First landing at a friend's grass strip in TN

Here's the place for you to post videos and photos of your favorite airplane or most interesting flight. Commercial posts should go instead into the Want Ads forum.

Moderator: drseti

FastEddieB

First landing at a friend's grass strip in TN

Post by FastEddieB »

A new friend invited me to fly into his grass strip near Lenoir City, TN. Gorgeous day today, so I did!

On the first pattern I crowded my base leg and totally lost the airport. Once I picked it up, I considered for a few seconds trying to save it, but thought better of it and went around. Next pattern I went a bit wider and it worked out. Later I had a bit of a surprise on my takeoff - first time that's happened!

https://youtu.be/imlMUEf7ekU
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Flocker

Re: First landing at a friend's grass strip in TN

Post by Flocker »

Great video Eddie! Thanks for posting.
Aviation Real Estate Broker
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

That looks short and narrow!

Well done!
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Flocker wrote:Great video Eddie! Thanks for posting.
Cluemeister wrote:That looks short and narrow!

Well done!
Thanks!

It's actually listed as 1,700' x 100', though the owner says altogether it's about 2,000'.

From the ground it looks quite long - but from the air more like a postage stamp!

Still a little nerve wracking first time into a field like that.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

What is that in your panel, Eddie, a GPSDROP-396?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

drseti wrote:What is that in your panel, Eddie, a GPSDROP-396?
No, the latest GPSDROP-496!

Seriously, my ignition is controlled by two toggle switches. Fortunately - and presciently - they are the kind you have to pull out slightly to throw. Otherwise can you imagine that 496 knocking off both ignitions switches at exactly the wrong time?

My 496 has never fit snugly into that AirGizmo dock - it seems like some of the wires keep it from clicking into place on both sides at the same time. I guess I just have to futz with it some more, and maybe introduce it to Mr. Dremel! Or maybe a couple latches I can rotate to hold it in place regardless.

One other takeaway - in my heart of hearts I know the proper thing to have done would have been to abort the takeoff. It's just so damn hard to do once I'm in the process of taking off. Strong psychological compunction that I've seen in me before.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

FastEddieB wrote:
drseti wrote:What is that in your panel, Eddie, a GPSDROP-396?
One other takeaway - in my heart of hearts I know the proper thing to have done would have been to abort the takeoff. It's just so damn hard to do once I'm in the process of taking off. Strong psychological compunction that I've seen in me before.
Not necessarily Eddie. Under those same circumstances, I would have done the same thing.
A slow speed abort may have been fine, but high speed aborts, in my humble opinion, should only be done for a few reasons, i.e. engine failure, flight control malfunction or wind shear.
It has been proven that most of the time, excluding things I previously mentioned, it is better to continue the takeoff, fly the pattern and make a normal landing, on a suitable runway (considering best winds), under more stable and SLOW conditions, rather than perform a high speed abort.

That sod field was pretty narrow, airplane performance appeared normal, and the GPS was only a minor distraction.
You made a good call by continuing your takeoff.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Wm.Ince wrote:Not necessarily Eddie. Under those same circumstances, I would have done the same thing.
A slow speed abort may have been fine, but high speed aborts, in my humble opinion, should only be done for a few reasons, i.e. engine failure, flight control malfunction or wind shear.
It has been proven that most of the time, excluding things I previously mentioned, it is better to continue the takeoff, fly the pattern and make a normal landing, on a suitable runway (considering best winds), under more stable and SLOW conditions, rather than perform a high speed abort.

That sod field was pretty narrow, airplane performance appeared normal, and the GPS was only a minor distraction.
You made a good call by continuing your takeoff.
Good points all.

Looks like I was just going through 30kias when the GPS popped out:

Stopping on the remaining runway should have been easy.

The reasoning behind my navel-gazing introspection is not so much whether I made the right decision, but that I was so locked into the takeoff I don't recall any conscious decision being made - and that part isn't good.

I think I've mentioned one other case like this. A mechanic had just done some minor work on my ROTAX and wanted to fly along for the first flight out of Dahlonega. He was going to make the radio calls, but seemingly the PTT on the front of his stick wasn't keying the mic. So I made the call and began the takeoff roll. When I went to rotate it took MUCH more back pressure than normal, and I quickly thought about the extra weight, but weight in the back should mean less pressure, not more, but regardless, it was damn the torpedoes and I pulled the plane into the air. In this case definitely the wrong "choice", but again I don't recall consciously weighing options, which is not good.

Oh, and what was wrong? On my side sticks the trim buttons are on the top and the PTT on the top front. I had already done my Before Takeoff checklist and checked the trim indication, but my mechanic friend was repeatedly hitting the button for nose down trim thinking it was the PTT as he was trying to transmit.

Amazing how the little things can get you - radios coming adrift, wrong button pressed, IR goggle case blocking the controls, that sort of thing. I guess that's why attention to detail and SOP's and checklists are so important - and even those won't save you every time.
Last edited by FastEddieB on Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

FastEddieB wrote:Amazing how the little things can get you - radios coming adrift, wrong button pressed, IR goggle case blocking the controls, that sort of thing. I guess that's why attention to detail and SOP's and checklists are so important - and even those won't save you every time.
Totally concur. Been there . . done that . . more than once.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator