KFGU Collegedale TN

Here's the place for you to post videos and photos of your favorite airplane or most interesting flight. Commercial posts should go instead into the Want Ads forum.

Moderator: drseti

drseti

Re: KFGU Collegedale TN

Post by drseti »

Remember that when you flare, the runway will be dropping away from you. This gives the illusion that you're climbing (ballooning). Resist the temptation to force the plane down on the ground; just hold your pitch angle and let the plane settle when it's ready. It will land longer than normal. Don't stall it too high!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
designrs

Post by designrs »

Maybe a little power in on flare, like a soft-field, until you "find the ground"?
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

designrs wrote:Maybe a little power in on flare, like a soft-field, until you "find the ground"?
No need, just be prepared - and patient.

Huge down slope landing to the south at Blue Ridge Skyport - 57GA - with no corresponding upslope at the other end. I found it just makes the whole landing process take longer - with correspondingly more runway required.

For any reasonably lengthed runway, in a Light Sport should not be much of a problem.

I don't think I have a single video of a south landing there - I've only done it a few times.

The video below has a south takeoff there. Just imagine how it would look landing!

http://youtu.be/WUxuaz_WbJc
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
hirschr

Post by hirschr »

Nice pic Flocker! I hope you enjoyed your visit!

FastEddie, I'd love to meet up with if you ever make it to FGU, but Saturday the 22nd is no good for me, I'm full up with prior commitments - including a footbal game in Knoxville! Go Vols :)

Designrs, the professor's advice is spot on. It also doesn't hurt to hold a little power and let her down easy like. But in my experience the biggest thing is don't over think it. It looks worse than it actually is, if you touch down within a few hundred feet of the numbers it really isn't that noticeable. I have seen students in 172's float 1/2 down the runway before they get it on the ground or go around, and my worst (and first) landing there was in a 152 with an instuctor. He had my head full of things to keep in mind and I ended up a little long and she floated aways before plopping down a bit on the rough side. The worst of the "bowl" is in the middle of the runway, If you can get her down in first 1000' you are good.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

If one normally lands power off, I'd say adding power in this case would just add another variable to what is already a slightly unusual landing.

But whatever works!

I may fly tomorrow. If winds allow, I may try a south landing at the Skyport and film it.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

I did go flying today and the winds favored the downward sloping runway at Blue Ridge Skyport.

Got it on film!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkHmA8L ... e=youtu.be
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]