CH47 Chinook firefighter

Here's the place for you to post videos and photos of your favorite airplane or most interesting flight. Commercial posts should go instead into the Want Ads forum.

Moderator: drseti

hirschr

CH47 Chinook firefighter

Post by hirschr »

I caught the Athens TN, 5th Saturday fly in breakfast over the weekend and this bad boy was on the ramp! I had no idea that these big birds were re-purposed for firefighting. The Columbia crew gave us in impromptu tour and even let us sit in the cockpit. It has a 2800 gal internal tank that it can fill from a drop tube in about 4 minutes. They contract with the forest service and are in the area for the fires near Ocoee filling from Parksville lake. Impressive to say the least!
ch47-3.JPG
ch47-3.JPG (116.35 KiB) Viewed 9511 times
ch47-1.JPG
ch47-1.JPG (126.15 KiB) Viewed 9511 times
ch47-2.JPG
ch47-2.JPG (121.12 KiB) Viewed 9511 times
foresterpoole

Re: CH47 Chinook firefighter

Post by foresterpoole »

Those things are awesome, a lot better in my opinion than the single engine air tankers some states use. Not to knock the SEATS, but the chopper can drop more retardant/water than a SEAT can and I find they can do it accurately. Just my 2 cents, I worked a few fires with the state of Arkansas, and now I'm in private forestry, it was always an awesome sight watching them drop. Get downwind of one with a full load of retardant (red stuff) and you might look like a cherry though!!!
Ed