First solo after big disappointment

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

drseti

Post by drseti »

After. So, if you want a particular shirt cut and you think you are approaching solo, have it in the plane with you (or wear it for every lesson -- ugh!) When the instructor tells you to shut down on the ramp, and gets out, quicky change into your "solo shirt" before you start up again.

Business opportunity: After cutting the back off a new solo pilot's shirt, I have t-shirts (with the flight school logo) for sale, so they don't have to go home half naked!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
NismoRR

Post by NismoRR »

N918KT wrote:So does the CFI usually cut the shirt before or after you make your first solo?
After, and he took tremendous joy in cutting the whole thing off! I was pretty happy as well. :wink:
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

i see.
NismoRR

Post by NismoRR »

drseti wrote:Business opportunity: After cutting the back off a new solo pilot's shirt, I have t-shirts (with the flight school logo) for sale, so they don't have to go home half naked!
Not necessary. :lol: I went to lunch afterwards without the back of the t-shirt 8) One guy even asked if I just solo'd and we talked for a little while. He was a pilot and got a kick out of seeing my shirt. It so happens that they cut a t-shirt they gave me the previous week with the flight school logo on it. After the previous day's disaster lesson, I didn't think there was any way I was going to solo that day. Now they have to give me a new one! Ha!

BTW, here's a link to the video the CFI took of the landing.

http://cid-cf7f1cd2899c72b3.office.live ... anding.AVI
tu16

Post by tu16 »

NismoRR wrote: BTW, here's a link to the video the CFI took of the landing.
http://cid-cf7f1cd2899c72b3.office.live ... anding.AVI
Congrats! Too bad there was not a zoom on the camera to pick on your flair :) But it seems there's a nice squeaky sound of what maybe was a nice greased landing... :)

And sound of crickets in a background before landing? Priceless!...

(At least from the point of view of someone who still spends his flying hours this year tossed around in 48F gusty winds across runway under gray low ceilings with hanging scuds of incessant drizzles for months :) Seattlites do not tan - they RUST! :) )
jeepinbanditrider

Post by jeepinbanditrider »

NismoRR wrote:
jeepinbanditrider wrote:Note to self always pack extra shirt :shock: lol.
Make another note to self, at least at my flight school...They would only cut the shirt you are wearing during the solo. Last week, a guy solo'd and had a packed shirt he wanted them to cut. No way! They said they will cut it the next time he solos, as long as he's wearing it. :o
I meant pack a shirt to change into afterwards lol. The shirt tail shirt may get framed :D
ArionAv8or

Post by ArionAv8or »

jeepinbanditrider wrote:I meant pack a shirt to change into afterwards lol. The shirt tail shirt may get framed :D
Mine got framed! But no need to bring a spare shirt, the flight school where I trained gives the new solo pilot a free t-shirt (with logo of course) to wear after his solo ride so your shirt tale can stay for a few days to get all it's congratulatory drawings, signatures and cartoons, etc... drawn on it.