Soft and Short of it

Here's the place for you to post videos and photos of your favorite airplane or most interesting flight. Commercial posts should go instead into the Want Ads forum.

Moderator: drseti

VL Roberts

Re: Soft and Short of it

Post by VL Roberts »

Can someone explain how to post a picture. I have a photo of a Skycatcher with an unusual paint scheme on my iPad but I can't figure out how to post it.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Here are the instructions for posting pictures :

http://sportpilottalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=688
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
VL Roberts

Post by VL Roberts »

I saw that. It talks about posting a picture from another web site. The photo I have is stored on my iPad and my pc. I can copy the photo to an email but I have no luck here.
chavycha

Post by chavycha »

BrianL99 wrote: With all the tail strikes in the early days, the Cirrus Drivers seemed to want about 20" clearance on landing :)
Wait, there's a way to land a Cirrus that doesn't involve pulling the big red handle?!?! 8)
Scott K. :: A bunch of silly letters
Disclaimer :: Listen to me at your own risk. These are just my opinions...
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

After you click new post scroll down to below the text box where it says browse. Click on browse and find you picture on your device. Once you have the it selected click "add the file". That's it. You may also need to resize the picture.
Attachments
Scan.jpg
Scan.jpg (121.61 KiB) Viewed 8365 times
drseti

Post by drseti »

What aircraft are we looking at here, Tom?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
VL Roberts

Post by VL Roberts »

See if this works
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (104.41 KiB) Viewed 8361 times
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:What aircraft are we looking at here, Tom?
That is the interior of my 1994 Oshkosh Grand Champion Antique 1941 Taylorcraft BL-65 that I restored.
The only reason I posted it is because it was the first aviation related picture I came across in the computer.
drseti

Post by drseti »

And a beautiful picture it is, Tom. Great aircraft, superbly restored. If I'm ever out your way, I want a ride in it!
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:And a beautiful picture it is, Tom. Great aircraft, superbly restored. If I'm ever out your way, I want a ride in it!
I don't have it anymore. I sold it to move on to the next project a clip wing Taylorcraft. It is still sitting in storage after Buying the FBO, getting married, and having kids. I still hold out hope to get to it some day. I have '46 that needs finished too. Just this week I had my 12 year old son take the fabric off the wings. I plan on doing the mods to increase the gross weight to 1280, and I am going to look into boosting that up to 1320.

PS, we are going to log his time helping to go towards his A&P.
azsportpilot

Post by azsportpilot »

FastEddieB wrote:As a data point, Cirrus planes typically have a 7" prop clearance.
for comparison, does anyone know what the prop clearance is on a Piper J-3 Cub when the tail is fully up?

during the acceleration phase of the takeoff where you are holding it on the ground to prevent premature liftoff and the resultant bouncing, the fuselage is horizontal, maybe even a bit "nose down" with a slight amount of added compression on the bungee suspension

during this momentary phase of the takeoff I doubt there is much more than 7in clearance
John Sarra CFI-S
1946 Aeronca Chief

-Mankind has a perfect record in aviation; we never left one up there!
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

azsportpilot wrote: for comparison, does anyone know what the prop clearance is on a Piper J-3 Cub when the tail is fully up?

...during this momentary phase of the takeoff I doubt there is much more than 7in clearance
Sure looks like more than that here:

I would always hold the tail of my Citabrias up to show the student there was lots of prop clearance and little to fear unless the plane was bouncing.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

The prop on a Cub will be nowhere close to the ground in a level position even with the bungees stretched out all the way. In fact I don't think you can get the prop of a Cub on the ground without putting the airplane on its nose. This is based on owning a Cub and about 130 hours of instruction given in the airplane.
Now my dad did have a tailwheel airplane with about 6" of clearance in the level position. He did managed to curl the prop tips when sticking a wheel landing in a fairly strong crosswind one time. After that the prop was shortened to add some clearance.
azsportpilot

Post by azsportpilot »

you guys are right, a lot more clearance, i stand corrected :D
John Sarra CFI-S
1946 Aeronca Chief

-Mankind has a perfect record in aviation; we never left one up there!