GA hospitality (that's both General Aviation and Georgia!)

Sport Pilot Talk is a close-knit community of mutually supportive pilots, who often help each other out with various resources and hospitality. Are you going somewhere and want to meet up with other Sport Pilot Talk members? Do you have hangar space, fuel, tools, or a guest room to share? Or, are you hoping a fellow member can offer you similar support or assistance? Here is the place to post your offers or requests (on a strictly non-commercial basis).

Moderator: drseti

drseti

GA hospitality (that's both General Aviation and Georgia!)

Post by drseti »

Flying from Gainesville FL toward PA yesterday, I happened to make an unplanned stop in Reidsville GA, due to high winds and turbulence. The terminal building was abandoned, and closed - but there was a numeric cipher lock on the door. I punched in the CTAF frequency, and the door opened. Inside, I spied a collection of first solo shirt-tails hung out for all to see. Having nothing better to do while waiting for the winds to abate, I started reading the shirts - and recognized the name of Parker, a member of this community, who had soloed a PiperSport there four years or so ago.

It happens that I had Parker's phone number in my smartphone, since I had done a prebuy examination for him on an Evektor he ultimately bought. Bear in mind that I hadn't known he lived in this small town, and had no idea if his plane was based here - but I rang him up anyway. He drove out to the airport to meet me, we chatted a while, and as the winds picked up he offered me a hangar and helped me put the plane away for the night. We admired each other's airplanes (his was just a couple of hangars down the row from where he parked me). He then lent me a car. As the weather wasn't improving, I accepted his kind offer, found myself a motel room, and later that evening we had a pleasant dinner together. (It being Cinco de Mayo, we opted for Mexican.)

This morning, I left his car and key in the designated location, and flew North. (Wx is still crappy - I only made it as far as Fayetville NC.)

Isn't GA hospitality amazing? (Both General Aviation and Georgia!)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Flocker

Re: GA hospitality (that's both General Aviation and Georgia

Post by Flocker »

drseti wrote:Isn't GA hospitality amazing? (Both General Aviation and Georgia!)
++1
Aviation Real Estate Broker
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

drseti wrote:Flying from Gainesville FL toward PA yesterday, I happened to make an unplanned stop in Reidsville GA, due to high winds and turbulence. The terminal building was abandoned, and closed - but there was a numeric cipher lock on the door. I punched in the CTAF frequency, and the door opened. Inside, I spied a collection of first solo shirt-tails hung out for all to see. Having nothing better to do while waiting for the winds to abate, I started reading the shirts - and recognized the name of Parker, a member of this community, who had soloed a PiperSport there four years or so ago.

It happens that I had Parker's phone number in my smartphone, since I had done a prebuy examination for him on an Evektor he ultimately bought. Bear in mind that I hadn't known he lived in this small town, and had no idea if his plane was based here - but I rang him up anyway. He drove out to the airport to meet me, we chatted a while, and as the winds picked up he offered me a hangar and helped me put the plane away for the night. We admired each other's airplanes (his was just a couple of hangars down the row from where he parked me). He then lent me a car. As the weather wasn't improving, I accepted his kind offer, found myself a motel room, and later that evening we had a pleasant dinner together. (It being Cinco de Mayo, we opted for Mexican.)

This morning, I left his car and key in the designated location, and flew North. (Wx is still crappy - I only made it as far as Fayetville NC.)

Isn't GA hospitality amazing? (Both General Aviation and Georgia!)
Yes it is.
That was a wonderful little story. Thanks for sharing it.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
RTC'83

Post by RTC'83 »

Ever in the DFW area you'll can expect the same.
RTC’83
Sport Pilot
FrankR

Post by FrankR »

drseti wrote:I only made it as far as Fayetville NC.
And my phone didn't ring...
Frank
Fayetteville, NC
drseti

Post by drseti »

That's because I don't have your number, Frank. I'll be at Signature Aviation at 7 AM, with a planned 8 AM takeoff, if you'd care to stop by and see the plane.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Parker

Post by Parker »

It certainly wasn't an ill wind that blew you into Reidsville (maybe that is a matter of perspective). I was surprised and delighted to hear that you were at our airport. I enjoyed our visit and the sharing of all things flying and university professing (not to be construed as confessing).

To say that I admired your plane is taking "admire" to a new level. It was more like covet.

I'm looking forward to your next visit, and I welcome any others on this board stopping by, and staying awhile. As people around here say, "Ya'll come."

And speaking of coming, the Reidsville Airport Authority is sponsoring a flyin and canoe the Ohoopee River (which curls around the airport) this next Saturday, May 14. If anyone is interested in the details send me an email.