Pole Barn progress!

Here's the place for you to post videos and photos of your favorite airplane or most interesting flight. Commercial posts should go instead into the Want Ads forum.

Moderator: drseti

drseti

Re: Pole Barn progress!

Post by drseti »

Eddie, I especially like that you don't allow your contractors to stand on their heads and smoke.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

drseti wrote:Eddie, I especially like that you don't allow your contractors to stand on their heads and smoke.
It was a carefully negotiated compromise!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

HAPPYDAN wrote:
FastEddieB wrote:
Jim Hardin wrote:Curious?

You used copper water lines. Why not PVC?
Most of the water lines are blue and red plastic - I forget the name. For some reason, many terminate with copper fittings - see the water heater above for an example.

I really had no input and trusted the plumbing subcontractor to make the right choices.
Those blue and red plastic pipes are really neat. Clearly defines hot and cold, but - as I found out the hard way, when a water pipe at my Cascades cabin froze and burst - this new stuff won't do that. So, If the power goes off during a winter storm (imagine that?), you won't have that problem to worry about.
The red and blue piping is called PEX, it is an acronym for cross linked polyethylene. The copper to you see are just flexible supply lines so you can change out the water heater faster (and bend it to fit if the replacement tank is a different size), most fittings are still designed for copper and will remain so for the foreseeable future, so terminal ends will be copper. PEX is super easy to run through walls, needs no soder joints, or pesky cleaner/glue like PVC. While highly burst resistant, it's still possible to bust PEX if it freezes solid with back pressure. It's a bit more expensive than PVC, but because it is easier to work with from a rough in stand point it's about the same price install wise.

Just FYI if you even see that grey plastic stuff, RUN AWAY it's horrible, I spent many an hour pulling it out of houses.
Ed
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

As an aside, we were trying to track down a water leak in the kitchen wall. After trying to chase down where it might be intruding from the outside, it dawned on us it might be a plumbing problem. Sure enough, when we turned off the water main the leak stopped.

Long story short - drywall screws can easily defeat PEX!

This was a line running to one of the two outside spigots.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

foresterpoole wrote:
HAPPYDAN wrote:
FastEddieB wrote:
Just FYI if you even see that grey plastic stuff, RUN AWAY it's horrible, I spent many an hour pulling it out of houses.
Oh, yeah! I lived in a rental that had that stuff. It failed. It's amazing how much water can come out of a 1/2in open pipe in a few seconds. It happened during a winter storm so my wife and I were both home from work. I hate to think what would have happed if we weren't home. Not my house, but it was full of my stuff and living in a house while all the pluming is being replaced is well beyond inconvenient. Copper replacement. Very loud compared to plastic. I would have preferred PEX.

Eddie, I haven't commented on your project yet. I looks terrific. Congratulations.

Ron
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

FastEddieB wrote:As an aside, we were trying to track down a water leak in the kitchen wall. After trying to chase down where it might be intruding from the outside, it dawned on us it might be a plumbing problem. Sure enough, when we turned off the water main the leak stopped.

Maybe introduce your general contractor to "nail plates". Had they been installed this would have never happened. Just food for thought. :mrgreen:

Glad you are making more progress on your dream home.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Thanks!

We finally feel we're in the home stretch!

1) We got back from a FL trip for my daughter's wedding to find the meter had been moved from the temp pole to the house. That means we have power! All the myriad switched and fixtures seem to work, as do the garage and bifold doors. Huge hurdle passed!

2) Karen said as of yesterday we have air conditioning!

3) Granite is ready to go in the kitchen later this week.

4) Shower glass has been ordered and is 2 or 3 weeks out. Ordered from a member here, BTW!

Now working on some more grading and graveling and seeding and drainage paths outside. Plumbing needs to be finished up with toilets and vanity tops and sinks and stuff to be hooked up. But it does feel like the end is in site.

As an aside, Karen is suggesting Sept 22 as a "hold that date" for a housewarming, if anyone cares to attend. Details to follow.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

FastEddieB wrote:As an aside, we were trying to track down a water leak in the kitchen wall. After trying to chase down where it might be intruding from the outside, it dawned on us it might be a plumbing problem. Sure enough, when we turned off the water main the leak stopped.

This was a line running to one of the two outside spigots.
I'll second nail plates, with PEX it's harder because it can flex and get out of place. It sounds like someone missed the stud...
Ed
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

With hot and cold running water, air conditioning and power, it’s starting to feel like home...

With luck, Certificate of Occupancy in a week or two!

That red plane is a Titan Tornado. My friend, Alan, bases it at Big T Airport as well. Cool plane that he brought back from the dead, so to speak. He'll be going for his private license in another week or two.

Have about another hour or two to finish the Annual Condition Inspection on my Sky Arrow. I haven't flown it in almost 4 months due to some minor hand/elbow surgery, followed by the annual expiring at the end of July. I'm REALLY eager to fly it again to what will be its home away from home as well!
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Karen's really proud of the shower she came up with:

Pretty fancy for a "pole barn" - and supplied by a member of this forum!
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Might as well since the Pole Barn itself is pretty darn fancy for a pole barn ..
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
RTK

Post by RTK »

Looking awesome, FastEddieB! What’s left to be done that the Certificate of Occupance will take 2 weeks? You’ve got hot and cold water, electricity, AC and an awesome bathroom. Seems like it’s just about time to move in! :wink:
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

RTK wrote:Looking awesome, FastEddieB!
Thanks! It’s been very much a team effort!
What’s left to be done that the Certificate of Occupance will take 2 weeks? You’ve got hot and cold water, electricity, AC and an awesome bathroom. Seems like it’s just about time to move in! :wink:
Just one more trip from the plumber to hook up the sink, garbage disposal, washing machine, and a general cleanup.

Beyond that, I think we’re good!
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

The place looks awesome Eddie! I'd gladly trade you my shower for yours in your pole barn!
Ed
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Glad to be “back in the saddle!” I had not flown my Sky Arrow in over 3 months, first recovering from minor hand/arm surgery, then needing to finish up my Annual Condition Inspection which expired the end of July. Monday I wrapped up the Annual and did the test flight. Yesterday flew up to our Tennessee home in progress and back. Felt great!

Headed home (short takeoff video):

https://youtu.be/atdp0KpWLI4

Granite countertops should be finishing up today. Final Inspection and Certificate of Occupancy should be right around the corner!
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]