Prof: New Plane?

Here's the place for you to post videos and photos of your favorite airplane or most interesting flight. Commercial posts should go instead into the Want Ads forum.

Moderator: drseti

AJChenMPH

Prof: New Plane?

Post by AJChenMPH »

C'mon, Paul...you know you're dying to post pics of the new bird. :mrgreen:
Andy / PP-ASEL
drseti

Re: Prof: New Plane?

Post by drseti »

Soon, Andy! I did the prebut and test flight yesterday, but don't take delivery for a week or two. Found some minor squawks which the seller has agreed to clear first. But, here's a pic of how it looked at the Evektor display at Expo in January:
905SM-at-Evektor-Booth.jpg
905SM-at-Evektor-Booth.jpg (479.72 KiB) Viewed 6925 times
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Nice looking plane!

Just curious -- is the canopy just painted on the top for shade or is there structure added?
dave
drseti

Post by drseti »

It appears to be structural composite.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
David

Post by David »

very nice :D

How about a shake out flight to ME and visit
David
EAA 1250 KPTW PA
RV12 EAB - Maiden flight 8/30/12
David's RV12 http://www.rv12pilot.com
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Pretty!
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
drseti

Post by drseti »

David, would be much more convenient if you were still in Pottstown.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

Andy, since you asked:

At New Carlisle, Ohio (3OH0) Monday evening, instructor Scott rode along with Paul on a test flight of the new SportStar Max. Watch this space for reports of AvSport taking delivery in the near future.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

Yes! Paul's guitar DOES fit in the baggage compartment of the new SportStar!

Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
David

Post by David »

drseti wrote:David, would be much more convenient if you were still in Pottstown.
Yes that is true, but the lobster is great up here!
Last edited by David on Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
David
EAA 1250 KPTW PA
RV12 EAB - Maiden flight 8/30/12
David's RV12 http://www.rv12pilot.com
BrianL99

Post by BrianL99 »

I have to ask the obvious question.

Evektor has a reputation as being the LSA most likely to be involved in an accident.

Why an Evektor, Paul?
drseti

Post by drseti »

The accident reputation comes from it having been the very first SLSA, thus the first one widely imported (100 in the first couple of years) and the first widely used in flight schools. The industry was in its infancy then, and training accidents were common. (Fortunately, most were run-off-the-runway non injury accidents) . I think we CFIs have learned a few things during the past 10 years - especially those of us who specialize in LSA training.
My experience using a SportStar as a primary trainer for 5 1/2 years has been very positive, with no mishaps.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:The accident reputation comes from it having been the very first SLSA, thus the first one widely imported (100 in the first couple of years) and the first widely used in flight schools. The industry was in its infancy then, and training accidents were common. (Fortunately, most were run-off-the-runway non injury accidents) . I think we CFIs have learned a few things during the past 10 years - especially those of us who specialize in LSA training.
My experience using a SportStar as a primary trainer for 5 1/2 years has been very positive, with no mishaps.
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the Evektor being first merely a formality with a handful of aircraft receiving approval in the same ceremony?
drseti

Post by drseti »

No, Evektor was first because they took an existing EASA microlite design (that predated the US LSA standard but was almost compliant), tweaked the specs on paper to meet the US limitations, and started importing it while the competition was still working on clean sheet designs for the US market.

Some of the other aircraft existed on paper and as prototypes, while Evektor was already shipping SportStars which were essentially tweaked EuroStars.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:No, Evektor was first because they took an existing EASA microlite design (that predated the US LSA standard but was almost compliant), tweaked the specs on paper to meet the US limitations, and started importing it while the competition was still working on clean sheet designs for the US market.

Some of the other aircraft existed on paper and as prototypes, while Evektor was already shipping SportStars which were essentially tweaked EuroStars.
Flight Design also had a EASA microlite flying. The CT line of aircraft has been flying since 1996. I have not been able to find any info on the FAA press conference granting SLSA approvals, but both Evektor and Flight Design both received approval in April 2005 for their aircraft.
Allegro was third in April 2005, and I thought there was one or two more. IIRC the announcement came at Sun'nFun 2005. While Evektor was first I think the others were announced just moments later. One thing for certain Flight Design sold more airplane than anyone else in the first few years.