Frequency Change Scenario

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

MrLupin

Frequency Change Scenario

Post by MrLupin »

Holding short of the active runway, performing run-up and Tower announces that ATIS information has just changed from bravo to charlie. Should you request a frequency change to review the new information? My understanding is that you can not just make the frequency change without approval. Thanks!
Merlinspop

Re: Frequency Change Scenario

Post by Merlinspop »

First, if your radio stack offers the capability of monitoring a second frequency/radio, then it's a no-brainer. I assume that's not the case for you.

Secondly, usually the tower will provide the highlights of the new ATIS information (winds, altimeter).

Lastly, if you haven't already 'checked in' with the tower that you're ready to depart, you were last with Ground. If that's the case, give them a quick call and tell them you want to switch to ATIS. When you call Tower, tell them you have Charlie, or that you need a minute to grab it. If it's a busy field, I'd call Ground from the back of the run up pad and ask to get the new ATIS. If it's slow or I'd already finished my run up, I'd call Tower (before moving up to the hold short line) and tell them you need to switch for a minute to grab ATIS.
- Bruce
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

As CTLSi said, if you are truly holding short at the line, ready to go, Tower will tell you what you need. Be flexible, communicate clearly.
- Bruce
MrLupin

Post by MrLupin »

Thank you all. Very helpful answers.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

If the weather looks the same you could just ask the tower for a wind check when they clear you for takeoff.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA