etc.). He said I passed both, and another CFI that joined us later for fun agreed. This makes sense since my ground school was taught by my friend for free who is a CFI, but only instructs instrument and basically made me learn everything because I eventually wanted to go private anyway.

With all that said, now I've got a bit of a conundrum. It appears I've got my oral exam for private A-OK. My hours are such that I'm within striking distance of a private, all I would need would be night flying (3 hours), instrument training (3 hours), 3 hours of solo X-Country and 1 hour of X-country training (I already flew the Sport version), and the 3 takeoffs and landings at a towered airport which I wanted anyway. My total hours would be a little over the minimum for private, but not more than 65 total. I would have to get a medical, and switch back to a 172 (I flew a few hours when I first started in one) which could burn a few hours as well. What is the groups thoughts, should I just finish out sport or just spend the extra and go for private????
Ed
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

That depends on what kind of flying you want to do and are you confident you can pass a 3rd class medical. Remember, if you flunk it, you are done. Personally, if I knew I could pass the physical, I would go for a Private. Also, if you're in a hurry to start flying on your own and/or with a passenger, you can always do both, Sport now and Private later.
Retired from flying.