Prof: New Plane?

Here's the place for you to post videos and photos of your favorite airplane or most interesting flight. Commercial posts should go instead into the Want Ads forum.

Moderator: drseti

Wm.Ince

Re: Prof: New Plane?

Post by Wm.Ince »

3Dreaming wrote:I have seen minimal issues related to flight training in the aircraft. That being said I am the owner of the airplane, the instructor, and the maintenance provider for the airplane. I think this makes a big difference in how the airplanes are treated. In my opinion if you don't have well qualified instructors who take a keen interest in the aircraft owned by the school you will have problems, and aircraft type has nothing to do with it.
Good points and I agree also.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
drseti

Post by drseti »

CTLSi wrote:Given the Sportstar has a 46 inch wide cabin versus the RV12 43 inch wide cabin, the comfort is better.
It's true that the SportStar cabin is 3 inches wider than the RV12, but I've flown them both, and personally can't find any difference in comfort.
The two low wing planes also use vernier throttle and choke controls.
The SportStar throttle is vernier (with an override button for quick application and reduction of power when required), but the choke is a straightforward push-pull knob.
the Sportstar has very sparse avionics while the RV12 can be ordered with Dynon and Garmin touch glass.
In fact, my SportStar's avionics is anything but sparse. Take a look at the panel photo two pages back in this thread. Dual Dynon Skyviews (SV-D1000 and SV-D700 with Dynon autopilot, dual ADAHRS, dual backup batteries); SL-30 nav/com/gs/loc with digital RMI and mechanical CDI as well as electronic HSI in the Skyviews; Mode S transponder and 406 ELT; stereo intercom; GPSmap 496 with XM radio and wx.
The Sportstar can also be purchased with the all-plane chute, the RV12 lacks that critical feature.
It's true that the BRS is an available option on the SportStar, although mine doesn't have it.

You missed the most significant difference between the SportStar and the RV12. The former has two wing tanks with >31 gal fuel capacity, while the latter has a single 20 gallon tank in the baggage compartment.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

Nomore767 wrote:Paul, I'm intrigued, what is the material on the canopy which looks to be a permanent sunshade? Is it attached to the canopy itself?
It is indeed a permanent sunshade, composite over perspex both inside and out. I actually preferred the previous SportStar's retractable Kogan sunshade, but this is what this plane came with.
it looks nice and appears to do a good job
It does look nice, works well, and can generally be seen around when necessary (but can't be pulled back for a clear view of the sky when desired).
Did you choose the SportStar because of your experience with the last one you had or did you look at other models before you made your decision.
I did fly several other aircraft (including the Bristell, which I would have loved for a personal aircraft), but the SportStar is far more practical in a flight school environment. And yes, I did have a very good experience with the previous SportStar over the previous 5 1/2 years.
How did the weight come in and how do you operate in training regards empty weight, fuel and student weights?
The new one actually weighed 1 pound less than the old one, when first I acquired it. I've added 12 pounds with my various mods. Still, empty weight is under 780, giving me 540 useful load and greater than 350 payload. I normally run it in flight training with a 170 pound CFI (me), 20 gallons (120 pounds, good for 4 hours with zero reserve) of fuel, and up to 250 pounds of student. That still leaves 50 pounds for baggage (not that I need to carry much more than emergency equipment when training).
I did some training at a school that had an all FD CTLS fleet and though I liked the plane it didn't seem to be holding up well in the training environment.

My previous SportStar held up quite well in the training environment, but as Tom pointed out, when you're the owner, mechanic, and CFI, you tend to teach your students to treat the aircraft with the respect it's due.
Are you using 100LL with an additive or can you get a good supply of suitable MoGas?
I use 100LL (can't get mogas without ethanol, and I chose not to put solvents in my tank!) but am not using tri-chloro phosphate, because of its corrosive effect on exhaust systems. I do double up on oil changes and gearbox inspections.
Wish you a lot of luck with the new airplane!
Thanks, Howard.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US